all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How do I set up rmail
@ 2003-04-02 16:06 Mikey
From: Mikey @ 2003-04-02 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to use emacs as a mail client.

How do I point it to my mail server?

Do I need to have a .mail file setup?

What should I put in the file?

* Re: How do I set up rmail
@ 2003-04-02 16:17 ` Mikey
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Mikey @ 2003-04-02 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

By the way my email is afs016@bangor.ac.uk and not safslg4z.bangor.ac.uk

Mikey

* Re: How do I set up rmail
@ 2003-04-02 17:15 ` Johan Bockgård
       [not found] ` <afs016@safslg4a.bangor.ac.uk>
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-04-02 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

You might consider using Gnus for mail, as well.

* Re: How do I set up rmail
       [not found] ` <afs016@safslg4a.bangor.ac.uk>
@ 2003-04-02 18:17   ` Peter S Galbraith
From: Peter S Galbraith @ 2003-04-02 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Mikey <afs016@safslg4a.bangor.ac.uk> wrote:

> I am trying to use emacs as a mail client.

You might consider using MH-E for mail, as well.

See http://mh-e.sf.net

* Re: How do I set up rmail
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <afs016@safslg4a.bangor.ac.uk>
@ 2003-04-02 18:21 ` Kai Großjohann
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-02 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mikey <afs016@safslg4a.bangor.ac.uk> writes:

> I am trying to use emacs as a mail client.
> How do I point it to my mail server?

C-h i d m Emacs RET             takes you to the Emacs manual
m Rmail RET                     takes you to the node on RMAIL.

Does this explain what you need?

* Re: How do I set up rmail
@ 2003-04-02 18:52     ` Adam
From: Adam @ 2003-04-02 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Mikey

Or VM

On Wednesday, Apr 2, 2003, at 18:17 Atlantic/Reykjavik, Peter S
Galbraith wrote:

> Mikey <afs016@safslg4a.bangor.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to use emacs as a mail client.
>
> You might consider using MH-E for mail, as well.
>
> See http://mh-e.sf.net

* Re: How do I set up rmail
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-04-02 19:05 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-04-02 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

For sending mail: http://josefsson.org/smtpmail.html

--

* Re: How do I set up rmail
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2003-04-02 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mikey <afs016@safslg4a.bangor.ac.uk> writes:

> I am trying to use emacs as a mail client.
>
> How do I point it to my mail server?
>
> Do I need to have a .mail file setup?
>
> What should I put in the file?

This is described somewhat cryptically in the emacs manual (which kind
of assumes you are getting your mail from a unix mailspool).

What it seems to say is that there is a list called
rmail-primary-inbox-list which should contain the list of mailboxes
you want to use. This should be set in your .emacs file (this is the
file that keeps any changes changes to emacs that shouldn't be reset
when you quit emacs.)

Assuming your copy of emacs supports pop (very likely) you can simply
use po:USERNAME:SERVER as a mailbox in the list rmail-primary-inbox-list.

You can either specify your password in your .emacs file (not a good
idea from a security point of view). Or you can set
rmail-pop-password-required to a value that is not nil (usually it is
a good idea to use t for true), and you will be asked for it when you
run rmail.

If you are new to emacs and emacs lisp (the language that most of
emacs is written in, and which is used for customizations) then all
you have to add to your .emacs file (which you can open by doing C-x
C-f ~/.emacs):

(setq rmail-primary-inbox-list '("po:USERNAME:SERVER")) (setq
rmail-pop-password-required t)

If you have any problems with this feel free to ask.

P.S. Don't forget to replace USERNAME and PASSWORD with your username
and password :)

Hope that helps,
Bijan

* Re: How do I set up rmail
@ 2003-04-02 19:41   ` Bijan Soleymani
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2003-04-02 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:

> You might consider using Gnus for mail, as well.

I use gnus most of the time, but I think rmail is probably simpler for
a beginner. Gnus can be a little overwhelming, what with all the
different back ends, the need to implicitly handle the deleting of
mail (through expiry), and so forth.

Bijan

* Re: How do I set up rmail
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-04-02 19:49 ` Ehud Karni
From: Ehud Karni @ 2003-04-02 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 02 Apr 2003 17:06:57 +0100, Mikey <afs016@safslg4a.bangor.ac.uk> wrote:

> I am trying to use emacs as a mail client.
>
> How do I point it to my mail server?

You don't give much information, but assuming you are referring to an
ISP with pop (reading) and smtp (sending), Add these to your .emacs:

;; General function for reading pop mail:

(defun rmail-get-new-mail-from-pop (pop-host pop-user pop-pass)
  "Get mail from pop server into current rmail file
Accepts 3 parameters (strings):
    POP-HOST - host name of pop server
    POP-USER - login name of mail user
    POP-PASS - password of mail account"
  (interactive "sPOP host name: \nsUser name: \nsMail password: ")
       (let ((sv-host (getenv "MAILHOST"))
             (sv-p-inbox rmail-primary-inbox-list)
             (sv-pass rmail-pop-password)
             (rmail-pop-password-required (not (null pop-pass)))
            )
           (setq rmail-primary-inbox-list (list (concat "po:" pop-user)))
           (rmail-set-pop-password pop-pass)
           (setenv "MAILHOST" pop-host)            ;; pop host name
           (rmail)                                 ;; get mail from pop (rmail)
           (setq rmail-primary-inbox-list sv-p-inbox)
           (setq rmail-pop-password sv-pass)
           (setenv "MAILHOST" sv-host)))           ;; restore host name

;; define specific function for each mail (pop) server

(defun mail-pop-server-1 () "pop mail from account1@server.com"
  (interactive)
       (require 'rmail)                            ;; must have rmail
       (rmail-get-new-mail-from-pop
           "pop.server.internet.name" "user" "password"))
;; of course rename it to something more meaningful (for you)
;; and put the real values for server, ser and password.

;; To read the mail do M-x mail-pop-server-1 (or assign it to a key).

;; Sending mail (by using smtpmail)

(load-library "smtpmail")

(setq mail-default-reply-to "your.email.address")  ;; set
(setq mail-signature-file "~/mail-signature-file") ;; to
(setq mail-signature t)                            ;; your
(setq mail-personal-alias-file "~/.mailrc")        ;; preferences
(setq mail-aliases t)                              ;;
(setq mail-yank-prefix "> ")                       ;;

(setq user-full-name "First Last")
(setq user-mail-address "your.email.address")
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "your.smtp.server")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server smtpmail-default-smtp-server)
(setq smtpmail-local-domain nil)
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-debug-info t)       ;;smtpmail debug in *Messages*
(setq mail-interactive 'wait)

;; Check the help for each variable and function used above !

> Do I need to have a .mail file setup?
>
> What should I put in the file?

For Emacs you do not need anything more.

Ehud.

- --
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 Insurance agencies   (USA) voice mail and   X   Against   HTML   Mail
 http://www.mvs.co.il  FAX:  1-815-5509341  / \
 mailto:ehud@unix.mvs.co.il                  Better  Safe  Than  Sorry

* Re: How do I set up rmail
@ 2003-04-02 20:54     ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-04-02 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> writes:

> bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:
>
>> You might consider using Gnus for mail, as well.
>
> I use gnus most of the time, but I think rmail is probably simpler for
> a beginner. Gnus can be a little overwhelming, what with all the
> different back ends, the need to implicitly handle the deleting of
> mail (through expiry), and so forth.

But the OP is *using* Gnus already (for news), right?