all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GUD buffer disappearing
@ 2007-06-14  9:12 Juanjo Garcia
From: Juanjo Garcia @ 2007-06-14  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I need some help with using Emacs for debugging C++ programs. So far
it has been great and it has worked on all platforms I have used.
Recently I updated to Aquamacs 1.0 which I believe is related to Emacs
22.* and this is where problems have began.

Namely, I open a program for debugging. The window splits and I see
the main source file, but when I jump to a breakpoint and _another_
source file must be opened, the *gdb* buffer is replaced with the
source file. That is very inconvenient, because I have to look for the
*gdb* buffer to continue debugging.

I have tried playing with different flags without success. Google does
not help, either.

Juanjo

* Re: GUD buffer disappearing
@ 2007-06-14 10:00 ` David Reitter
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2139.1181820427.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Reitter @ 2007-06-14 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 14, 10:12 am, Juanjo Garcia
<juanjose.garciarip...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Namely, I open a program for debugging. The window splits and I see
> the main source file, but when I jump to a breakpoint and _another_
> source file must be opened, the *gdb* buffer is replaced with the
> source file. That is very inconvenient, because I have to look for the
> *gdb* buffer to continue debugging.

Have you tried to switch off `one-buffer-one-frame-mode'?

* Re: GUD buffer disappearing
@ 2007-06-14 11:26   ` Nick Roberts
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2139.1181820427.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nick Roberts @ 2007-06-14 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

David Reitter writes:
 > On Jun 14, 10:12 am, Juanjo Garcia
 > <juanjose.garciarip...@googlemail.com> wrote:
 >
 > > Namely, I open a program for debugging. The window splits and I see
 > > the main source file, but when I jump to a breakpoint and _another_
 > > source file must be opened, the *gdb* buffer is replaced with the
 > > source file. That is very inconvenient, because I have to look for the
 > > *gdb* buffer to continue debugging.
 >
 > Have you tried to switch off `one-buffer-one-frame-mode'?

This looks like an Aquamacs bug report and it's not clear to me: what does open
a program for debugging mean?  By default the main source file won't appear
unless execution stops there.

Anyway, assuming it is for Aquamacs, I can only make general observations
unless it can be reproduced on Emacs:

* Apple have their own version of Gdb, you need FSF Gdb (in Darwin, from Fink?)
  for this mode to fully work.

* Sometimes you might indeed lose your window configuration but
  gdb-restore-windows (on the menu-bar) can often restore it.

* It takes more practice to control all the buffers with this mode but
  gives you more control over you program when you can.

* If you still don't like it you can get the old one by using the
  fullname option e.g by setting gud-gdb-command-name to "gdb --fullname".
  This old mode (i.e Emacs 21 style) probably works with Apple's Gdb.

* Re: GUD buffer disappearing
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2139.1181820427.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-06-15 13:14     ` Juanjo Garcia
From: Juanjo Garcia @ 2007-06-15 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 14, 1:26 pm, Nick Roberts <nick...@snap.net.nz> wrote:
> This looks like an Aquamacs bug report and it's not clear to me: what does open
> a program for debugging mean?  By default the main source file won't appear
> unless execution stops there.

I meant launching the debugger using M-x gdb and then the name of the
program. The source files were automaticall y opened by Aquamacs. The
problem is that after the first file, GDB's frame got reused for
showing one of these source files

I have solved this by removing all my settings and my .emacs file. Now
gdb works as expected and I can also use the multiple windows setup. I
still have not identified what flags caused this behavior, but none of
my configuration settings were related to gdb. Perhaps some other file
(crypt++, matlab.el, etc) was interefering. When I get more info I
will post it here, if only to help other people in the near future.

Juanjo

* Re: GUD buffer disappearing
@ 2007-06-17 15:10       ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2007-06-17 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Juanjo Garcia <juanjose.garciaripoll@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps some other file (crypt++, matlab.el, etc) was
> interefering. When I get more info I will post it here, if only to
> help other people in the near future.

Did you set `display-buffer-function' by chance?

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher