all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#1397: RFC: A "markup mode"
       [not found] <gkk5ay8509.fsf@fencepost.gnu.org>
@ 2016-02-29  4:26 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-29  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: tomas; +Cc: 1397

tomas@tuxteam.de writes:

> Please find the current incarnation here:
>
>   git http://tuxteam.de/~tomas/Repositories/am
>
> Some remarks:
>
> Design:
>
> The idea is to support (nested) mark-ups like XML or Wiki, rendering
> them in a more-or-less WYSIWYG fashion (as far as Emacs supports that).
> The mapping between the markup elements and rendering whithin Emacs is
> done via a "style" file (which is at the moment just an elisp file
> containing faces and assorted fix-ups for special cases. Several
> examples of style files are contained in the above code sample.
>
> The markup model is more or less what we know from XML: spans of text
> are attached with a "markup class" and a (possibly empty) list of
> attributes. Those spans may be empty (the "singletons" in XML).

I think there's several of these markup modes in Emacs (and in the
various package repos), so I don't think this is that relevant any more
(seven years later).  Closing.

* bug#1397: RFC: A "markup mode"
@ 2016-02-29  7:18   ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2016-02-29  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: 1397, tomas

>> The markup model is more or less what we know from XML: spans of text
>> are attached with a "markup class" and a (possibly empty) list of
>> attributes. Those spans may be empty (the "singletons" in XML).

> I think there's several of these markup modes in Emacs (and in the various
> package repos), so I don't think this is that relevant any more (seven years
> later). Closing.

Isn't this very similar to what enriched-mode tried to be?

* bug#1397: RFC: A "markup mode"
@ 2016-02-29  8:55   ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2016-02-29  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: 1397

* bug#1397: RFC: A "markup mode"
@ 2016-02-29  9:05     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2016-02-29  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, tomas, 1397

* bug#1397: RFC: A "markup mode"
@ 2016-02-29 13:26         ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2016-02-29 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: larsi, tomas, 1397, johnw

* bug#1397: RFC: A "markup mode"
@ 2016-02-29 13:34       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2016-02-29 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: tomas; +Cc: larsi, johnw, tomas, 1397

Enriched-mode was meant to be a way to store files with
markup, that Emacs would display with markup.  The idea
was to make Emacs serve as a word processor.

Ultimately, we should not need LibreOffice -- we should be able
to do that with Emacs.

--
Dr Richard Stallman