all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to prevent Gnus from losing connection with nnimap?
@ 2009-03-05 23:57 Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2009-03-05 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello

I'm using Gnus to read emails via IMAP. Every 5 minutes or so Gnus loses
the connection to the server. So, it's impossible to let a Gnus instance
run for a longer time. Even if I compose a longer message I have to save
it in the drafts folder, close Gnus and start it again, before I can
send the message.

Is there any way to automatically refresh the connection every few
minutes?

Thanks for a hint,

Sven

--
Sven Bretfeld
CERES -- CEntrum für REligionswissenschaftliche Studien

* Re: How to prevent Gnus from losing connection with nnimap?
       [not found] <mailman.2453.1236297442.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-03-06  7:42 ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2009-03-06  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Sven Bretfeld" <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> wrote :

| Hello
>
| I'm using Gnus to read emails via IMAP. Every 5 minutes or so Gnus loses
| the connection to the server.

Do you mean it loses the internet connection? If so, it is your machine,
not emacs. Otherwise, gnus needs to connect to your IMAP server only when
it checks mail, and that can be configured. And anyway gnus can work
without being connected to the internet and prepare messages to be sent
later. Have a look at the "Gnus unplugged" entry of the manual.

| So, it's impossible to let a Gnus instance run for a longer time. Even
| if I compose a longer message I have to save it in the drafts folder,
| close Gnus and start it again, before I can send the message.
>
| Is there any way to automatically refresh the connection every few
| minutes?

Well, I have this in my .gnus file (found on the net someday); for groups
with level=2 it makes an automatic check:

=======================================
(defun gnus-demon-scan-mail-or-news-and-update (level)
 "Recherche de news et mail, mise à jour du tampon *Group*."
   (let ((win (current-window-configuration)))
     (unwind-protect
         (save-window-excursion
      (save-excursion
             (when (gnus-alive-p)
               (save-excursion
                 (set-buffer gnus-group-buffer)
                 (gnus-group-get-new-news level)))))
       (set-window-configuration win))))

; level 2: only mail groups are scanned.
  (defun gnus-demon-scan-mail-and-update ()
  "Scan for new mail, updating the *Group* buffer."
    (gnus-demon-scan-mail-or-news-and-update 2))
  (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-mail-and-update 5 nil)
;; ;;

(defun my-check-mail ()
  "Fetch new mails only."
  (gnus-group-get-new-news 2))

(add-hook 'gnus-startup-hook
	  '(lambda ()
	     (gnus-demon-add-handler 'my-check-mail 2 0)))
======================================

hth,
--
Jean

* Re: How to prevent Gnus from losing connection with nnimap?
@ 2009-03-06  9:42   ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2009-03-06  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Magnan de Bornier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Magnan de Bornier <jean@bornier.net> wrote:

> "Sven Bretfeld" <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> wrote :
>
> | Hello
>>
> | I'm using Gnus to read emails via IMAP. Every 5 minutes or so Gnus loses
> | the connection to the server.
>
> Otherwise, gnus needs to connect to your IMAP server only when
> it checks mail, and that can be configured. And anyway gnus can work
> without being connected to the internet and prepare messages to be sent
> later. Have a look at the "Gnus unplugged" entry of the manual.

gnus automatically re-connects when reading email, but I think it does
not re-connect when a sent mail is to be stored in IMAP via
Gcc: (gnus-outgoing-message-group).  I think that might be a bug.

* Re: [Solved] How to prevent Gnus from losing connection with nnimap?
@ 2009-03-09 20:23     ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2009-03-09 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nikolaj Schumacher <me@nschum.de> writes:

>> Otherwise, gnus needs to connect to your IMAP server only when
>> it checks mail, and that can be configured. And anyway gnus can work
>> without being connected to the internet and prepare messages to be sent
>> later. Have a look at the "Gnus unplugged" entry of the manual.
>
> gnus automatically re-connects when reading email, but I think it does
> not re-connect when a sent mail is to be stored in IMAP via
> Gcc: (gnus-outgoing-message-group).  I think that might be a bug.

I switched to ssl instead of tls when logging in. This holds a stable
connection for whatever reason.

Thanks for your help

Sven