all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Configure Emacs to send Growl notifications on OSX
@ 2009-08-06 17:16 Brian Adkins
       [not found] ` <mailman.4045.1249580806.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Brian Adkins @ 2009-08-06 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

If you use Emacs on OSX and would like the ability to send growl
notifications using Emacs Lisp, the following article may be of
interest:

http://lojic.com/blog/2009/08/06/send-growl-notifications-from-carbon-emacs-on-osx/

I use ERC on Emacs for my IRC client, so it's handy to be able to send
growl notifications. I use Carbon Emacs, but if you use Aquaemacs,
there is a link at the top pointint to the original article that I
modified slightly, so one of the two should be helpful.

Brian

--
Brian Adkins
http://lojic.com/

* Re: Configure Emacs to send Growl notifications on OSX
@ 2009-08-06 17:45 ` Edward O'Connor
       [not found] ` <mailman.4045.1249580806.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2009-08-06 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Adkins; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> If you use Emacs on OSX and would like the ability to send growl
> notifications using Emacs Lisp, the following article may be of
> interest:

Or you could just use growl.el: http://edward.oconnor.cx/elisp/growl.el

Disclaimer: I wrote it.

Ted

@ 2009-08-06 17:53   ` Brian Adkins
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4054.1249584595.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Brian Adkins @ 2009-08-06 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Edward O'Connor" <hober0@gmail.com> writes:

>> If you use Emacs on OSX and would like the ability to send growl
>> notifications using Emacs Lisp, the following article may be of
>> interest:
>
> Or you could just use growl.el: http://edward.oconnor.cx/elisp/growl.el
>
> Disclaimer: I wrote it.
>

> Ted

Thanks Ted.

I did look at growl.el, but I didn't want to install another
program. By not having the dependency on another program, I can simply
copy my Emacs .el files to another machine and go.

--

@ 2009-08-06 18:49     ` Edward O'Connor
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4054.1249584595.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2009-08-06 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Adkins; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> I did look at growl.el, but I didn't want to install another
> program.

If you have Growl installed, you should have growlnotify installed. It
ships with Growl.

@ 2009-08-06 19:17       ` Brian Adkins
From: Brian Adkins @ 2009-08-06 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Edward O'Connor" <hober0@gmail.com> writes:

>> I did look at growl.el, but I didn't want to install another
>> program.
>
> If you have Growl installed, you should have growlnotify installed. It
> ships with Growl.

That doesn't appear to be the case for me:

~$ growlnotify
-bash: growlnotify: command not found
~$ locate growlnotify
~$

Spotlight didn't find it either.

Mac OSX 10.5.7
Growl 1.1.4

I thought their website mentioned installing some "extras" package.

--

@ 2009-08-07  2:56         ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2009-08-07  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

+ Brian Adkins <lojicdotcom@gmail.com>:

> "Edward O'Connor" <hober0@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> I did look at growl.el, but I didn't want to install another
>>> program.
>>
>> If you have Growl installed, you should have growlnotify installed. It
>> ships with Growl.
>
> That doesn't appear to be the case for me:

It ships with Growl, but is not in the .mpgk that gets installed.
If you open the Growl .dmg you will find growlnotify in the Extras
folder.

  -- Bertrand Russell