This is a wishlist item for the implementation of what was discussed recently on emacs-devel, namely using a larger output buffer, and avoiding fflush as a means of improving tty display update speed. The patch below is my first take on that. It adds a low-level interface consisting of two functions tty--set-output-buffer-size and tty-output-buffer-size to change and retrieve the output buffer size of a device. A buffer size of 0 is taken to mean "do what we did since 1991, and a non-zero value is used as the buffer size set with setvbuf. Default is currently to do everything as it always was. One has to do something like (tty--set-output-buffer-size (* 64 1024)) to change to the new behavior. Feedback welcome, especially for the default, i.e. leaving everything as-is, and for the Lisp interface.