all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* convert ascii table to latex table in emacs
@ 2011-03-16 11:09 Pedro Costa
From: Pedro Costa @ 2011-03-16 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I've created a table in latex in emacs with the command M-x table-insert.

But this created a table in literal characters, like this:

+------+-----+------+
|xxxxx|xxxx|xxxxx|
+------+-----+------+

Now, I would like to convert this ascii table to a latex table. Is it possible?

Thanks

--
Pedro

* Re: convert ascii table to latex table in emacs
       [not found] <mailman.1.1300273761.3866.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-03-16 16:02 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-03-16 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pedro Costa <psdc1978@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've created a table in latex in emacs with the command M-x table-insert.
>
> But this created a table in literal characters, like this:
>
> +------+-----+------+
> |xxxxx|xxxx|xxxxx|
> +------+-----+------+
>
> Now, I would like to convert this ascii table to a latex table. Is it
> possible?
>
> Thanks

you can copy this to another file/buffer, switch to org-mode [1]and then
export it to latex, all within emacs.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://orgmode.org/

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1 + No Gnus v0.14

* Re: convert ascii table to latex table in emacs
@ 2011-03-16 16:04 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-03-16 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Costa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Pedro,

Pedro Costa <psdc1978@gmail.com> writes:

> I've created a table in latex in emacs with the command M-x table-insert.
>
> But this created a table in literal characters, like this:
>
> +------+-----+------+
> |xxxxx|xxxx|xxxxx|
> +------+-----+------+

Because table-insert is part of table.el (which see.)

> Now, I would like to convert this ascii table to a latex table. Is it
> possible?

Have a look at Org, which is also part of GNU Emacs.  Check the manual
for Org tables here:

  C-h i m Org TAB RET m Tables RET

or on the web:

  http://orgmode.org/manual/Tables.html

You can easily create ascii tables then convert them to LaTeX.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

@ 2011-03-17 16:48 ` harven
From: harven @ 2011-03-17 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pedro Costa <psdc1978@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've created a table in latex in emacs with the command M-x table-insert.
>
> But this created a table in literal characters, like this:
>
> +------+-----+------+
> |xxxxx|xxxx|xxxxx|
>
> Now, I would like to convert this ascii table to a latex table. Is it possible?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Pedro

M-x table-generate-source RET latex RET

(use first M-x table-recognize if the table is not in an activated state)
You can also generate html or cals. More info on the wiki
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/TableMode