all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How can I change gnus window configuration for some groups?
@ 2014-08-23 13:55 Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-08-23 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I would like to display one particular group with a smaller summary
buffer. Searching in the documentation, I found that I want to play with
`gnus-buffer-configuration'. I see that in the default setup, it already
has a conditional layout:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
 (article
  (cond
   (gnus-use-trees
    '(vertical 1.0
	       (summary 0.25 point)
	       (tree 0.25)
	       (article 1.0)))
   (t
    '(vertical 1.0
	       (summary 0.25 point)
	       (article 1.0)))))
#+end_src

Is there a way to adapt this such that I use the layout

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
 (vertical 1.0
           (summary 3 point)
           (article 1.0))
#+end_src

when viewing the "nnvirtual:RSS" group? Should this be a global setting
or a group parameter?

Thanks,

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How can I change gnus window configuration for some groups?
       [not found] <mailman.7430.1408802163.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-08-23 21:53 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-08-23 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> I would like to display one particular group with a
> smaller summary buffer. Searching in the
> documentation, I found that I want to play with
> gnus-buffer-configuration'. I see that in the default
> setup, it already has a conditional layout ...

You can add another condition there, of course. That I
think would be the simplest solution - some purists
will not like it, but they are not the ones who are
doing this, and later using it - you are.

> Is there a way to adapt this such that I use the
> layout ... when viewing the "nnvirtual:RSS" group?
> Should this be a global setting or a group parameter?

If you can make in into a group parameter specifically
associated to that group, that would be the most
elegant solution. But I don't know how to do that.

Gut feeling, I would do either of:

1. If you want "RET transparency". In the group buffer,
   you select a group by hitting RET. I would rebind
   that to a defun that runs this:

   (string-equal "nnvirtual:RSS" (gnus-group-group-name) )

   If `t', do special treatment. If `nil', do the
   ordinary thing. You might want to use
   current-prefix-arg to replicate ordinary usage of
   the C-u (to quantify articles).

2. If you don't care for "RET transparency": Simply
   assign a key for the RSS group. That key will open
   the group, then change the configuration; or, if
   that flickers, change configuration, open the RSS
   group, then change the configuration back to normal.

--
underground experts united

* Re: How can I change gnus window configuration for some groups?
@ 2014-08-24  8:34   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-08-24  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2014-08-23 23:53, Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> writes:

> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
>> Is there a way to adapt this such that I use the
>> layout ... when viewing the "nnvirtual:RSS" group?
>> Should this be a global setting or a group parameter?
>
> If you can make in into a group parameter specifically
> associated to that group, that would be the most
> elegant solution. But I don't know how to do that.
>
> Gut feeling, I would do either of:
>
> 1. If you want "RET transparency". In the group buffer,
>    you select a group by hitting RET. I would rebind
>    that to a defun that runs this:
>
>    (string-equal "nnvirtual:RSS" (gnus-group-group-name) )
>
>    If `t', do special treatment. If `nil', do the
>    ordinary thing. You might want to use
>    current-prefix-arg to replicate ordinary usage of
>    the C-u (to quantify articles).

Thanks for the suggestion, it's a nice way to do it.

As a less invasive option, I could test for the group name in the window
configuration definition. However it seems that `gnus-group-group-name'
does not work in the summary window (is returns `nil'). Is there
a similar function that returns the name of the current group in
a summary buffer?

Thanks again,

Alan

--

@ 2014-08-24  9:47     ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-08-24  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2014-08-24 10:34, Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> As a less invasive option, I could test for the group name in the window
> configuration definition. However it seems that `gnus-group-group-name'
> does not work in the summary window (is returns `nil'). Is there
> a similar function that returns the name of the current group in
> a summary buffer?

As I could not find such a function, this is what I ended up
doing. Testing the buffer name is ugly, but it gets the job done.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (defun as/small-summary-p ()
    (equal (buffer-name) "*Summary nnvirtual:RSS*"))

  (gnus-add-configuration
   '(article
     (cond
      ((as/small-summary-p) '(vertical 1.0
                                       (summary 4 point)
                                       (article 1.0)))
      (t '(vertical 1.0
                    (summary 0.25 point)
                    (article 1.0))))))
#+end_src

Alan

--

@ 2014-08-24 15:25     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-08-24 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> On 2014-08-23 23:53, Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> writes:
>
>> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>>
>>> Is there a way to adapt this such that I use the
>>> layout ... when viewing the "nnvirtual:RSS" group?
>>> Should this be a global setting or a group parameter?
>>
>> If you can make in into a group parameter specifically
>> associated to that group, that would be the most
>> elegant solution. But I don't know how to do that.
>>
>> Gut feeling, I would do either of:
>>
>> 1. If you want "RET transparency". In the group buffer,
>>    you select a group by hitting RET. I would rebind
>>    that to a defun that runs this:
>>
>>    (string-equal "nnvirtual:RSS" (gnus-group-group-name) )
>>
>>    If `t', do special treatment. If `nil', do the
>>    ordinary thing. You might want to use
>>    current-prefix-arg to replicate ordinary usage of
>>    the C-u (to quantify articles).
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, it's a nice way to do it.
>
> As a less invasive option, I could test for the group name in the window
> configuration definition. However it seems that `gnus-group-group-name'
> does not work in the summary window (is returns `nil'). Is there
> a similar function that returns the name of the current group in
> a summary buffer?

I think the gnus-newsgroup-name variable holds the value you want. Does
that work?

* Re: How can I change gnus window configuration for some groups?
@ 2014-08-24 19:08       ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-08-24 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2014-08-24 23:25, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

>> As a less invasive option, I could test for the group name in the window
>> configuration definition. However it seems that `gnus-group-group-name'
>> does not work in the summary window (is returns `nil'). Is there
>> a similar function that returns the name of the current group in
>> a summary buffer?
>
> I think the gnus-newsgroup-name variable holds the value you want. Does
> that work?

Yes, thanks a lot!

Alan

--