all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* delete unneeded buffers
@ 2008-08-19 17:30 Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2008-08-19 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

    does anyone know of a good way to kill unneeded buffers?
    I think of something which kills all unvisible dired
    buffers. Would be nice, if anyone has a suggestion.

Greetings!
 Fabian

* Re: delete unneeded buffers
@ 2008-08-19 18:58 ` Colin S. Miller
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2008-08-19 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Fabian Braennstroem wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     does anyone know of a good way to kill unneeded buffers?
>     I think of something which kills all unvisible dired
>     buffers. Would be nice, if anyone has a suggestion.
>
> Greetings!
>  Fabian
Fabian,

If you use ibuffer instead of buffer (normally on C-x b) you can do this.

To try out ibuffer, use M-x ibuffer-list-buffers.
To replace buffer with ibuffer, place in your
init.el

(require 'ibuffer)
(global-set-key [(control x) (control b)] 'ibuffer-list-buffers)

Once in *Ibuffer*
press
/ m RET dired-mode RET
to list only the dired buffers,
move the cursor to [Default],
then press
d x
to select and delete all dired buffers,
then press
/ /
to list all buffers again.

You can also use
s v
to sort by last view time, and
s m
to sort by major-mode.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.

* RE: delete unneeded buffers
@ 2008-08-19 20:03 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.17073.1219176206.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-08-19 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: f.braennstroem, help-gnu-emacs

>     does anyone know of a good way to kill unneeded buffers?
>     I think of something which kills all unvisible dired
>     buffers. Would be nice, if anyone has a suggestion.

Some possibilities:

* `C-x C-b', then mark the buffers you want to delete, then `x'.

* Use `ibuffer', then mark buffers by regexp or in other ways, then `x'. You can
mark by matching a regexp against buffer name, mode (e.g. Dired), or filename.

* In Icicles, `C-x k', then filter buffers (e.g. by regexp), then `C-!' (act on
all).

* Define your own Icicles multi-command that kills invisible Dired buffers -
they are the only possible completion candidates:

(icicle-define-command kill-invisible-dired-buffer
  "Kill invisible Dired buffer(s)."
  kill-buffer "Kill buffer: "
  (mapcar (lambda (b) (list (buffer-name b)))
          (buffer-list))
  (lambda (b)
    (let ((buf (get-buffer (car b))))
      (and (bufferp buf)
           (not (get-buffer-window buf 'visible))
           (with-current-buffer buf
             (eq major-mode 'dired-mode)))))
  t)

Or, better, to be sure *Completions* is updated properly after killing one or
more buffers, use this in the definition, in place of `kill-buffer':

(lambda (b) (kill-buffer b) (icicle-complete-again-update))

With this command, completion candidates are the invisible Dired buffers. Your
minibuffer input at the prompt matches some of the buffers - it can be a regexp.
(Empty input matches all candidates.)

Use `C-!' to kill all buffers that match. Or click `C-mouse-2' in *Completions
to kill individual buffers (or cycle with the arrow keys and use `C-RET').

You can also select a bunch of candidates with the mouse and then act on them.
There are lots of possibilities -
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_Candidate_Sets.

The real point is that such a command is easy for *you* to define. You just
supply:

* the command name

* the action function: what `C-mouse-2' or `C-RET' does to a single candidate,
and what `C-!' does to each matching candidate

* the usual arguments to `completing-read':

  - prompt string
  - collection of possible candidates
  - predicate to filter those candidates
  - flag saying whether input must match (strict vs lax completion)

* Re: delete unneeded buffers
       [not found] ` <mailman.17073.1219176206.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-08-19 20:14   ` weber
From: weber @ 2008-08-19 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 19, 5:03 pm, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
> >     does anyone know of a good way to kill unneeded buffers?
> >     I think of something which kills all unvisible dired
> >     buffers. Would be nice, if anyone has a suggestion.
>
> Some possibilities:
>
> * `C-x C-b', then mark the buffers you want to delete, then `x'.
>
> * Use `ibuffer', then mark buffers by regexp or in other ways, then `x'. You can
> mark by matching a regexp against buffer name, mode (e.g. Dired), or filename.
>
> * In Icicles, `C-x k', then filter buffers (e.g. by regexp), then `C-!' (act on
> all).
>
> * Define your own Icicles multi-command that kills invisible Dired buffers -
> they are the only possible completion candidates:
>
> (icicle-define-command kill-invisible-dired-buffer
>   "Kill invisible Dired buffer(s)."
>   kill-buffer "Kill buffer: "
>   (mapcar (lambda (b) (list (buffer-name b)))
>           (buffer-list))
>   (lambda (b)
>     (let ((buf (get-buffer (car b))))
>       (and (bufferp buf)
>            (not (get-buffer-window buf 'visible))
>            (with-current-buffer buf
>              (eq major-mode 'dired-mode)))))
>   t)
>
> Or, better, to be sure *Completions* is updated properly after killing one or
> more buffers, use this in the definition, in place of `kill-buffer':
>
> (lambda (b) (kill-buffer b) (icicle-complete-again-update))
>
> With this command, completion candidates are the invisible Dired buffers. Your
> minibuffer input at the prompt matches some of the buffers - it can be a regexp.
> (Empty input matches all candidates.)
>
> Use `C-!' to kill all buffers that match. Or click `C-mouse-2' in *Completions
> to kill individual buffers (or cycle with the arrow keys and use `C-RET').
>
> You can also select a bunch of candidates with the mouse and then act on them.
> There are lots of possibilities -http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_Candidate_Sets.
>
> The real point is that such a command is easy for *you* to define. You just
> supply:
>
> * the command name
>
> * the action function: what `C-mouse-2' or `C-RET' does to a single candidate,
> and what `C-!' does to each matching candidate
>
> * the usual arguments to `completing-read':
>
>   - prompt string
>   - collection of possible candidates
>   - predicate to filter those candidates
>   - flag saying whether input must match (strict vs lax completion)

Another option if you are just bothered with a bunch of *name* buffers
is to customize emacs so they are hidden. I use ido, so i customize
ido-ignore-buffers to achieve that.

* RE: delete unneeded buffers
@ 2008-08-20  1:02   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-08-20  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: f.braennstroem, help-gnu-emacs

I said:

> Some possibilities:
>
> * `C-x C-b', then mark the buffers you want to delete, then `x'.
>
> * Use `ibuffer', then mark buffers by regexp or in other
>   ways, then `x'. You can mark by matching a regexp against
>   buffer name, mode (e.g. Dired), or filename.
>
> * In Icicles, `C-x k', then filter buffers (e.g. by regexp),
>   then `C-!' (act on all).
>
> * Define your own Icicles multi-command that kills invisible
>   Dired buffers

I should have also mentioned that whenever you use an Icicles multi-command,
such as `icicle-buffer' (`C-x b', by default), that asks for buffer-name
completion, you can use `S-delete' to kill individual buffers on the fly. And
you can use `C-u S-delete' to kill all that match your current input, after
confirmation.

`S-delete' also works this way for other kinds of objects during completion. For
`icicle-find-file' (`C-x C-f', by default), for instance, you can use `S-delete'
to delete individual files or `C-u S-delete' to delete all that match your
current input.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_More_About_Multi-Commands

* Re: delete unneeded buffers
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.17073.1219176206.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-08-20  9:50 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-08-20  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: f.braennstroem; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> wrote:

>     does anyone know of a good way to kill unneeded buffers?
>     I think of something which kills all unvisible dired
>     buffers. Would be nice, if anyone has a suggestion.

`clean-buffer-list' might help you out.  It comes with `midnight-mode',
which can also call it periodically.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: delete unneeded buffers
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-08-21  4:51 ` Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2008-08-21  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi to all,

   thanks a lot! I will try to use icicles like Drew
   suggested. The way using ibuffer is not so 'quick', at
   least I am using it for a while and rarely use it...

   Thanks!
   Fabian

* Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     does anyone know of a good way to kill unneeded buffers?
>     I think of something which kills all unvisible dired
>     buffers. Would be nice, if anyone has a suggestion.
>
> Greetings!
>  Fabian

Greetings!
 Fabian