all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Company doesn't suggest candidates from TAGS
@ 2014-11-04  5:36 Andrey Lisin
From: Andrey Lisin @ 2014-11-04  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm new to company-mode and have one question (haven't found anything in
documentation).

Here is my use-case. I have C project and use etags to navigate through
it. `company-backends' variable is

(company-bbdb company-nxml company-css company-eclim company-semantic
company-clang company-xcode company-ropemacs company-cmake company-capf
(company-dabbrev-code company-gtags company-etags company-keywords)
company-oddmuse ...)

I have `foobar' variable defined in header file. Now I edit c-file and
start typing `foo'. I expect to see possible complition `foobar', but
nothing happens. But if I run `company-etags' command I see `foobar' in
completions list.

My question is how to make Company to show me etags suggestions by
default, e.g. by company-complete command?

Thank you.

* Re: Company doesn't suggest candidates from TAGS
@ 2014-11-05 15:40 ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2014-11-05 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Lisin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

Andrey Lisin <andrey.lisin@gmail.com> writes:

> I have `foobar' variable defined in header file. Now I edit c-file and
> start typing `foo'. I expect to see possible complition `foobar', but
> nothing happens. But if I run `company-etags' command I see `foobar' in
> completions list.
>
> My question is how to make Company to show me etags suggestions by
> default, e.g. by company-complete command?

If you have Clang installed, or semantic-mode enabled, company-clang or
company-semantic come into play, and backends first in the list have
priority over all that come after.

If you're content with what company-etags gives you, try removing both
`company-semantic' and `company-clang' from company-backends.

* Re: Company doesn't suggest candidates from TAGS
@ 2014-11-05 15:47   ` Andrey Lisin
From: Andrey Lisin @ 2014-11-05 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Understood :)

Actually clang backend works very nice and it's much faster than
CEDET. So my current workflow is something like that: I use clang
backend and in case I need etags I could call `company-etags'
explicitly. It's also seems right approach not to mix different
completion sources.

Thank you for help, Dmitry!