all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Org-mode emacs help
@ 2007-06-21  6:59 Ankur Jain
From: Ankur Jain @ 2007-06-21  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I want to try out org-mode for emacs. I got it bundled with Emacs 22.1 on
Windows XP.

Now, I've inserted the following lines into my .emacs as per the
instructions given at :
http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org.html

;;***************************************************************
;; Org Mode Settings
;;***************************************************************

;; The following lines are always needed.  Choose your own keys.
     (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode))
     (define-key global-map "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
     (define-key global-map "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)

After that how do I start using Org-mode?

Do I need to create some file or anything else needs to be configured?

Please help.

Ankur Jain

http://ankurjain.org

* Re: Org-mode emacs help
@ 2007-06-21  7:39 ` Dmitry Dzhus
       [not found] ` <mailman.2509.1182497354.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dmitry Dzhus @ 2007-06-21  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can start editing (or create new) a file with extension ".org".

You may also enable org-mode explicitly typing `M-x org-mode RET`.
--
Happy Hacking.

Dmitry "Sphinx" Dzhus
http://sphinx.net.ru

* Re: Org-mode emacs help
       [not found] <mailman.2483.1182409165.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-06-21  8:08 ` Anupam Sengupta
From: Anupam Sengupta @ 2007-06-21  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Ankur> Now, I've inserted the following lines into my .emacs ...

    Ankur> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode))

This associates all files ending with the '.org' extension with org-mode.

    Ankur> (define-key global-map "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)

This defines a key in the global key map which allows C-c l to store an org-mode
link.

    Ankur> (define-key global-map "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)

Another global key map to display the agenda using the C-c a keys.

    Ankur> After that how do I start using Org-mode?

>From #1 above, any file (existing or new) that has a '.org' extension will
automatically be in org-mode.

Try C-x C-f test.org and see if the org-mode is enabled (the status bar should
have 'Org-mode' listed).

Or, you can just do M-x org-mode while in any buffer, and the Org-mode major
mode will be enabled for that buffer.

    Ankur> Do I need to create some file or anything else needs to be
    Ankur> configured?

No. You have configured it already. Other *customizations* are certainly
possible.

P.S: Do read http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org.html#Activation
which has all the relevant details.

--
Anupam

* Re: Org-mode emacs help
@ 2007-06-21  8:15 ` Leo
       [not found] ` <mailman.2509.1182497354.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Leo @ 2007-06-21  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

----- Ankur Jain (2007-06-21) wrote:-----

> After that how do I start using Org-mode?
>
> Do I need to create some file or anything else needs to be configured?

http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/OrgTutorial.html

* Re: Org-mode emacs help
       [not found] ` <mailman.2509.1182497354.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-06-22  7:43   ` Ankur
From: Ankur @ 2007-06-22  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 21, 12:39 pm, Dmitry Dzhus <m...@sphinx.net.ru> wrote:
> You can start editing (or create new) a file with extension ".org".
>
> You may also enable org-mode explicitly typing `M-x org-mode RET`.
> --
> Happy Hacking.
>
> Dmitry "Sphinx" Dzhushttp://sphinx.net.ru

Thank you all, after creating a sample.org file, I could follow and
implement all the functions mentioned in the Org-mode tutorial.

Thanks a lot.

But one more thing, can I define all the tasks/todos at the time level
instead at day level? Say, I get the list of tasks sorted by time for
a day and may be some kind of reminders? :D

Regards
Ankur Jain

* Re: Org-mode emacs help
@ 2007-06-22  8:33     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-06-22  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Ankur,

,----[ (info "(org)Creating timestamps") ]
| `C-c .'
|      Prompt for a date and insert a corresponding time stamp.  When the
|      cursor is at a previously used time stamp, it is updated to NOW.
|      When this command is used twice in succession, a time range is
|      inserted.
|
| `C-u C-c .'
|      Like `C-c .', but use the alternative format which contains date
|      and time.  The default time can be rounded to multiples of 5
|      minutes, see the option `org-time-stamp-rounding-minutes'.
`----

HTH,
Tassilo
--
If programmers deserve to  be rewarded for creating innovative programs,
by the same  token they deserve to be punished if  they restrict the use