all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* linux/gcc, apostrophs display problem
@ 2009-02-23 13:45 towi
From: towi @ 2009-02-23 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

when gcc prints warnings or errors it puts identifiers in two strange
single-quotes.

When I do "M-x compile" with "gcc textm.c" the apostrophs are printed
fine.

But, when I have a more complex project with automake and libtool and
everything, when I compile "M-x compile" and "make" the apostrophs get
converted somehow so that emacs displays them as octal codes.
For example:

../../../../trunk/src/mediator/Utils/PortingDBMap.cpp:18: warning:
\342\200\230utils::PortingDBMap::entries\342\200\231 should be
initialized in the member initialization list

I realize that the above codes are UTF-8 apostrophs, and when I copy-
pasted them here they even appeared as apostrophs. Therefor, I gather,
the output is still ok in some sense.

But why is it displayed fine this way and quoted the other way? Do I
have to switch the encoding on the "*compilation*" buffer? And how
would I do that? Or can I pass the output through a filter, just
replacing the nasty UTF-8 chars with a simple '-tick? Can I configure
emacs to do this?

Thanks in advance.

tschau, towi.

PS: I am quite versed in Linux and programming in general, but not as
secure in emacs-lisp -- more a copy-and-paste guy in that area... ;-)

* Re: linux/gcc, apostrophs display problem
@ 2009-02-28  8:53 ` Vagn Johansen
From: Vagn Johansen @ 2009-02-28  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

towi <towitowi@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> when gcc prints warnings or errors it puts identifiers in two strange
> single-quotes.
>
> When I do "M-x compile" with "gcc textm.c" the apostrophs are printed
> fine.
>
> But, when I have a more complex project with automake and libtool and
> everything, when I compile "M-x compile" and "make" the apostrophs get
> converted somehow so that emacs displays them as octal codes.
> For example:
>
> ../../../../trunk/src/mediator/Utils/PortingDBMap.cpp:18: warning:
> \342\200\230utils::PortingDBMap::entries\342\200\231 should be
> initialized in the member initialization list
>
> I realize that the above codes are UTF-8 apostrophs, and when I copy-
> pasted them here they even appeared as apostrophs. Therefor, I gather,
> the output is still ok in some sense.
>
> But why is it displayed fine this way and quoted the other way?

fine? you mean differently?

It is probably because of different settings of an environment
variable.

I am able to get different quotes by modifying the LANG variable.

Read more about it here

http://www.mcs.vuw.ac.nz/cgi-bin/info2www?(gcc)Environment+Variables

>> Do I
> have to switch the encoding on the "*compilation*" buffer? And how
> would I do that? Or can I pass the output through a filter, just
> replacing the nasty UTF-8 chars with a simple '-tick? Can I configure
> emacs to do this?

I use the code below to replace the UTF-8 chars with ` and '

(unless standard-display-table          ; Default value is nil!
  (setq standard-display-table (make-display-table)))

(aset standard-display-table #x53978 [96])
(aset standard-display-table #x53979 [39])

--
Vagn Johansen

* Re: linux/gcc, apostrophs display problem
@ 2009-03-04 15:20   ` towi
From: towi @ 2009-03-04 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

"""
(unless standard-display-table          ; Default value is nil!
   (setq standard-display-table (make-display-table)))
 (aset standard-display-table #x53978 [96])
 (aset standard-display-table #x53979 [39])
"""
into .emacs and.... it works! Hey, great! Unbeliable. Do I understand
this...?
Sort of...
  #x53978
is the emacs-internal represenation of that apostroph? What _is_
emacs' internal representation of characters? Can I use this also to
replace all tabs with '*' or all spaces with '_'? lets try...
"""
(aset standard-display-table ?U [?X] )
"""
Cool, making an "X" from a "U" :-). Ok, understuud. Thanks, that was
exacltly what I wanted to know.

I do not recognize the "?..." and "[?...]" form of the arguments here,
they came from the documentation of "standard-display-table". Can I
trouble you to give me an additional hint here?

thanks,
tschau, towi.

@ 2009-03-04 15:37     ` towi
From: towi @ 2009-03-04 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello^2,

> """
> (unless standard-display-table          ; Default value is nil!
>    (setq standard-display-table (make-display-table)))
>  (aset standard-display-table #x53978 [96])
>  (aset standard-display-table #x53979 [39])
> """
> into .emacs and.... it works! Hey, great! Unbeliable. Do I understand

ups, I was wrong. I forgot that I got this only in with automake
Makefile "make" emacs-compiles, not when I directly call "gcc" in the
emacs-compile.

But: a) you display-table-tip is also ver useful
and b) your other tip works. now really.

  M-x compile
  LC_ALL=ascii make all
now does _not_ display this nasty UTF-8 apostrophs.

and if I want them back, I can get them with
  M-x compile
  LANG=en_GB.UTF-8 make all
superb.

thanks again.