all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs for Max OS X.3
@ 2003-12-07 21:10 Chris Swoyer
From: Chris Swoyer @ 2003-12-07 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have installed the recent build of Emacs 21.3.50.1 from
www.mindlube.com to run on my powerbook under panther. But it
freezes when I try to run tex from its deopdown menu and some of
the options (I think) I should have (e.g., dvips) don't show up on
the menu). I renamed the file dot-emacs.el .emacs, but I've done
somethhing wrong. On startup I get the message:

  An error has occurred while loading `/Users/fswoyer/.emacs':

  Symbol's value as variable is void: darwinp

And I don't get the auctex and reftex functionality.

Thanks for any help (including letting me know of a more
appropriate news group if there is one).

Chris

* Re: emacs for Max OS X.3
@ 2003-12-07 22:03 ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-12-07 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Chris Swoyer" <fswoyer@cox.net> writes:

> I have installed the recent build of Emacs 21.3.50.1 from
> www.mindlube.com to run on my powerbook under panther. But it
> freezes when I try to run tex from its deopdown menu and some of the
> options (I think) I should have (e.g., dvips) don't show up on the
> menu). I renamed the file dot-emacs.el .emacs, but I've done
> somethhing wrong. On startup I get the message:
>
>   An error has occurred while loading `/Users/fswoyer/.emacs':
>
>   Symbol's value as variable is void: darwinp
>
> And I don't get the auctex and reftex functionality.

I can't answer all your questions, but I don't think you should have
renamed the .emacs.el file as .emacs.  Someone else here will know for
sure.  Your .emacs file needs to be in your home directory, and at
least in my installation of Emacs there is no .emacs.el file in my
home directory- so if you just renamed it and left it where it was,
Emacs can't find it.

Have you checked to make sure that TeX is properly installed on your
computer?  I'm using 10.1.5 (which may not come with exactly the same
stuff in the BSD subsystem) and dvips is conspicuous in its absence,
although dvipdf is present.  I installed GhostScript many moons ago
and ISTR that this was installed as part of that .pkg (along with
texi2dvi, texindex, pfd2ps, ps2pdf, etc.).

> Thanks for any help (including letting me know of a more
> appropriate news group if there is one).

Dis be da place.

* Re: emacs for Max OS X.3
@ 2003-12-08  2:54   ` Chris Swoyer
From: Chris Swoyer @ 2003-12-08  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the info (the directions that came with enhanced carbon emacs
said to
rename the file dot-emacs.el -> .emacs.

TeX works o.k, (e.g., under TeXShop) so I think I must have fouled something
up on the emacs end.

CS

"Tim McNamara" <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote in message
> "Chris Swoyer" <fswoyer@cox.net> writes:
>
> > I have installed the recent build of Emacs 21.3.50.1 from
> > www.mindlube.com to run on my powerbook under panther. But it
> > freezes when I try to run tex from its deopdown menu and some of the
> > options (I think) I should have (e.g., dvips) don't show up on the
> > menu). I renamed the file dot-emacs.el .emacs, but I've done
> > somethhing wrong. On startup I get the message:
> >
> >   An error has occurred while loading `/Users/fswoyer/.emacs':
> >
> >   Symbol's value as variable is void: darwinp
> >
> > And I don't get the auctex and reftex functionality.
>
> I can't answer all your questions, but I don't think you should have
> renamed the .emacs.el file as .emacs.  Someone else here will know for
> sure.  Your .emacs file needs to be in your home directory, and at
> least in my installation of Emacs there is no .emacs.el file in my
> home directory- so if you just renamed it and left it where it was,
> Emacs can't find it.
>
> Have you checked to make sure that TeX is properly installed on your
> computer?  I'm using 10.1.5 (which may not come with exactly the same
> stuff in the BSD subsystem) and dvips is conspicuous in its absence,
> although dvipdf is present.  I installed GhostScript many moons ago
> and ISTR that this was installed as part of that .pkg (along with
> texi2dvi, texindex, pfd2ps, ps2pdf, etc.).
>
> > Thanks for any help (including letting me know of a more
> > appropriate news group if there is one).
>
> Dis be da place.

* Re: emacs for Max OS X.3
@ 2003-12-08  3:51     ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-12-08  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Chris Swoyer" <fswoyer@cox.net> writes:

> Thanks for the info (the directions that came with enhanced carbon
> emacs said to rename the file dot-emacs.el -> .emacs.

Huh.  I can't find a .emacs.el (nor a "dot-emacs.el" if you were
being literal) in my build of Carbon Emacs.  But then I built that
myself from CVS, sa perhaps this was something done by the person at
www.mindlube.com?  Anyway, you need a .emacs file in your home
directory for Emacs to find.

I think if I was you, I'd rename that file back to its original name,
see if it launches and then create a .emacs file in your home
directory.

Hope this helps!

* Re: emacs for Max OS X.3
@ 2003-12-08 16:50       ` Chris Swoyer
From: Chris Swoyer @ 2003-12-08 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Here's the info (the file contains information so
emacs can run a lot of tex stuff quickly and
easily (for me)).:

from the documentation:

- In order to personalise the LaTeX command menu and the applications
  to be used with LaTeX (e.g., the dvi, postscript, and pdf viewers),
  the printers and the default paper format, copy the "dot-emacs.el"
  file, found in the "emacs-docs" folder, into your ".emacs" file
  located in your home folder. If you don't already have a ".emacs"
  file in your home folder, then just copy the "dot-emacs.el" file as
  the ".emacs" file in your home folder.

Thanks,