all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Carbon frame dimensions
@ 2003-11-29 16:15 Matthew Calhoun
From: Matthew Calhoun @ 2003-11-29 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm using Carbon Emacs 21.3.50.1. I have the lines

(setq default-frame-alist '((width . 148)
	(height . 54)))
(setq initial-frame-alist '((top . 10)
	(left . 230)))

in my .emacs, which make a nice big Emacs frame on the right side of
the screen... eventually. As Emacs starts up, the frame appears first
on the left side of the screen, then it shrinks a little, then it
shrinks some more, then it finally goes to the position and dimensions
I specified. What I would like to know is where those other
position/dimensions are specified, and whether I can change them. I'm
trying to eliminate all of that jumping around of the frame.

Thanks for any help,
Matt

* Re: Carbon frame dimensions
       [not found] <mailman.786.1070126228.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-11-29 16:50 ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-11-29 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthew Calhoun <calhounm@mac.com> writes:

<snip>  And a piggy-backed related question.  Each Carbon version of
Meacs I have used opens with the bottom of the window- the
minibuffer- off the bottom of the screen and I have to resize the
window.  Can I correct this from happening in the first place?

@ 2003-12-02 17:33 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-12-02 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthew Calhoun wrote:

> I'm using Carbon Emacs 21.3.50.1. I have the lines
>
> (setq default-frame-alist '((width . 148)
>     (height . 54)))
> (setq initial-frame-alist '((top . 10)
>     (left . 230)))
>
> in my .emacs, which make a nice big Emacs frame on the right side of the
> screen... eventually. As Emacs starts up, the frame appears first on the
> left side of the screen, then it shrinks a little, then it shrinks some
> more, then it finally goes to the position and dimensions I specified.
> What I would like to know is where those other position/dimensions are
> specified, and whether I can change them. I'm trying to eliminate all of
> that jumping around of the frame.

Does Carbon support X resources?  If so, you could specify those frame

parameters in your ~/.Xdefaults file:

emacs.geometry: 148x54+230+10

Or you could specify the geometry on the command line:

	emacs --geometry=148x54+230+10
	emacs --xrm=emacs.geometry:148x54+230+10

--
Kevin Rodgers