all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Error when compiling CVS emacs on Mac OS snow leopard
@ 2009-09-03 11:34 ramblex
From: ramblex @ 2009-09-03 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
I recently upgraded Mac OS X to Snow Leopard and tried to compile CVS
emacs; I get the following error:

In file included from nsterm.h:20,
                 from nsterm.m:41:
dispextern.h:1250: error: array type has incomplete element type

the compiler then comes up with a load of errors such as
nsterm.m: In function ‘ns_get_glyph_string_clip_rect’:
nsterm.m:2479: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

I configured with the following command:
./configure --with-ns

My gcc version is:
i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5646)

Having tried to look at the source code it seems to be something to do
with NativeRectangle, which is defined as _NSRect in nsgui.h...I've
tried a few hacks but I don't know enough about how it all works. Any
ideas?

* Re: Error when compiling CVS emacs on Mac OS snow leopard
@ 2009-09-03 20:32 ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-09-03 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I recently upgraded Mac OS X to Snow Leopard and tried to compile CVS
> emacs; I get the following error:

this thread will help:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-08/msg01401.html

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄

@ 2009-09-04 19:39 ` Mark Dickinson
From: Mark Dickinson @ 2009-09-04 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sep 3, 12:34 pm, ramblex <alexdul...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I recently upgraded Mac OS X to Snow Leopard and tried to compile CVS
> emacs; I get the following error:
>
> In file included from nsterm.h:20,
>                  from nsterm.m:41:
> dispextern.h:1250: error: array type has incomplete element type

Replacing the line:

#define NativeRectangle struct _NSRect

in nsgui.h with

#define NativeRectangle NSRect

seems to fix this particular error.  The next problem that turns up
is in nsfont.m, in ns_char_width:

nsfont.m: In function ‘ns_char_width’:
nsfont.m:248: warning: ‘NSFont’ may not respond to ‘-widthOfString:’
nsfont.m:248: warning: (Messages without a matching method signature
nsfont.m:248: warning: will be assumed to return ‘id’ and accept
nsfont.m:248: warning: ‘...’ as arguments.)
nsfont.m:248: error: incompatible types in assignment

Here the problem seems to be that the widthOfString NSFont method
was deprecated, and no longer exists for 64-bit builds.  The fix isn't
at all obvious to me.

--
Mark

* Re: Error when compiling CVS emacs on Mac OS snow leopard
@ 2009-09-05  7:05   ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2009-09-05  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am afraid without ridical changes Cocoa port can not be built on Snow
Leopard.

Cocoa port uses 10.3.9 SDK (at least on my system), while on Snow
Leopard, Xcode supports only 10.4 and up (10.4 support is optional
installation).