all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Info nodes titles font size customization
@ 2008-10-05 10:44 Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2008-10-05 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In Info mode, node titles are hilightened by default.  Scrolling the manual, I
couldn't find out how to customize those font sizes.

Is it possible, and how?

Thanks for any help
Rodolfo

* Re: Info nodes titles font size customization
@ 2008-10-05 12:29 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-10-05 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodolfo Medina; +Cc: GNU Emacs List

Am 05.10.2008 um 12:44 schrieb Rodolfo Medina:

> Is it possible, and how?

Position the cursor on one of the characters and type C-u C-x =. In
the *Help* buffer you'll see the character's (and title's) face name
reported, which you can customise (in GNU Emacs 23.0.60 from CVS it's
a bit simpler).

--
Greetings

   Pete

Math illiteracy affects 7 out of every 5 Americans.

* Re: Info nodes titles font size customization
@ 2008-10-05 16:17   ` Rodolfo Medina
       [not found]     ` <mailman.293.1223226847.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2008-10-05 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:

> In Info mode, node titles are hilightened by default.  Scrolling the manual,
> I couldn't find out how to customize those font sizes.
>
> Is it possible, and how?

> Position the cursor on one of the characters and type C-u C-x =. In the
> *Help* buffer you'll see the character's (and title's) face name reported,
> which you can customise (in GNU Emacs 23.0.60 from CVS it's a bit simpler).

Thanks.  After customizing the font size, in my .emacs appeared the following
stuff:

(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 '(info-menu-header ((t (:inherit variable-pitch :weight bold :height 1))))
 '(info-title-1 ((t (:inherit info-title-2 :height 1))))
 '(info-title-3 ((t (:inherit info-title-4 :height 1))))
 '(info-xref ((t (:inherit link :height 1)))))

.  How can I replace the `custom-set-faces' issue by some other command to
achieve the same result?  `setq' does not work.

Thanks

@ 2008-10-05 16:42   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-10-05 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Peter Dyballa', 'Rodolfo Medina'
  Cc: 'GNU Emacs List'

> > Is it possible, and how?
>
> Position the cursor on one of the characters and type C-u C-x =. In
> the *Help* buffer you'll see the character's (and title's) face name
> reported, which you can customise

Yes, that's how to find out about nearly any face you want to customize. And
`M-x customize-face' is how to customize one. Or click the face-name link near
the end of the `C-u C-x =' display, then click the `(customize this face)' link
near the top of the *Help* display.

FYI -

The info title faces are:
info-title-1, info-title-2,
info-title-3, and info-title-4.

Or, in Emacs prior to release 22:
Info-title-1-face, Info-title-2-face,
Info-title-3-face, and Info-title-4-face.

Additional Info faces you can customize:

info-header-node  - nodes in header
info-header-xref  - cross references in header
info-menu-header  - menu titles (headers)
info-menu-star    - every 3rd menu item
 (see `info-menu-5' prior to Emacs 22)
info-node 	      - node names
info-xref         - unvisited cross-references
info-xref-visited - previously visited cross-references

----

If you use library `info+.el', there are
more Info faces that you can customize:

 info-quoted-name - quoted names (`...')
 info-string      - strings ("...")
 info-menu        - menu items
 info-file        - file heading labels

And for reference items in the Elisp manual,
you can customize these faces:

 info-elisp-user-option-ref-item  - label `User Option'
 info-elisp-variable-ref-item     - label `Variable'
 info-elisp-command-ref-item      - label `Command'
 info-elisp-function-ref-item     - label `Function'
 info-elisp-macro-ref-item        - label `Macro'
 info-elisp-special-form-ref-item - label `Special Form'
 info-elisp-syntax-class-item     - label `Syntax Class'
 info-elisp-reference-item        - other reference labels

`info+.el' is here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/info%2b.el

* Re: Info nodes titles font size customization
@ 2008-10-05 17:13     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.293.1223226847.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-10-05 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodolfo Medina; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 05.10.2008 um 18:17 schrieb Rodolfo Medina:

> How can I replace the `custom-set-faces' issue by some other
> command to
> achieve the same result?

Why do you want to do this? I am so glad that the customisation
corners exist!

--
Greetings

   Pete

 From error to error, one discovers the entire truth.
				- Sigmund Freud

* Re: Info nodes titles font size customization
@ 2008-10-05 17:41 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-10-05 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Oct 05 2008, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> In Info mode, node titles are hilightened by default.  Scrolling the manual, I
> couldn't find out how to customize those font sizes.

`M-x customize-face RET' with point at the title will prompt with the
current face name.

Or use `M-x customize-apropos RET info-title- RET'.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* RE: Info nodes titles font size customization
@ 2008-10-05 17:48         ` Drew Adams
                           ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-10-05 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Rodolfo Medina', help-gnu-emacs

> > After customizing the font size, in my .emacs appeared the following
> >
> > (custom-set-faces ...)
> >
> > How can I replace the `custom-set-faces' issue by some
> > other command to achieve the same result?  `setq' does not work.
>
> I don't like settings by custom, I prefer writing lisp code
> in ~/.emacs.  How can I do so in this case?

Uh, use `custom-set-faces' in ~/.emacs?

If you never use Customize, then Customize will never overwrite the
`(custom-set-faces ...)' that you put in your ~/.emacs.

@ 2008-10-05 18:30       ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2008-10-05 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:

> After customizing the font size, in my .emacs appeared the following
> stuff:
>

> (custom-set-faces
>   ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
>   ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>   ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>  '(info-menu-header ((t (:inherit variable-pitch :weight bold :height 1))))
>  '(info-title-1 ((t (:inherit info-title-2 :height 1))))
>  '(info-title-3 ((t (:inherit info-title-4 :height 1))))
>  '(info-xref ((t (:inherit link :height 1)))))
>

> .  How can I replace the `custom-set-faces' issue by some other command to
> achieve the same result?  `setq' does not work.

> Why do you want to do this? I am so glad that the customisation corners
> exist!

I don't like settings by custom, I prefer writing lisp code in ~/.emacs.  How
can I do so in this case?

Bye
Rodolfo

* Re: Info nodes titles font size customization
@ 2008-10-05 18:36         ` harven
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: harven @ 2008-10-05 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:

> Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> After customizing the font size, in my .emacs appeared the following
>> stuff:
>>

>> (custom-set-faces
>>   ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
>>   ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>>   ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>>  '(info-menu-header ((t (:inherit variable-pitch :weight bold :height 1))))
>>  '(info-title-1 ((t (:inherit info-title-2 :height 1))))
>>  '(info-title-3 ((t (:inherit info-title-4 :height 1))))
>>  '(info-xref ((t (:inherit link :height 1)))))

> I don't like settings by custom, I prefer writing lisp code in ~/.emacs.  How
> can I do so in this case?

You can try

(add-hook 'info-mode-hook (lambda ()
   (set-face-attribute 'info-menu-header nil
                      :inherit variable-pitch
                       :weight bold
                       :height 1)))

Hope that helps

* Re: Info nodes titles font size customization
@ 2008-10-05 18:54         ` Nikolaj Schumacher
       [not found]         ` <mailman.295.1223228939.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]         ` <mailman.299.1223232881.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-10-05 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodolfo Medina; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't like settings by custom, I prefer writing lisp code in
> ~/.emacs.  How can I do so in this case?

I don't like doing that either.  Faces became an exception, because I
found little need to comment them or to configure them dynamically based
on the environment.

Here's how you can modify faces in lisp, though:

(set-face-attribute 'show-paren-match nil
                    :background "firebrick4" :foreground "black")

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: Info nodes titles font size customization
@ 2008-10-05 19:07             ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]             ` <mailman.304.1223235441.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-10-05 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodolfo Medina; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> To better explain what I mean, suppose that I want a ps-top-margin of 20pt.  If
> I do `M-x customize-group RET ps-psrint RET' and do my setting via
> customization, in my .emacs the following ugly stuff will automatically appear:
>
> (custom-set-variables
>   ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
>   ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>   ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>  '(canlock-password "1f8d809977b1fd859c60b1c2c546a18075b660a4")
>  '(ps-top-margin 5))
>

> ; instead, all I need is to write:
>
> (setq ps-top-margin 5)
>
> , which is much more tiny and simple.  I wish something similar in this case.

Please look in

  (info "(elisp) Faces")

There you can start to search the information you need to write the
function you want.

* RE: Info nodes titles font size customization
@ 2008-10-05 19:37             ` Drew Adams
       [not found]             ` <mailman.304.1223235441.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-10-05 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Rodolfo Medina', help-gnu-emacs

> > Uh, use `custom-set-faces' in ~/.emacs?
> >
> > If you never use Customize, then Customize will never
> > overwrite the `(custom-set-faces ...)' that you put in
> > your ~/.emacs.
>
> To better explain what I mean, suppose that I want a
> ps-top-margin of 20pt.  If
> I do `M-x customize-group RET ps-psrint RET' and do my setting via
> customization, in my .emacs the following ugly stuff will
> automatically appear:
>
> (custom-set-variables...)
>
> ; instead, all I need is to write:
> (setq ps-top-margin 5)
>
> , which is much more tiny and simple.  I wish something
> similar in this case.

Faces are different from variables. Nevertheless, there are other ways to change
face properties than using `custom-set-faces'. Look at `defface' and functions
such as `set-face-attribute' (`set-face-*', in general).

However, this is what I'd recommend: Set variable `custom-file' to the name of a
different file from `.emacs', e.g. `~/rodolfo-custom-file', and then use
Customize. It's much easier and cleaner than you think. This will keep all of
the ugly Customize-maintained stuff out of your `.emacs'. See the Emacs manual,
node Saving Customizations.

@ 2008-10-05 19:38           ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2008-10-05 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2008-10-05 20:01               ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2008-10-05 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Drew Adams wrote:
> However, this is what I'd recommend: Set variable `custom-file' to the
> name of a different file from `.emacs', e.g. `~/rodolfo-custom-file', and
> then use Customize. It's much easier and cleaner than you think. This
> will keep all of the ugly Customize-maintained stuff out of your
> `.emacs'. See the Emacs manual, node Saving Customizations.

in your shell:

mkdir ~/.emacs.d

in ~/.emacs:

(setq custom-file "~/.emacs.d/custom.el")
(setq load-path (cons "~/.emacs.d" load-path))

that puts all the clutter from customize in custom.el, which is neatly
tucked away in a hidden directory. the second line allows you to put your
personal add-ons in that same directory, keeping the clutter out of your
home dir.

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: Info nodes titles font size customization
@ 2008-10-05 21:08             ` harven
From: harven @ 2008-10-05 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:

> harven <harven@free.fr> writes:
>
>> You can try
>>
>> (add-hook 'info-mode-hook (lambda ()
>>    (set-face-attribute 'info-menu-header nil
>>                       :inherit variable-pitch
>>                        :weight bold
>>                        :height 1)))

> Strange: this works:
>
> ;(custom-set-faces
>   ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
>   ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>   ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>  '(info-title-1 ((t (:inherit info-title-2 :height 1)))))
>

> and this does not:
>
> (add-hook 'info-mode-hook (lambda ()
>           (set-face-attribute 'info-title-1 t
>                               :inherit info-title-2
>                               :height 1
> )))

You need

(add-hook 'info-mode-hook (lambda ()
           (set-face-attribute 'info-title-1 nil
                               :inherit info-title-2
                               :height 1)))

The meaning of the nil in set-face-attribute means "apply to all
frames" (no restriction). The meaning of the t in custom-set-attribute
means "apply to all frames" (always true). Please see the online help
of these functions for details (C-h f set-face-attribute).

@ 2008-10-05 21:49           ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2008-10-05 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2008-10-05 22:41               ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2008-10-05 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rodolfo wrote:

>> Strange: this works:
>>
>> ;(custom-set-faces
>>   ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
>>   ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>>   ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>>  '(info-title-1 ((t (:inherit info-title-2 :height 1)))))
>>

>> and this does not:
>>
>> (add-hook 'info-mode-hook (lambda ()
>>           (set-face-attribute 'info-title-1 t
>>                               :inherit info-title-2
>>                               :height 1
>> )))

harven <harven@free.fr> writes:

> You need
>
> (add-hook 'info-mode-hook (lambda ()
>            (set-face-attribute 'info-title-1 nil
>                                :inherit info-title-2
>                                :height 1)))

Unfortunately, this doesn't work either

* Re: Info nodes titles font size customization
@ 2008-10-05 22:46                 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-10-05 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodolfo Medina; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Rodolfo wrote:
>
>>> Strange: this works:
>>>
>>> ;(custom-set-faces
>>>   ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
>>>   ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>>>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>>>   ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>>>  '(info-title-1 ((t (:inherit info-title-2 :height 1)))))
>>>

>>> and this does not:
>>>
>>> (add-hook 'info-mode-hook (lambda ()
>>>           (set-face-attribute 'info-title-1 t
>>>                               :inherit info-title-2
>>>                               :height 1
>>> )))
>

> harven <harven@free.fr> writes:
>
>> You need
>>
>> (add-hook 'info-mode-hook (lambda ()
>>            (set-face-attribute 'info-title-1 nil
>>                                :inherit info-title-2
>>                                :height 1)))
>

> Unfortunately, this doesn't work either

You misspelled the hook variable.

* Re: Info nodes titles font size customization
@ 2008-10-06 17:31                 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2008-10-06 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> writes:

> Drew Adams wrote:
>> However, this is what I'd recommend: Set variable `custom-file' to the
>> name of a different file from `.emacs', e.g. `~/rodolfo-custom-file', and
>> then use Customize. It's much easier and cleaner than you think. This
>> will keep all of the ugly Customize-maintained stuff out of your
>> `.emacs'. See the Emacs manual, node Saving Customizations.
>
> in your shell:
>
> mkdir ~/.emacs.d
>
> in ~/.emacs:
>
> (setq custom-file "~/.emacs.d/custom.el")
> (setq load-path (cons "~/.emacs.d" load-path))
>
> that puts all the clutter from customize in custom.el, which is neatly
> tucked away in a hidden directory. the second line allows you to put your
> personal add-ons in that same directory, keeping the clutter out of your
> home dir.

Some people frown at putting your own stuff in .emacs.d. Personally I
put everything in there and have never had a problem. ~/.emacs is now ~/.emacs.d/init.el. I also now
have ~/.emacs.d/.gnus.d/init.el for Gnus handling. Make it a lot cleaner
to sync with other computers.

--
Once upon a time we were just plain people.  But that was before we began having relationships with mechanical systems.  Get involved with a machine and sooner or later you are reduced to a factor.  ~Ellen Goodman, "The Human Factor," The Washington Post, January 1987

* Re: Info nodes titles font size customization
@ 2008-10-07 19:09                   ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2008-10-07 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley wrote:
> Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> writes:
>> (setq load-path (cons "~/.emacs.d" load-path))
>
> Some people frown at putting your own stuff in .emacs.d. Personally I
> put everything in there and have never had a problem.

me neither. i wouldn't know why using .emacs.d for your own personal stuff
would be bad. so i'd say, let them frown. ;-)

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: [solved] Re: Info nodes titles font size customization
@ 2008-10-11 10:36   ` harven
From: harven @ 2008-10-11 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:

> In my ~/.emacs I put the following stuff:
>
> (add-hook
>  'Info-mode-hook
>  (lambda ()
>    (set-face-attribute
>     'info-title-1 nil
>     :weight 'bold
>     :height 1
>     :family "-Sony-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--16-120-100-100-C-80-ISO8859-1"
>     )))
>
> (add-hook
>  'Info-mode-hook
>  (lambda ()
>    (set-face-attribute
>     'info-title-3 nil
>     :weight 'bold
>     :height 1
>     :family "-Sony-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--16-120-100-100-C-80-ISO8859-1"
>     )))
>
> (add-hook
>  'Info-mode-hook
>  (lambda ()
>    (set-face-attribute
>     'info-menu-header nil
>     :weight 'bold
>     :height 1
>     :family "-Sony-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--16-120-100-100-C-80-ISO8859-1"
>     )))
>

> One can learn more about those variable from the Elisp manual (`C-h i' from
> Emacs buffer).
>
> Thanks to all who helped.
> Rodolfo

A bit shorter, by using the mapc function, which applies the set-face-attribute
to all faces in the list:

(add-hook  'Info-mode-hook
   (lambda () (mapc
    (lambda (x)
      (set-face-attribute x  nil
       :weight 'bold
       :height 1
       :family "-Sony-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--16-120-100-100-C-80-ISO8859-1"))
    (list 'info-title-1 'info-title-3 'info-menu-header))))

Cheers

* [solved] Re: Info nodes titles font size customization
@ 2008-10-11 11:06 ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2008-10-11 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs