all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* W3 on Mac OS X
@ 2002-12-10 21:59 Colin Fallon
From: Colin Fallon @ 2002-12-10 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to get W3 working with emacs on Mac OS X. I have compiled
and installed the latest CVS versions of emacs, url and w3. However,
when I start W3 I get the following error in Backtrace.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil)
  font-size(nil)
  font-default-size-for-device(nil)
  font-spatial-to-canonical("+12pt")
  css-expand-length("+12pt" t)
  css-expand-value(height "+12pt")
  css-parse-args(238 257)
  css-parse("file:/usr/local/share/default.css" nil nil)
  w3-find-default-stylesheets()
  w3-refresh-stylesheets()
  w3-do-setup()
  w3()
* call-interactively(w3)

I have tried rooting around in the code but can't seem to get to the
bottom of it - maybe something to do with the font specification on
Mac OS X?? Has anyone else got W3 working on Mac OS X and can you help
me with this error?

One thing to note - I am running on Mac OS X 10.1.5 as I can't afford
to upgrade to 10.2 yet.

Thanks,
  Colin

* Re: W3 on Mac OS X
@ 2002-12-17 21:43 ` Colin Fallon
From: Colin Fallon @ 2002-12-17 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, I managed to track down the issue. W3 does not seem to cater for
the Mac and I have at least partly fixed this by adding the following
line to font-window-system-mappings in font.el

(mac      . (x-font-create-name x-font-create-object))

W£ now launches and seems to work.

* Re: W3 on Mac OS X
@ 2002-12-20  2:24   ` Edward Dodge
From: Edward Dodge @ 2002-12-20  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin Fallon <colinf@mac.com> writes:

> OK, I managed to track down the issue. W3 does not seem to cater for
> the Mac and I have at least partly fixed this by adding the
> following line to font-window-system-mappings in font.el
>
> (mac      . (x-font-create-name x-font-create-object))
>
> W3 now launches and seems to work.

Could you give a quick step-by-step reference for those of us who have
had far less success than you in making w3 work?

Something along the lines of Andrew Choi's how-to for downloading and
compiling EMACS from CVS:

        http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-emacs/

--
Edward Dodge

------------

/GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin5.5) of 2002-10-11 on G3/

* Re: W3 on Mac OS X
@ 2002-12-20 22:34     ` Colin Fallon
From: Colin Fallon @ 2002-12-20 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Edward Dodge <someone@g3.com> writes:

> Colin Fallon <colinf@mac.com> writes:
>
> > OK, I managed to track down the issue. W3 does not seem to cater for
> > the Mac and I have at least partly fixed this by adding the
> > following line to font-window-system-mappings in font.el
> >
> > (mac      . (x-font-create-name x-font-create-object))
> >
> > W3 now launches and seems to work.
>
> Could you give a quick step-by-step reference for those of us who have
> had far less success than you in making w3 work?
>
> Something along the lines of Andrew Choi's how-to for downloading and
> compiling EMACS from CVS:
>
>         http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-emacs/
>
> --
> Edward Dodge

> /GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin5.5) of 2002-10-11 on G3/

Hi Edward,

I will give it a go and write up what I have done to date. Hopefully,
I can find the time this weekend.

Colin