all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gdb-ui & Mac OS X...
@ 2004-02-21 23:41 Ken Coleman
From: Ken Coleman @ 2004-02-21 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to get gdb-ui working with the CVS version of emacs
under Mac OS X 10.3.2.  There are a couple of issues I'm experiencing,
and was wondering if it's a setup problem on my end or a bug in
gdb-ui.  Here's what I'm doing.

1. I have a tiny test program in the active buffer, and I do M-x gdba.

2. I run gdba (like this) with the default, which is "gdb -annotate=3
   a.out".

3. This gives me multiple errors into the *Messages* buffer.  Namely:

error in process filter: gdb-pre-prompt: Phase error in gdb-pre-prompt
(got pre-emacs) error in process filter: Phase error in gdb-pre-prompt
(got pre-emacs)

4. At this point I see the split frame with my test.cxx and the
   *gud-a.out* buffer.

5. I choose Gud->GDB-UI->Display other windows and the various other
   windows appear in the frame.

6. Now I start debugging the program, but the other windows never
   update - the locals, the stack, etc.  If I kill them and re-create
   them using the various items under the Gud menu, they are
   temporarily correct, but they do not update as I am stepping
   through the program as I would expect.

7. If I add watches, the speedbar comes up with the watches, but there
   are no values for the watched variables, only the watched variable
   names.

Is this the expected behavior?  Does anyone else have GDB-UI working
well under OS X?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
- Ken.
ken_coleman@iname.com

* Re: gdb-ui & Mac OS X...
@ 2004-02-23 18:53 Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2004-02-23 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> I've been trying to get gdb-ui working with the CVS version of emacs
> under Mac OS X 10.3.2.  There are a couple of issues I'm experiencing,
> and was wondering if it's a setup problem on my end or a bug in
> gdb-ui.  Here's what I'm doing.

> 1. I have a tiny test program in the active buffer, and I do M-x gdba.

> 2. I run gdba (like this) with the default, which is "gdb -annotate=3
>    a.out".

Thats right, or you can just use M-x gdb with the current version in CVS.

> 3. This gives me multiple errors into the *Messages* buffer.  Namely:

> error in process filter: gdb-pre-prompt: Phase error in gdb-pre-prompt
> (got pre-emacs) error in process filter: Phase error in gdb-pre-prompt
> (got pre-emacs)

This shouldn't happen. Something has clearly gone wrong. It may be that
your version of gdb isn't generating a full set of annotations. If you
type "gdb -ann=3 a.out" in an xterm you should get something like:

GNU gdb 5.2.1-2mdk (Mandrake Linux)
This GDB was configured as "i586-mandrake-linux-gnu"...
^Z^Zbreakpoints-invalid

^Z^Zframes-invalid

^Z^Zpre-prompt
(gdb)
^Z^Zprompt

The ^Z characters might be printed differently but you need the pre-prompt and
prompt annotations. What do you get?

Please post any reply to me and cc to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org

    Nick                                         http://www.nick.uklinux.net