all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Isn't flyspell-use-meta-tab default to nil more optimal?
       [not found] <m24psanp87.fsf@sl392.st-edmunds.cam.ac.uk>
@ 2006-12-06 14:24 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-12-06 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    It seems a convention in emacs packages to use M-TAB to do symbol
    completion. While the default value of flyspell-use-meta-tab is t and
    that will override this key binding in various modes such as
    AUCTeX. Don't you think flyspell-use-meta-tab default to nil more
    optimal?

That would be an improvement in the very specific case you have
mentioned, but it would be inconvenient for all other uses of
Flyspell.  All in all, very much a change for the worse.

However, there might be a clever way that these two functionalities
could coexist on M-TAB.  If someone can figure out a spec that
would enable both functionalities to coexist, I am sure it could
be implemented.  The challenge is to design a good spec that
makes each functionality convenient when you want it.

* Re: Isn't flyspell-use-meta-tab default to nil more optimal?
@ 2006-12-06 14:39   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-12-06 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Leo, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:
>     It seems a convention in emacs packages to use M-TAB to do symbol
>     completion. While the default value of flyspell-use-meta-tab is t and
>     that will override this key binding in various modes such as
>     AUCTeX. Don't you think flyspell-use-meta-tab default to nil more
>     optimal?
>
> That would be an improvement in the very specific case you have
> mentioned, but it would be inconvenient for all other uses of
> Flyspell.  All in all, very much a change for the worse.
>
> However, there might be a clever way that these two functionalities
> could coexist on M-TAB.  If someone can figure out a spec that
> would enable both functionalities to coexist, I am sure it could
> be implemented.  The challenge is to design a good spec that
> makes each functionality convenient when you want it.

Why not check if the major mode uses M-TAB?

* Re: Isn't flyspell-use-meta-tab default to nil more optimal?
@ 2006-12-06 15:14   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2006-12-06 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On WED, 6 DEC 2006, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     It seems a convention in emacs packages to use M-TAB to do symbol
>     completion. While the default value of flyspell-use-meta-tab is t and
>     that will override this key binding in various modes such as
>     AUCTeX. Don't you think flyspell-use-meta-tab default to nil more
>     optimal?
>
> That would be an improvement in the very specific case you have
> mentioned, but it would be inconvenient for all other uses of
> Flyspell.  All in all, very much a change for the worse.

It seems not that bad since `C-.' is also bound to
flyspell-auto-correct-word.

,----[ C-h k C-. ]
| C-. runs the command flyspell-auto-correct-word
|   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `flyspell.el'.
| It is bound to C-..
| (flyspell-auto-correct-word)
|
| Correct the current word.  This command proposes various successive
| corrections for the current word.
`----

regards,
--
Leo

* Re: Isn't flyspell-use-meta-tab default to nil more optimal?
@ 2006-12-07  4:59     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-12-07  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: sdl.web, emacs-devel

    > However, there might be a clever way that these two functionalities
    > could coexist on M-TAB.  If someone can figure out a spec that
    > would enable both functionalities to coexist, I am sure it could
    > be implemented.  The challenge is to design a good spec that
    > makes each functionality convenient when you want it.

    Why not check if the major mode uses M-TAB?

That could be the first step, but then what?

* Re: Isn't flyspell-use-meta-tab default to nil more optimal?
@ 2006-12-07  9:21       ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-12-07  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lennart Borgman, sdl.web, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     > However, there might be a clever way that these two functionalities
>     > could coexist on M-TAB.  If someone can figure out a spec that
>     > would enable both functionalities to coexist, I am sure it could
>     > be implemented.  The challenge is to design a good spec that
>     > makes each functionality convenient when you want it.
>

>     Why not check if the major mode uses M-TAB?
>
> That could be the first step, but then what?

M-TAB often is useless anyway as it is taken by the window manager,
so making a lot of efforts to make other functions use it, doesn't
seem worth it to me.

* Re: Isn't flyspell-use-meta-tab default to nil more optimal?
@ 2006-12-07 17:39         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-12-07 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lennart Borgman, emacs-devel, rms, sdl.web

storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>     > However, there might be a clever way that these two functionalities
>>     > could coexist on M-TAB.  If someone can figure out a spec that
>>     > would enable both functionalities to coexist, I am sure it could
>>     > be implemented.  The challenge is to design a good spec that
>>     > makes each functionality convenient when you want it.
>>

>>     Why not check if the major mode uses M-TAB?
>>
>> That could be the first step, but then what?
>
> M-TAB often is useless anyway as it is taken by the window manager,

Not by all window managers, and besides, Esc TAB isn't, and I actually
use that not infrequently.

@ 2006-12-08  7:16           ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2006-12-08  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, Kim F. Storm

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Not by all window managers, and besides, Esc TAB isn't, and I actually
> use that not infrequently.

C-M-i is much easier to type.

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the

@ 2006-12-08  7:36             ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2006-12-08  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On FRI, 8 DEC 2006, Romain Francoise wrote:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Not by all window managers, and besides, Esc TAB isn't, and I actually
>> use that not infrequently.
>
> C-M-i is much easier to type.

Easier than C-.?

--