all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Vagn Johansen <gonz808@hotmail.com>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: linux/gcc, apostrophs display problem
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 09:53:07 +0100	[thread overview]

towi <towitowi@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> when gcc prints warnings or errors it puts identifiers in two strange
> single-quotes.
>
> When I do "M-x compile" with "gcc textm.c" the apostrophs are printed
> fine.
>
> But, when I have a more complex project with automake and libtool and
> everything, when I compile "M-x compile" and "make" the apostrophs get
> converted somehow so that emacs displays them as octal codes.
> For example:
>
> ../../../../trunk/src/mediator/Utils/PortingDBMap.cpp:18: warning:
> \342\200\230utils::PortingDBMap::entries\342\200\231 should be
> initialized in the member initialization list
>
> I realize that the above codes are UTF-8 apostrophs, and when I copy-
> pasted them here they even appeared as apostrophs. Therefor, I gather,
> the output is still ok in some sense.
>
> But why is it displayed fine this way and quoted the other way?

fine? you mean differently?

It is probably because of different settings of an environment
variable.

I am able to get different quotes by modifying the LANG variable.

Read more about it here

http://www.mcs.vuw.ac.nz/cgi-bin/info2www?(gcc)Environment+Variables

>> Do I
> have to switch the encoding on the "*compilation*" buffer? And how
> would I do that? Or can I pass the output through a filter, just
> replacing the nasty UTF-8 chars with a simple '-tick? Can I configure
> emacs to do this?

I use the code below to replace the UTF-8 chars with ` and '

(unless standard-display-table          ; Default value is nil!
  (setq standard-display-table (make-display-table)))

(aset standard-display-table #x53978 [96])
(aset standard-display-table #x53979 [39])

--
Vagn Johansen