Rasmus writes: > Rainer M Krug writes: > >> Yes - offlineimap is running permanently, but ony checks in specific >> intervalls - the rest of the time it is idling, but can, if told so, >> keep the connection open (and this is what I do in my config). > > This is incorrect. > > In email technology, IDLE is an IMAP feature described in RFC 2177 > that allows a client to indicate to the server that it is ready to > accept real-time notifications. (Wikipedia) > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Sorry - mixed it up with running offlineimap in daemon mode with checking periodically, controlled by the "autorefresh" option. Didn't know about the idlefolders option. > > What you are talking about is polling; like a chron job. This is > inefficient. Why is it inefficient, and inefficient in regards to local resources, time, bandwidth? The connections are kept open, and it is just polling every few minutes. With idlefolders, offlineimap is permanently listening to the server? Rainer > > Rasmus -- Rainer M. Krug email: Rainerkrugsde PGP: 0x0F52F982