all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* mac os et emacs
@ 2007-11-12  8:55 Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-11-12  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, i look to purchase a laptop and i would like to know if emacs work
fine on mac.Can we only use Carbonemacs or is it possible to compile a
emacs-23.0.60 on it without problems ?(i use this version actually)
Thank you in advance
--
A + Thierry
pubkey: http://pgp.mit.edu/

* Re: mac os et emacs
@ 2007-11-12 10:13 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.3327.1194862408.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-11-12 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.11.2007 um 09:55 schrieb Thierry Volpiatto:

> Hi, i look to purchase a laptop and i would like to know if emacs work
> fine on mac.Can we only use Carbonemacs or is it possible to compile a
> emacs-23.0.60 on it without problems ?(i use this version actually)

Until some days ago it worked to compile the X client version of GNU
Emacs 23.0.60. Yesterday some code merged from TRUNK introduced an
error. When this was corrected, a new one appeared ...

Neither the CVS code of GNU Emacs 23.0.50 (multi-tty patch, MULE) nor
that of Unicode Emacs 23.0.60 can be compiled to build Carbon Emacs –
no developers efforts. As a compromise you can compile Unicode Emacs
23.0.0, and you can use Emacs.app, the Cocoa version of Unicode Emacs
23.0.0, how 23.0.60 was called until some weeks ago: http://emacs-
app.sourceforge.net/. Some day, hopefully this year, it might be
upgraded to use the 23.0.60 code base.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Ce qui été compris n'existe plus.    (Paul Eluard)

* Re: mac os et emacs
@ 2007-11-12 11:13   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-11-12 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 12.11.2007 um 09:55 schrieb Thierry Volpiatto:
>
>> Hi, i look to purchase a laptop and i would like to know if emacs work
>> fine on mac.Can we only use Carbonemacs or is it possible to compile a
>> emacs-23.0.60 on it without problems ?(i use this version actually)
>
> Until some days ago it worked to compile the X client version of GNU
> Emacs 23.0.60. Yesterday some code merged from TRUNK introduced an
> error. When this was corrected, a new one appeared ...
>
> Neither the CVS code of GNU Emacs 23.0.50 (multi-tty patch, MULE) nor
> that of Unicode Emacs 23.0.60 can be compiled to build Carbon Emacs –
> no developers efforts. As a compromise you can compile Unicode Emacs
> 23.0.0, and you can use Emacs.app, the Cocoa version of Unicode Emacs
> 23.0.0, how 23.0.60 was called until some weeks ago: http://emacs-
> app.sourceforge.net/. Some day, hopefully this year, it might be
> upgraded to use the 23.0.60 code base.
Thank you for your quick answer.
--
A + Thierry
pubkey: http://pgp.mit.edu/

* Re: mac os et emacs
@ 2007-11-12 20:41 ` Frank Murray
       [not found] ` <mailman.3327.1194862408.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Frank Murray @ 2007-11-12 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Yes, go to the gnu.org website and download the source code.

The latest Emacs version for Mac OS X running under the Terminal window
is v22.1.

Other "help-gnu-emacs" members can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

fjm

On 12 Nov 2007, at 03:55 , Thierry Volpiatto wrote:

> Hi, i look to purchase a laptop and i would like to know if emacs work
> fine on mac.Can we only use Carbonemacs or is it possible to compile a
> emacs-23.0.60 on it without problems ?(i use this version actually)
> Thank you in advance
> --
> A + Thierry
> pubkey: http://pgp.mit.edu/

* Re: mac os et emacs
@ 2007-11-12 21:06   ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3393.1194911836.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-11-12 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Murray; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thank you for your answer, not sure i am going to purchase a mac at the
moment due to the problems with emacs on this os.
Difficult to find a laptop without windows on it!

Frank Murray <fjmurray1@mac.com> writes:

> Yes, go to the gnu.org website and download the source code.
>
> The latest Emacs version for Mac OS X running under the Terminal window
> is v22.1.
>
> Other "help-gnu-emacs" members can correct me if I'm wrong on that.
>
> fjm
>
> On 12 Nov 2007, at 03:55 , Thierry Volpiatto wrote:
>
>> Hi, i look to purchase a laptop and i would like to know if emacs work
>> fine on mac.Can we only use Carbonemacs or is it possible to compile a
>> emacs-23.0.60 on it without problems ?(i use this version actually)
>> Thank you in advance
>> --
>> A + Thierry
>> pubkey: http://pgp.mit.edu/

A + Thierry
pubkey: http://pgp.mit.edu/

* Re: mac os et emacs
@ 2007-11-12 23:57   ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3393.1194911836.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-11-12 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Murray; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.11.2007 um 21:41 schrieb Frank Murray:

> The latest Emacs version for Mac OS X running under the Terminal
> window
> is v22.1.

You're wrong: 23.0.50 and 23.0.60 run both in Terminal. And so do the
Carbon Emacsen (/Applications/Carbon\ Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -
nw). Cocoa Emacs.app seems to be able to run in Terminal when on
intel based hardware.

--
Greetings

   Pete

To drink without thirst and to make love all the time, madam, it is
only these which distinguish us from the other beasts.  — Beaumarchais

* Re: mac os et emacs
@ 2007-11-12 23:59     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-11-12 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.11.2007 um 22:06 schrieb Thierry Volpiatto:

> not sure i am going to purchase a mac at the
> moment due to the problems with emacs on this os.
> Difficult to find a laptop without windows on it!

You can have MS Losedos on a MacBook (Pro) too: Apple's Bootcamp
allows this. And you can host other OSes on this hardware.

--
Greetings

   Pete

When confronted with actual numbers, a mathematician is at a loss.
                                          (Steffen Hokland)

* Re: mac os et emacs
@ 2007-11-13  4:00       ` Frank Murray
From: Frank Murray @ 2007-11-13  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Installing Parallels on a MacBook or MacBook Pro is also
an option.  Apple will come out with a Bootcamp app or related
that allows you more flexibility.

You have the option of installing Windows.

fjm

On 12 Nov 2007, at 18:59 , Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 12.11.2007 um 22:06 schrieb Thierry Volpiatto:
>
>> not sure i am going to purchase a mac at the
>> moment due to the problems with emacs on this os.
>> Difficult to find a laptop without windows on it!
>
> You can have MS Losedos on a MacBook (Pro) too: Apple's Bootcamp
> allows this. And you can host other OSes on this hardware.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete
>
> When confronted with actual numbers, a mathematician is at a loss.
>                                          (Steffen Hokland)

* Re: mac os et emacs
@ 2007-11-13  6:08       ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found]         ` <mailman.3425.1194949353.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-11-13  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 12.11.2007 um 22:06 schrieb Thierry Volpiatto:
>
>> not sure i am going to purchase a mac at the
>> moment due to the problems with emacs on this os.
>> Difficult to find a laptop without windows on it!
>
> You can have MS Losedos on a MacBook (Pro) too: Apple's Bootcamp
> allows this. And you can host other OSes on this hardware.

Sorry for my english: what i wanted to say it's most of the laptop
available are with windose and i want to buy a pc without this os and
not with!
I use win really few and only in a virtual machine to test some of my
python scripts i give to friends who have only windrole.

I found a dell with unbuntu on it, it seem nice.
And on linux i am sure i can install emacs any version easily.
it's half price too! mac is really expensive.
Thank's for your tips.

--
A + Thierry
pubkey: http://pgp.mit.edu/

* Re: mac os et emacs
       [not found] ` <mailman.3327.1194862408.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-11-13  7:17   ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2007-11-13  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

+ Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>:

> Neither the CVS code of GNU Emacs 23.0.50 (multi-tty patch, MULE) nor
> that of Unicode Emacs 23.0.60 can be compiled to build Carbon Emacs –
> no developers efforts. As a compromise you can compile Unicode Emacs
> 23.0.0,

I was going to ask more details, but then I found some answers in the
thread starting at

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-10/msg00260.html

Just thought I'd mention that in case others want to know too.

  -- Bertrand Russell

* Re: mac os et emacs
@ 2007-11-13 10:22         ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]         ` <mailman.3425.1194949353.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-11-13 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.11.2007 um 07:08 schrieb Thierry Volpiatto:

> I found a dell with unbuntu on it, it seem nice.
> And on linux i am sure i can install emacs any version easily.

Ubuntu ist not any Linux. It has a package driven way to install
software. So it's not that recommended to install some software ad
hoc. And you become a bit dependent ... which is also quite true for
Mac OS X and Fink or MacPorts, that both deliver more and more up-to-
date software packages for Mac OS X.

> it's half price too! mac is really expensive.

The MacBook without Pro is cheap, too. Compare also internal values,
display, durability, cost and availability of service and spare
parts, expected life period, resell value after used up ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

“One cannot live by television, video games, top ten CDs, and dumb
movies alone”
       (Amiri Baraka 1999)

* Re: mac os et emacs
       [not found]         ` <mailman.3425.1194949353.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-11-14 15:53           ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]             ` <mailman.3571.1195101563.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-11-14 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> I found a dell with unbuntu on it, it seem nice.
>> And on linux i am sure i can install emacs any version easily.

> Ubuntu ist not any Linux.  It has a package driven way to install
> software.  So it's not that recommended to install some software ad
> hoc.  And you become a bit dependent ... which is also quite true for
> Mac OS X and Fink or MacPorts, that both deliver more and more up-to-
> date software packages for Mac OS X.

Huh?  That's true of *any* OS nowadays, but you can still
compile&install your own packages in /usr/local as much as you like.
I have no idea where you get your idea that it's "not that recommended".
BTW, please write GNU/Linux when talking about whole distributions.

> The MacBook without Pro is cheap, too.  Compare also internal values,
> display, durability, cost and availability of service and spare parts,
> expected life period, resell value after used up ...

Count the number of buttons on the pointing device as well.
Especially if you like to use Emacs which makes good use of all
3 buttons.

        Stefan "Thinkpad addict"

PS: I'm personally not sure that Apple is any less evil than Microsoft.

* Re: mac os et emacs
@ 2007-11-15  4:39             ` William Xu
       [not found]             ` <mailman.3571.1195101563.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: William Xu @ 2007-11-15  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Count the number of buttons on the pointing device as well.
> Especially if you like to use Emacs which makes good use of all
> 3 buttons.

It's perfectly okay to use other producers' mice on Apple's machines.

Besides, Apple's own mighty mouse is configurable, it can have four
buttons at maximum(left, right, middle, side). Anyway, i'm not satisfied
with it myself, its middle key can easily stop working due to dusty,
which requires one to clean it time by time..

>         Stefan "Thinkpad addict"

That Thinkpad doesn't have a touchpad keeps me away from it..

> PS: I'm personally not sure that Apple is any less evil than Microsoft.

At least Apple is more friendly to free software(or open source
software) community. Also, Apple's OS is far better than Microsoft's.
It's actually enjoyable, with its well-designed UI.

ps. I find the font display of GNU Emacs(carbon emacs) on macosx seems
the best, compared to my previous experiences on gnu/linux, windows xp,
etc.

--
William

* Re: mac os et emacs
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3393.1194911836.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-11-15 18:31     ` Warren Oates
From: Warren Oates @ 2007-11-15 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.3393.1194911836.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

> You're wrong: 23.0.50 and 23.0.60 run both in Terminal. And so do the
> Carbon Emacsen (/Applications/Carbon\ Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -
> nw). Cocoa Emacs.app seems to be able to run in Terminal when on
> intel based hardware.

You're right about 23.0.50 in the CLI, but the Carbon port is hosed and
there's a note in the Changelog saying it's "deprecated."
--
W. Oates

* Re: mac os et emacs
       [not found]             ` <mailman.3571.1195101563.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-11-18  4:57               ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-11-18  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Count the number of buttons on the pointing device as well.
>> Especially if you like to use Emacs which makes good use of all
>> 3 buttons.

> It's perfectly okay to use other producers' mice on Apple's machines.

I believe we're talking laptops here, so the number of buttons is
relevant, unless you always use your laptop with a mouse on the side.
I don't, and I don't know anybody who does.

>> Stefan "Thinkpad addict"
> That Thinkpad doesn't have a touchpad keeps me away from it..

All Thinkpad keyboards have both trackpoints and touchpads (except that
one on the X series).
I do agree that the two-finger motion on the Thinkpad touchpad doesn't
work as nicely as on the Macbook Pro because the touchpad is a good
bit smaller.

>> PS: I'm personally not sure that Apple is any less evil than Microsoft.

> At least Apple is more friendly to free software(or open source
> software) community.

That's the thing of which I'm not sure.  Maybe it is.  But I fear that
it's simply much more clever, and instead of fighting the community it
pretends to play along with it.  But if you look at the way it tries to
lock its users, it smells like bad old proprietary all the way.

* Re: mac os et emacs
@ 2007-11-18  6:31                 ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-11-18  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>>> Count the number of buttons on the pointing device as well.
>>> Especially if you like to use Emacs which makes good use of all
>>> 3 buttons.
>
>> It's perfectly okay to use other producers' mice on Apple's machines.
>
> I believe we're talking laptops here, so the number of buttons is
> relevant, unless you always use your laptop with a mouse on the side.
> I don't, and I don't know anybody who does.
>
>>> Stefan "Thinkpad addict"
>> That Thinkpad doesn't have a touchpad keeps me away from it..
>
> All Thinkpad keyboards have both trackpoints and touchpads (except that
> one on the X series).
> I do agree that the two-finger motion on the Thinkpad touchpad doesn't
> work as nicely as on the Macbook Pro because the touchpad is a good
> bit smaller.
>
>>> PS: I'm personally not sure that Apple is any less evil than Microsoft.
>
>> At least Apple is more friendly to free software(or open source
>> software) community.
>
> That's the thing of which I'm not sure.  Maybe it is.  But I fear that
> it's simply much more clever, and instead of fighting the community it
> pretends to play along with it.  But if you look at the way it tries to
> lock its users, it smells like bad old proprietary all the way.

I agree, it's one of the reasons of my choice between a Dell laptop
with unbuntu and a Macbook.
--
A + Thierry
pubkey: http://pgp.mit.edu/

* Re: mac os et emacs
@ 2007-11-18 11:13                 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-11-18 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 18, 2007 5:57 AM, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> unless you always use your laptop with a mouse on the side.
> I don't, and I don't know anybody who does.

I always use a mouse with my laptop. Not a Mac, though; it's a HP, and
the touchpad is really nice, but I still prefer a mouse (or, in fact,
I'd love to use a thumb-operated trackball, but the beasts are too big
to carry around with the laptop).

             Juanma

* Re: mac os et emacs
@ 2007-11-18 16:29                 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-11-18 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.11.2007 um 05:57 schrieb Stefan Monnier:

>>> Count the number of buttons on the pointing device as well.
>>> Especially if you like to use Emacs which makes good use of all
>>> 3 buttons.
>
>> It's perfectly okay to use other producers' mice on Apple's machines.
>
> I believe we're talking laptops here, so the number of buttons is
> relevant, unless you always use your laptop with a mouse on the side.
> I don't, and I don't know anybody who does.

It's possible in both, Aqua and X11, to emulate a three button mouse:

	Alt/Option-click is mouse-2,
	Meta/Command-click is mouse-3,
	Alt-Meta-click is M-mouse-2 in X11 and mouse-3 in Carbon Emacs.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped.
                                          - Groucho Marx