all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* tramp-2.1.15/cscope-15.7 and emacs 22 vs emacs 23
@ 2009-02-18 15:38 Michal
       [not found] ` <mailman.1110.1234993371.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michal @ 2009-02-18 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hallo group members

=== problem description:

cscope seems not working with emacs 23/tramp-2.1.15.
when I do:
M-x cscope-index-files on some remote machine directory:
/scp:root@remote.machine.org:/cvs/src-10-01-patches

it does not build cscope database (this is what cscope-index-files is intended to do).

when I do the same thing with emacs 22, everything is ok, database is done.

=== some investigation:
on my local machine I changed /usr/local/bin/cscope binary to:
#!/bin/bash
date
echo "cscope at localhost"

I did not touch cscope binary on remote machine.

then I run M-x cscope-index-files again on /scp:root@remote.machine.org:/cvs/src-10-01-patches.

emacs 23 result:

Creating cscope index `cscope.out' in:
	/scp:root@remote.machine.org:/cvs/src-10-01-patches/

Creating list of files to index ...
Creating list of files to index ... done
Indexing files ...
Wed Feb 18 16:28:13 CET 2009
cscope at localhost
Indexing files ... done

Indexing finished

Of course no indexing is done, this is just a standard template of cscope.

emacs 22 result:
Creating cscope index `cscope.out' in:
	/scp:root@remote.machine.org:/cvs/src-10-01-patches/

Creating list of files to index ...
Creating list of files to index ... done
Indexing files ...
Indexing files ... done
exit

Indexing finished

=== my conclusion:
emacs 23 invokes cscope from local machine, while emacs 22 invokes cscope binary from remote machine, thus works correctly.

Do You experience similar behaviour? How to overcome it?

best regards,
Michal

* Re: tramp-2.1.15/cscope-15.7 and emacs 22 vs emacs 23
@ 2009-02-18 21:42 ` Michael Albinus
       [not found] ` <mailman.1110.1234993371.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Albinus @ 2009-02-18 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Michal; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Michal <rabbit50@tenbit.pl> writes:

> Hallo group members

Hi,

> cscope seems not working with emacs 23/tramp-2.1.15.
> when I do:
> M-x cscope-index-files on some remote machine directory:
> /scp:root@remote.machine.org:/cvs/src-10-01-patches
>
> it does not build cscope database (this is what cscope-index-files is intended to do).
>
> when I do the same thing with emacs 22, everything is ok, database is
> done.

With Emacs 23, csope-index-files shall use the new functions
start-file-process or process-file, respectively. Thea replace
start-process and call-process for accessing remote hosts.

With Emacs 22, Tramp 2.1 uses a dirty hack, which is not enabled for
Emacs 23.

If you could point me to the source file csope-index-files is defined
in, I could give you more advice.

> best regards,
> Michal

Best regards, Michael.

@ 2009-02-19  9:41   ` Michal
From: Michal @ 2009-02-19  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> With Emacs 23, csope-index-files shall use the new functions
> start-file-process or process-file, respectively. Thea replace
> start-process and call-process for accessing remote hosts.

Hallo Michael.

Your suggestion did the job!!!

cscope 15.7 I use are in:

there is xcscope.el file which contains all emacs related stuff for cscope.

I applied Your suggestion to whole the file (other functions did the
same problem).

there were 3 changes in total.

Thank You for Your help and best regards!
Michal