On 2013-02-06 07:25 +0800, Juri Linkov wrote: > Some users of `async-shell-command' want the same feature of > not displaying the output buffer. From the old discussion > I got the impression that such customization should be possible > by customizing `display-buffer-alist' and associating > the buffer name (such as *compilation* or *Async Shell Command*) > with an inaction to skip window display. Would be nice to see how to do it using display-buffer-alist. From my understanding and as Stefan suggested, the best thing to do is not to call display buffer if the intention is not to display it. >> 2. Display a message when calling compilation-next-error like this: >> Error: 2/623 > > I think it would be nice to display the same in the mode line. Yes I agree but let's get the count of errors right first. >> Sadly this second patch doesn't account for the fact that some >> compilation messages are removed later on by font-lock. > > `grep' used to remove parts of grep/compilation messages, > but now there shouldn't be such a problem in grep's font-lock. > Do you have a test case that would demonstrate this problem > in compilation's font-lock? I mean the 'compilation-message' property. In my second patch, the count is based on each compilation-message properties inserted but it is removed in, for example, these lines: Grep started at Wed Feb 6 09:11:06 Grep finished (matches found) at Wed Feb 6 09:11:06 Here is the latest patches in one diff: http://bpaste.net/show/npDaKs5Wvuk2AxSWgOiV The total error count is still incorrect because (compilation-next-error -1 nil (point-max)) doesn't find me the last real error but: Grep finished (matches found) at Wed Feb 6 09:11:06