all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Fonts For 21.1.30 On Mac OSX?
@ 2002-09-03 20:30 Edward Dodge
From: Edward Dodge @ 2002-09-03 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

From what I can see with "M-x list-fontsets,"  I only have one font...

OUTPUT:
___________
Fontset: -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-default
Fontset: -etl-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-mac

I found some fonts at:

http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-emacs/Resources/GNU-Fonts.smi.bin

But there are no instructions on how to install them or change to them.  Anyone know?

--------
Edward

* Re: Fonts For 21.1.30 On Mac OSX?
@ 2002-09-04  0:06 ` Andrew Choi
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1031713874.29570.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andrew Choi @ 2002-09-04  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Edward Dodge <dkdodge@cox-internet.com> writes:

> From what I can see with "M-x list-fontsets,"  I only have one font...
>
> OUTPUT:
> ___________
> Fontset: -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-default
> Fontset: -etl-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-mac
>
> I found some fonts at:
>
> http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-emacs/Resources/GNU-Fonts.smi.bin
>
> But there are no instructions on how to install them or change to
> them.  Anyone know?

You can find out how to install fonts on Mac OS X by searching for
`installing fonts' in the Help Center.

Font sets are not the same as fonts.  Information about font sets can
be found in the Emacs manual.  To list all the /fonts/ you can use,
evaluate the expression

  (x-list-fonts "*").

To evaluate an expression, one way is to type it into the *scratch*
buffer and then type C-j.  If you can't see all of the fonts, first
evaluate the expression

  (setq eval-expression-print-length 100).

Another way to see all your fonts is to type `M-x set-frame-font RET'
and type TAB when prompted for a `Font name: '.  Of course choosing a
font here will set the font for the current frame.

To make this font setting `permanent', read about default-frame-alist
and initial-frame-alist in the Emacs on-line manual.

Also, if it is possible, please use the version of Emacs in the CVS
repository instead of the older version in the subject line.

* Unicode Fonts For Emacs21 On Mac OSX?
@ 2002-09-10 22:18   ` Jacobo Myerston
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1031713874.29570.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jacobo Myerston @ 2002-09-10 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

?I wonder if there is a way to display unicode character in emacs21 on
Mac OSX. Actually it is possible in the XFree86 enviroment with the help
of Mule and the ucsfonts. But so far as I now the ucsfonts are not yet
ported for OSX.
It is possible to use unicode apple fonts like times with emacs21. But I
don't know if the mac-roman encoding can conflict with the unicode encoding.

So this is big issue now, because I was working with ancient greek texts
in emacs-20.7 until I updated to 21.

I would appraciated any help

regards

Jacobo

* Re: Unicode Fonts For Emacs21 On Mac OSX?
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1031713874.29570.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-09-11 21:39     ` Rodney Sparapani
From: Rodney Sparapani @ 2002-09-11 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jacobo:

I don't use unicode, but there are international fonts @
http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-emacs/Resources/GNU-Fonts.smi.bin

--
Rodney Sparapani              Medical College of Wisconsin
Sr. Biostatistician           Patient Care & Outcomes Research

* Re: Unicode Fonts For Emacs21 On Mac OSX?
@ 2002-09-12 12:47       ` Jacobo Myerston
From: Jacobo Myerston @ 2002-09-12 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rodney Sparapani wrote:
> Jacobo:
>
> I don't use unicode, but there are international fonts @
> http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-emacs/Resources/GNU-Fonts.smi.bin

I already installed the GNU-Fonts; they support modern greek, but not
ancient greek.

@ 2002-09-12 14:31     ` Oliver Scholz
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1031857755.5280.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2002-09-12 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Warning: I don't know anything about MacOS X. Wild guesses below.]

Jacobo Myerston <jacunix@cantv.net> writes:

> ?I wonder if there is a way to display unicode character in emacs21 on
> Mac OSX. Actually it is possible in the XFree86 enviroment with the
> help of Mule and the ucsfonts. But so far as I now the ucsfonts are
> not yet ported for OSX.
> It is possible to use unicode apple fonts like times with emacs21. But
> I don't know if the mac-roman encoding can conflict with the unicode
> encoding.
>
> So this is big issue now, because I was working with ancient greek
> texts in emacs-20.7 until I updated to 21.
[...]

I don't know if the GNU intlfonts package works on MacOS X. At least
those fonts contain the necessary greek characters with combined
diacritics. I use misc-fixed for classical Greek on GNU/Linux.

But I wonder: why should it be a problem to use the true type fonts?
At least on GNU/Linux under XFree there is no problem with this
AFAICS. Have you tried it?

BTW: There is a Unicode Times font containing Greek characters with
combined diacritics? I ask, because I find misc-fixed somewhat
ugly. Is there a Unicode Courier font, too?

    -- Oliver

--
26 Fructidor an 210 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

* Re: Unicode Fonts For Emacs21 On Mac OSX?
@ 2002-09-12 19:08       ` Jacobo Myerston
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1031857755.5280.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jacobo Myerston @ 2002-09-12 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-09-13 12:05         ` Oliver Scholz