all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Display images when running emacs in terminal
@ 2007-05-19  0:17 Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-05-19  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear all,

When running emacs in terminal, what kind of image is supported?

Best,

* Re: Display images when running emacs in terminal
@ 2007-05-19  2:36 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2007-05-19  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 19 May 2007 01:17:51 +0100 Leo wrote:

> When running emacs in terminal, what kind of image is supported?

ASCII art.

David

* Re: Display images when running emacs in terminal
@ 2007-05-22  4:38 ` Xavier Maillard
       [not found]   ` <mailman.963.1179820806.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-05-22  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   Dear all,

   When running emacs in terminal, what kind of image is supported?

It depends on what you 1) called a terminal (TERM value) and 2)
called an image :)

AFAIK, you can use and visualize artist-mode and things like that :)

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: Display images when running emacs in terminal
@ 2007-05-22  7:58   ` Leo
       [not found]   ` <mailman.963.1179820806.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Leo @ 2007-05-22  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

----- Xavier Maillard (2007-05-22) wrote:-----

> It depends on what you 1) called a terminal (TERM value) and 2) called
> an image :)
>
> AFAIK, you can use and visualize artist-mode and things like that :)
>
> 	Xavier

But w3m-img can display image in both linux console and terminal. Can
Emacs do so?

@ 2007-05-22 14:28     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-05-22 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 22 May, 08:58, Leo <sdl....@gmail.com> wrote:

> But w3m-img can display image in both linux console and terminal. Can
> Emacs do so?
>
> --
> Leo <sdl.web AT gmail.com>                         (GPG Key: 9283AA3F)

I don't think there is any benefit in supporting this. People who use
Emacs in an X terminal or the Linux framebuffer console do so by
choice, and would likely be annoyed if Emacs started displaying
images, as that is probably what they are trying to avoid.

* Re: Display images when running emacs in terminal
@ 2007-05-22 19:58       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-05-22 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

----- Jason Rumney (2007-05-22) wrote:-----

>> But w3m-img can display image in both linux console and terminal. Can
>> Emacs do so?
>
> I don't think there is any benefit in supporting this. People who use
> Emacs in an X terminal or the Linux framebuffer console do so by
> choice, and would likely be annoyed if Emacs started displaying
> images, as that is probably what they are trying to avoid.

There are other reasons to use Emacs in terminal and with a 256 color
terminal, it is almost as good as in X. One downside is the display of
images which I found it inconvenient for example when using emacs-w3m.

* Re: Display images when running emacs in terminal
@ 2007-05-22 21:45     ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-05-22 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   But w3m-img can display image in both linux console and terminal. Can
   Emacs do so?

Yes w3m-img can do this but GNU Emacs, by choice or not, does not
provide such support. This is IMO what the majority of
(X)terminal/console users want (so do I).

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: Display images when running emacs in terminal
@ 2007-05-23 17:26       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-05-23 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

----- Xavier Maillard (2007-05-22) wrote:-----

>    But w3m-img can display image in both linux console and terminal. Can
>    Emacs do so?
>
> Yes w3m-img can do this but GNU Emacs, by choice or not, does not
> provide such support. This is IMO what the majority of
> (X)terminal/console users want (so do I).
>
> 	Xavier

So the answer is: currently Emacs does not support such feature. The
majority does not need this feature.

For those interested: I just heard that SXEmacs will develop such
feature.

* Re: Display images when running emacs in terminal
@ 2007-05-23 22:36         ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-05-23 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   ----- Xavier Maillard (2007-05-22) wrote:-----

   >    But w3m-img can display image in both linux console and terminal. Can
   >    Emacs do so?
   >
   > Yes w3m-img can do this but GNU Emacs, by choice or not, does not
   > provide such support. This is IMO what the majority of
   > (X)terminal/console users want (so do I).
   >
   > 	Xavier

   So the answer is: currently Emacs does not support such feature. The
   majority does not need this feature.

Note that if you are interested in making GNU Emacs supporting
this, you could just try to send a patch to the development team.
They will likely appreciate it :)

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org