all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Andrew Choi <akochoi@shaw.ca>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: building macosx
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 08:52:40 -0600	[thread overview]

> building emacs on macos 10.1 gives the following error:
>
> rm -f /Users/immanuel/workspace/UnixSource/Emacs/emacs-cvs/emacs/lisp/*.elc /Users/immanuel/workspace/UnixSource/Emacs/emacs-cvs/emacs/lisp/*/*.elc
> /bin/sh: /usr/local/bin/rm: Argument list too long
> make[1]: [bootstrap-clean] Error 126 (ignored)
>
> somewhat later the build complains about not knowing the function
> define-mail-user-agent and the build stops. Emacs warns about loading
> .elc files with newer .el sources but it happily loads the old ones.

Hi Immanuel,

The problem seems to be just what the error message says: when the
filenames of all the compiled Lisp files are listed, the command line
for sh becomes too long.  Is it possible to shorten the pathnames by
moving the Emacs directory further up in the directory tree or using
shorter names?

There was also a report of a problem with bootstrapping on this list a
little earlier.  But I was able to build without problem the version
around 10:00 (GMT-6:00) on September 15.

Andrew.