all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can we add two args to copy-sequence?
@ 2017-12-15  3:32 jun
From: jun @ 2017-12-15  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

like this: (copy-sequence seq &optional from to).  'from' and 'to' mean the same as in the function 'substring'.

* Re: Can we add two args to copy-sequence?
@ 2017-12-15  7:54 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2017-12-15  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jun; +Cc: emacs-devel

j> like this: (copy-sequence seq &optional from to). 'from' and 'to' mean the
j> same as in the function 'substring'.

I'd rather not overload copy-sequence that way, and rather have a new function
named (sublist LIST &optional FROM TO), even if copy-sequence xs == sublist xs.

* Re: Can we add two args to copy-sequence?
@ 2017-12-15  8:24   ` Elias Mårtenson
From: Elias Mårtenson @ 2017-12-15  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jun, emacs-devel

On 15 December 2017 at 15:54, John Wiegley <johnw@gnu.org> wrote:

> j> like this: (copy-sequence seq &optional from to). 'from' and 'to' mean
> the
> j> same as in the function 'substring'.
>
> I'd rather not overload copy-sequence that way, and rather have a new
> function
> named (sublist LIST &optional FROM TO), even if copy-sequence xs ==
> sublist xs.

There is already the function ‘subseq’ that does exactly this, or did I
misunderstand
the question?

* Re:Re: Can we add two args to copy-sequence?
@ 2017-12-15 14:52     ` jun
From: jun @ 2017-12-15 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elias Mårtenson; +Cc: emacs-devel

Yes, I just know subseq. And there are also seq-subseq, seq-take, seq-drop, butlast, Two many and hard to remmber.
Almost all of them are implemented in lisp except copy-sequence which is in C. Some of them are implemented
by copying the whole sequence and then modify the copy. If we add the two args to copy-sequence,
then  these functions can be based on it with only one or two lines in lisp, and reduce some data copy.
Does the two args make copy-sequence too much complex internally?

在 2017-12-15 16:24:50,"Elias Mårtenson" <lokedhs@gmail.com> 写道:

@ 2017-12-16  6:18       ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2017-12-16  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jun; +Cc: Elias Mårtenson, emacs-devel