all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs looks ugly with 2 colors in the background, how do I fix this?
@ 2013-10-12 18:00 davesharpe13
From: davesharpe13 @ 2013-10-12 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

My emacs looks ugly and weird  with 2 colors in the background. It looks like "light cyan" everywhere, except "ivory" which is under and near text lines. Not sure how that is controlled. How do I fix this ... ivory would probably ok.

* RE: emacs looks ugly with 2 colors in the background, how do I fix this?
@ 2013-10-12 20:00 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-10-12 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: davesharpe13, help-gnu-emacs

> My emacs looks ugly and weird  with 2 colors in the background. It
> looks like "light cyan" everywhere, except "ivory" which is under
> and near text lines. Not sure how that is controlled. How do I fix
> this ... ivory would probably ok.

As that is not the default appearance of Emacs, it is no doubt
due to something in your init file (~/.emacs).

1. Start Emacs without your init file, to confirm this: emacs -Q.

2. Bisect your init file recursively to find the culprit code.
   Comment out half the file, then 1/4, then 1/8,...  You can
   use `M-x comment-region' to comment out selected code, and
   use `C-u M-x comment-region' to uncomment the selected code.
   (Or bind `comment-region' to a key - I use `M-;'.)

A guess would be that either (a) you have customized Emacs or
(b) you have chosen a "theme".  Whatever it is, it is likely
your init file that holds the answer.

* Re: emacs looks ugly with 2 colors in the background, how do I fix this?
@ 2013-10-13  8:27 ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2013-10-13  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

davesharpe13@gmail.com writes:

> My emacs looks ugly and weird with 2 colors in the background.
> It
> looks like "light cyan" everywhere, except "ivory" which is
> under and
> near text lines. Not sure how that is controlled. How do I fix
> this
> ... ivory would probably ok.

Some windowing environment may be attempting to overlay it's idea
of
your desktop "theme" on to Emacs.

From the Emacs Wiki:

    I am using KDE. I found my emacs was colored in a strange way
    no
    matter how I changed the background and foreground settings in
    my
    .Xdefaults. I tried all methods I could think of, including
    deleting
    my .emacs, changing the font, recustomizing my KDE environment
    through the KDE control center. But without luck.

    For KDE 2.1.2, I found the option called ‘Apply fonts and
    colors to
    non-KDE apps’ in ‘/Look and Feel/Style’ in the control center.
    Disable it. Then logout and log in. Everything becomes fine.

    from http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ColorsAndKde