all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Bug report and sendmail
@ 2003-12-09 14:32 Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-12-09 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does bug report only use sendmail?  That's what it appears from my
use of it.  On Mac OS X, sendmail is not configured by default; if
bug report requires sendmail, then my bug reports have been spooled
somewhere and have not been seen by anyone.

If bug report uses sendmail, is there a way to configure it to use
SMPT and my usual mail server?

* Re: Bug report and sendmail
@ 2003-12-09 17:21 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-12-09 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:

> Does bug report only use sendmail?  That's what it appears from my
> use of it.  On Mac OS X, sendmail is not configured by default; if
> bug report requires sendmail, then my bug reports have been spooled
> somewhere and have not been seen by anyone.

How the report is sent depends on `send-mail-function'.  If you don't
want to use sendmail:

     (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

If you're using Gnus¹:

     (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

¹ I.e. if you made Gnus the default MUA:

    (setq mail-user-agent 'gnus-user-agent)

* Re: Bug report and sendmail
@ 2003-12-09 17:37 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-12-09 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim McNamara wrote:

> Does bug report only use sendmail?  That's what it appears from my
> use of it.  On Mac OS X, sendmail is not configured by default; if
> bug report requires sendmail, then my bug reports have been spooled
> somewhere and have not been seen by anyone.
>
> If bug report uses sendmail, is there a way to configure it to use
> SMPT and my usual mail server?

report-emacs-bug uses compose-mail, whose doc string references
mail-user-agent, which defaults to sendmail-user-agent.  But sendmail.el
can be customized to do what you want; see smtpmail.el:

;; Please add these lines in your .emacs(_emacs) or use customize.
;;
;;(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) ; if you use `mail'
;;(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) ; if you are using Gnus.
;;(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "YOUR SMTP HOST")
;;(setq smtpmail-local-domain "YOUR DOMAIN NAME")
;;(setq smtpmail-sendto-domain "YOUR DOMAIN NAME")
;;(setq smtpmail-debug-info t) ; only to debug problems

;; To queue mail, set smtpmail-queue-mail to t and use
;; smtpmail-send-queued-mail to send.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Bug report and sendmail
@ 2003-12-09 20:16 ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-12-09 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here is my existing configuration:

>From my .emacs:

(require 'smtpmail)
  (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)         ; for `mail'
  (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) ; for `message'
  (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.bitstream.net")
  (setq smtpmail-local-domain nil)
  (setq smtpmail-queue-mail nil)
  (setq smtpmail-debug-info nil)

and from my .gnus:

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnml ""))
(eval-after-load "mail-source"
 '(add-to-list 'mail-sources '(pop :server "mail.bitstream.net"
                                   :user "myusername"
                                   :password "passwd")))
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.bitstream.net")

(setq gnus-confirm-mail-reply-to-news t)

(setq gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups
      "mail.misc")

* Re: Bug report and sendmail
@ 2003-12-10  1:09   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-12-10  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim McNamara wrote:

> Here is my existing configuration:
>
> From my .emacs:
>
> (require 'smtpmail)
>   (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)         ; for `mail'
>   (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) ; for `message'
>   (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.bitstream.net")

That should be smtpmail-default-smtp-server.

>   (setq smtpmail-local-domain nil)

Hmmm, why not "bitstream.net"?

>   (setq smtpmail-queue-mail nil)
>   (setq smtpmail-debug-info nil)

Since you're trying to debug a problem, why not t?

> and from my .gnus:

I don't think that's relevant, unless you're reporting a Gnus bug.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Bug report and sendmail
@ 2003-12-10  2:40     ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-12-10  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Tim McNamara wrote:
>
>> Here is my existing configuration:
>> From my .emacs:
>
>> (require 'smtpmail)
>> (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)         ; for `mail'
>> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) ; for `message'
>> (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.bitstream.net")
>
> That should be smtpmail-default-smtp-server.

Ah!  That makes sense, being that it *is* my default mail server.  Is
there a reason to do so other than logical consistency?

>> (setq smtpmail-local-domain nil)
>
> Hmmm, why not "bitstream.net"?

The truthful answer?  Because I don't yet really know what I'm doing
with the .emacs and .gnus files.  So, if I understand correctly, this
could be (setq smtpmail-local-domain "bitstream.net")?  What would be
the advantage?

>>   (setq smtpmail-queue-mail nil)
>>   (setq smtpmail-debug-info nil)
>
> Since you're trying to debug a problem, why not t?

Hmmm, I don't know.  I probably pasted this out of a reply to an
earlier query.

Thanks!

* Re: Bug report and sendmail
@ 2003-12-10 16:39   ` gebser
From: gebser @ 2003-12-10 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:37 (UTC-0700) on Tue, 9 Dec 2003 Kevin Rodgers said:

= Tim McNamara wrote:
=
= ...
=
= ;; Please add these lines in your .emacs(_emacs) or use customize.
= ;;
= ;;(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) ; if you use `mail'
= ;;(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) ; if you are using Gnus.
= ;;(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "YOUR SMTP HOST")
= ;;(setq smtpmail-local-domain "YOUR DOMAIN NAME")
= ;;(setq smtpmail-sendto-domain "YOUR DOMAIN NAME")
= ...

My emacs doesn't have the above variable-- smtpmail-sendto-domain, in
fact no mention of it anywhere in the 'lisp' directory and below.
Which version of emacs is it in?

tnx,
ken

* Re: Bug report and sendmail
       [not found] <mailman.1502.1071078084.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-12-11  1:05 ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-12-11  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

gebser@speakeasy.net writes:

> At 10:37 (UTC-0700) on Tue, 9 Dec 2003 Kevin Rodgers said:
>
> = Tim McNamara wrote:
> =
> = ...
> =
> = ;; Please add these lines in your .emacs(_emacs) or use customize.
> = ;;
> = ;;(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) ; if you use `mail'
> = ;;(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) ; if you are
> using Gnus.
> = ;;(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "YOUR SMTP HOST")
> = ;;(setq smtpmail-local-domain "YOUR DOMAIN NAME")
> = ;;(setq smtpmail-sendto-domain "YOUR DOMAIN NAME")
> = ...
>
> My emacs doesn't have the above variable-- smtpmail-sendto-domain,
> in fact no mention of it anywhere in the 'lisp' directory and below.
> Which version of emacs is it in?

Heh.  Don't know.  I am sure I just ignorantly cut and pasted
recommendations from gnu.emacs.help and gnu.emacs.gnus into my .emacs
and .gnus files without really understanding the Lisp (still don't,
quite honestly).  However, Emacs 20.7.5, 21.2.50 and 21.3.50.1
haven't complained about improper Lisp.  Perhaps it's just ignored.