all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* M-x in Evil mode
@ 2015-11-29  1:20 wiehen
From: wiehen @ 2015-11-29  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi.

I am new to emacs, so my doubt may be really basic. But I could not solve it with research.

How am I supposed to execute commands (M-x), when working in Evil mode, as Vim uses <ESC> already?

I am on MacOS, executing Emacs in the terminal. When I use Emacs without Evil mode, <ESC> works for M-x.

I also have problems getting Emacs help in Evil mode

Thank you.

* Re: M-x in Evil mode
@ 2015-11-29  5:39 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2015-11-29  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wiehen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

wiehen@gmail.com [2015-11-28 17:20:05-08] wrote:

> How am I supposed to execute commands (M-x), when working in Evil
> mode, as Vim uses <ESC> already?
>
> I am on MacOS, executing Emacs in the terminal. When I use Emacs
> without Evil mode, <ESC> works for M-x.

This depends on your terminal settings. Usually left Alt key is
configured to send Meta to the terminal. I don't have OS X terminal so I
can't give specific instructions but maybe there is an option like "Left
Alt is Meta" somewhere. (Or was Alt key called "option key"?)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: M-x in Evil mode
@ 2015-11-29  6:27   ` Random832
From: Random832 @ 2015-11-29  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:
> wiehen@gmail.com [2015-11-28 17:20:05-08] wrote:
>> How am I supposed to execute commands (M-x), when working in Evil
>> mode, as Vim uses <ESC> already?
>>
>> I am on MacOS, executing Emacs in the terminal. When I use Emacs
>> without Evil mode, <ESC> works for M-x.
>
> This depends on your terminal settings. Usually left Alt key is
> configured to send Meta to the terminal. I don't have OS X terminal so I
> can't give specific instructions but maybe there is an option like "Left
> Alt is Meta" somewhere. (Or was Alt key called "option key"?)

From some testing (using Terminal.app and iTerm2), I haven't had trouble
with the meta (alt/option) key in evil or viper modes even when they do
send ESC (which I find works better for other applications and for
avoiding confusion with unicode input). It distinguishes it somehow from
pressing Esc separately and then e.g. x; I assume by some very quick
timeout.

If you're using Terminal.app, you have to enable "Use Option as Meta
key" in your profile's keyboard settings.

* Re: M-x in Evil mode
@ 2015-11-29 22:00 ` Frank Haun
From: Frank Haun @ 2015-11-29 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 17:20:05 -0800 (PST), wiehen@gmail.com wrote:

> I am new to emacs, so my doubt may be really basic. But I could not
> solve it with research.
>
> How am I supposed to execute commands (M-x), when working in Evil
> mode, as Vim uses <ESC> already?

: runs the command evil-ex

You can type emacs commands from this including completion when tabbing.

Frank

* Re: M-x in Evil mode
@ 2015-11-30 21:34 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-11-30 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Saturday, 28 Nov 2015 at 17:20, wiehen@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am new to emacs, so my doubt may be really basic. But I could not
> solve it with research.
>
> How am I supposed to execute commands (M-x), when working in Evil
> mode, as Vim uses <ESC> already?

You have had other answers but another option is to use the \ evil
command which allows you to execute any emacs key stroke as if evil were
not running:

,----[ C-h k \ ]

`----

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.5.1 + Ma Gnus v0.14 + evil-git-ff74cfb

* Re: M-x in Evil mode
@ 2015-11-30 22:40   ` Frank Haun
From: Frank Haun @ 2015-11-30 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 21:34:07 +0000, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> On Saturday, 28 Nov 2015 at 17:20, wiehen@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> I am new to emacs, so my doubt may be really basic. But I could not
>> solve it with research.
>>
>> How am I supposed to execute commands (M-x), when working in Evil
>> mode, as Vim uses <ESC> already?
>
> You have had other answers but another option is to use the \ evil
> command which allows you to execute any emacs key stroke as if evil were
> not running:

> | \ runs the command evil-execute-in-emacs-state, which is an
> | interactive compiled Lisp function in `evil-commands.el'.
> |
> | It is bound to \.
> |
> | (evil-execute-in-emacs-state)
> |
> | Execute the next command in Emacs state.
> `----

Ah yes, that's nice and does also in visual state.

Frank