all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Insert edebug breakpoint into code
@ 2018-07-22 16:25 Joe Riel
From: Joe Riel @ 2018-07-22 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help GNU Emacs

Is it possible to insert lisp code that
forces an edebug breakpoint at a particular place?

I don't want to have to interactively insert the breakpoint
from inside the debugger, but rather make it part of the
code when it is evaluated.

--
Joe Riel

* RE: Insert edebug breakpoint into code
@ 2018-07-22 16:36 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2018-07-22 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Riel, Help GNU Emacs

> Is it possible to insert lisp code that
> forces an edebug breakpoint at a particular place?
>
> I don't want to have to interactively insert the breakpoint
> from inside the debugger, but rather make it part of the
> code when it is evaluated.

Dunno about Edebug - I never use it.

But for the regular Emacs debugger, just insert a call
to function `debug' wherever you want to enter the
debugger.  `C-h f debug' tells you:
____

 (debug &rest ARGS)

 Enter debugger.  'c' returns from the debugger.
 Arguments are mainly for use when this is called from the internals
 of the evaluator.

 You may call with no args, or you may pass nil as the first arg and
 any other args you like.  In that case, the list of args after the
 first will be printed into the backtrace buffer.
____

But see the Elisp manual for more info. The most used
key is `d', not `c'.  Dunno why the doc string doesn't
mention `d'.

* Re: Insert edebug breakpoint into code
@ 2018-07-22 16:46 ` Xu Chunyang
From: Xu Chunyang @ 2018-07-22 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Riel; +Cc: Help GNU Emacs

Joe Riel writes:

> Is it possible to insert lisp code that
> forces an edebug breakpoint at a particular place?

(info "(elisp) Source Breakpoints")