Leo writes: > Tried your new patch. It doesn't work for me. For example, when I typed > 'M-x e l m TAB', it didn't expand to "e-l-m". Is this > intended? Yes, it was. My feeling was that this kind of completion is sort of a guess, so moving the point and inserting "-" would more likely be annoying rather than helpful. Having used it more, though, I think doing the expansion might be best. Does the attached patch do the right thing? I think it has the desired behavior: if "xyz" has multiple completions, it behaves just like "x-y-z", but if it has none, both point and "xyz" are left intact. However PC-do-completions, at 392 lines, is somewhat frightening, so I may have done something wrong. As unrelated issue, I noticed that PC-lisp-complete-symbol could stand to be improved. Try this: (insert "(mvb") (PC-lisp-complete-symbol) (insert "u") (PC-lisp-complete-symbol) There's already a commented-out version of the fix in complete.el, which should probably be enabled. /s