all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Printing under OS X
@ 2004-01-20  6:34 Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2004-01-20  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm running Emacs under X11 in Mac OS X and have a printing question
that I couldn't resolve looking at the documentation.  OS X now uses
CUPS.  I can print a file on my HP LaserJet 1012 using File > Print
Buffer.  I can't print a TeX file from within tex-mode using any of
the options Command > Print.  Obviously I'm doing something wrong; I
can't figure out what.

Thanks!

* Re: Printing under OS X
@ 2004-01-20 14:54 ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2004-01-20 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:

> I'm running Emacs under X11 in Mac OS X and have a printing question
> that I couldn't resolve looking at the documentation.  OS X now uses
> CUPS.  I can print a file on my HP LaserJet 1012 using File > Print
> Buffer.  I can't print a TeX file from within tex-mode using any of
> the options Command > Print.  Obviously I'm doing something wrong; I
> can't figure out what.

Addendum- I note that in TeX mode, the Command > Print options refer
to "dvips" in the minibuffer- is this an external application (i.e.,
should there be a "dvips" somewhere in my PATH) or is this an elisp
package that should be somewhere in my site-lisp directory?

* Re: Printing under OS X
@ 2004-01-20 14:59   ` Joakim Hove
From: Joakim Hove @ 2004-01-20 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:

> Addendum- I note that in TeX mode, the Command > Print options refer
> to "dvips" in the minibuffer- is this an external application (i.e.,
> should there be a "dvips" somewhere in my PATH) or is this an elisp
> package that should be somewhere in my site-lisp directory?

dvips is a program for converting .dvi files to .ps files, so yes,
you need a 'dvips' application. Look in the *Messages* buffer after a
unsuccessful attempt at printing - there might be a complaint about a
missing dvips application there.

If you have a complete and working (La)TeX installation you probably
(must ??) have dvips installed somewhere.

HTH - Joakim

 / Joakim Hove  / hove@bccs.no  /  (55 5) 84076       |                 \
 | Unifob AS, Avdeling for Beregningsvitenskap (BCCS) | Stabburveien 18 |
 | CMU                                                | 5231 Paradis    |
 \ Thormøhlensgt.55, 5020 Bergen.                     | 55 91 28 18     /

* Re: Printing under OS X
@ 2004-01-20 19:06     ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2004-01-20 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joakim Hove <hove@bccs.no> writes:

> Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:
>
>> Addendum- I note that in TeX mode, the Command > Print options
>> refer to "dvips" in the minibuffer- is this an external application
>> (i.e., should there be a "dvips" somewhere in my PATH) or is this
>> an elisp package that should be somewhere in my site-lisp
>> directory?
>
> dvips is a program for converting .dvi files to .ps files, so yes,
> you need a 'dvips' application. Look in the *Messages* buffer after
> a unsuccessful attempt at printing - there might be a complaint
> about a missing dvips application there.
>
> If you have a complete and working (La)TeX installation you probably
> (must ??) have dvips installed somewhere.

I installed AucTeX from source, but no dvips with that or anywhere on
my drive.  I'll look around on the 'net.  Thanks!

* Re: Printing under OS X
@ 2004-01-21  5:51       ` Hubert Chan
From: Hubert Chan @ 2004-01-21  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

>> If you have a complete and working (La)TeX installation you probably
>> (must ??) have dvips installed somewhere.

Tim> I installed AucTeX from source, but no dvips with that or anywhere
Tim> on my drive.  I'll look around on the 'net.  Thanks!

AucTeX is not a (La)TeX distribution.  It is only an emacs package for
making dealing with (La)TeX files easier.  In order to do anything
useful with LaTeX files, you'll need to install a LaTeX distribution.
It looks like fink[1] includes a port of tetex, so you can try that.

[1] http://fink.sourceforge.net/

Just install fink, and run "apt-get install tetex" from a terminal.
(Or use their graphical tool, if you don't like the command line.)
Then you'll have to fiddle with some path stuff so that emacs can find
fink-installed software.  (I don't use a Mac, so I can't help you with
that.  Maybe someone else can.)

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA

* Re: Printing under OS X
@ 2004-01-21 12:58         ` Louisa Land
From: Louisa Land @ 2004-01-21 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-01-21, Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> wrote:
> Then you'll have to fiddle with some path stuff so that emacs can find
> fink-installed software.

Should be sufficient just to add /sw/bin and /sw/sbin to exec-path.

* Re: Printing under OS X
@ 2004-01-21 14:59         ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2004-01-21 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> writes:

> [...]
>
>>> If you have a complete and working (La)TeX installation you
>>> probably (must ??) have dvips installed somewhere.
>
> Tim> I installed AucTeX from source, but no dvips with that or
> Tim> anywhere on my drive.  I'll look around on the 'net.  Thanks!
>
> AucTeX is not a (La)TeX distribution.  It is only an emacs package
> for making dealing with (La)TeX files easier.  In order to do
> anything useful with LaTeX files, you'll need to install a LaTeX
> distribution.

Yes, thank, I was able to figure out the essentials.  Mainly I want to
be able to send articles for publication formatted in LaTeX, so- as it
turns out from my research- I would be perfectly satisfied with a
previewer rather than being able to print hard copies.

> It looks like fink[1] includes a port of tetex, so you can try that.
>
> [1] http://fink.sourceforge.net/
>
> Just install fink, and run "apt-get install tetex" from a terminal.
> (Or use their graphical tool, if you don't like the command line.)
> Then you'll have to fiddle with some path stuff so that emacs can
> find fink-installed software.  (I don't use a Mac, so I can't help
> you with that.  Maybe someone else can.)

I'm familiar with fink and no longer use it because its non-standard
installation paths (putting everything in a /sw directory) end up
causing more trouble than it's worth.  The other emerging standard is
to put everything in an /opt directory, which has the added benefit
of creating probelsm with /sw installations as well as putting files
in unexpected places so that standard installations can't find them.
Sigh.  The OS X community really hasn't quite gotten the hang of this
yet.

Thanks for your suggestions!  This is probably the most practically
helpful newsgroup I read.

* Re: Printing under OS X
@ 2004-01-21 18:04           ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-01-21 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim McNamara wrote:

> I'm familiar with fink and no longer use it because its non-standard
> installation paths (putting everything in a /sw directory) end up
> causing more trouble than it's worth.  The other emerging standard is
> to put everything in an /opt directory, which has the added benefit
> of creating probelsm with /sw installations as well as putting files
> in unexpected places so that standard installations can't find them.
> Sigh.  The OS X community really hasn't quite gotten the hang of this
> yet.

Just make /sw and /opt links to /usr/local.  :-)

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Printing under OS X
@ 2004-01-21 18:40             ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2004-01-21 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Tim McNamara wrote:
>
>> I'm familiar with fink and no longer use it because its
>> non-standard installation paths (putting everything in a /sw
>> directory) end up causing more trouble than it's worth.  The other
>> emerging standard is to put everything in an /opt directory, which
>> has the added benefit of creating probelsm with /sw installations
>> as well as putting files in unexpected places so that standard
>> installations can't find them.  Sigh.  The OS X community really
>> hasn't quite gotten the hang of this yet.
>
> Just make /sw and /opt links to /usr/local.  :-)

Well, *there's* a simple idea I hadn't thought of!  And configure fink
to install in /usr/local/*.  Huh.

* Re: Printing under OS X
@ 2004-01-21 20:00           ` Garglemonster
From: Garglemonster @ 2004-01-21 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    >>  AucTeX is not a (La)TeX distribution.  It is only an emacs
    >> package for making dealing with (La)TeX files easier.  In order
    >> to do anything useful with LaTeX files, you'll need to install
    >> a LaTeX distribution.

    Tim> Yes, thank, I was able to figure out the essentials.  Mainly
    Tim> I want to be able to send articles for publication formatted
    Tim> in LaTeX, so- as it turns out from my research- I would be
    Tim> perfectly satisfied with a previewer rather than being able
    Tim> to print hard copies.

but even if you do that, latex/tex have to chew on the files first.
whether you have them spit the files out in the direction of the
screen or the printer, you still need tex/latex.  the upshot is that
you pretty much need a full tex installation even to preview files.
you could run latex on someone else's machine that you access
remotely, but that's hardly worth the trouble.  if worse comes to
worse, just get the source for tetex and compile it yourself.  texlive
is another option.

and besides, you will want to print out your stuff for editing.

--
garglemonster@my-deja.com

I love ROCK 'N ROLL!  I memorized the all WORDS to "WIPE-OUT" in
1965!!

* Re: Printing under OS X
@ 2004-01-21 23:31             ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2004-01-21 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Garglemonster <garglemonster@my-deja.com> writes:

>     >>  AucTeX is not a (La)TeX distribution.  It is only an emacs
>     >> package for making dealing with (La)TeX files easier.  In
>     >> order to do anything useful with LaTeX files, you'll need to
>     >> install a LaTeX distribution.
>
>     Tim> Yes, thank, I was able to figure out the essentials.
>     Tim> Mainly I want to be able to send articles for publication
>     Tim> formatted in LaTeX, so- as it turns out from my research- I
>     Tim> would be perfectly satisfied with a previewer rather than
>     Tim> being able to print hard copies.
>
> but even if you do that, latex/tex have to chew on the files first.
> whether you have them spit the files out in the direction of the
> screen or the printer, you still need tex/latex.  the upshot is that
> you pretty much need a full tex installation even to preview files.
> you could run latex on someone else's machine that you access
> remotely, but that's hardly worth the trouble.  if worse comes to
> worse, just get the source for tetex and compile it yourself.
> texlive is another option.

Ah, well, rapidly becoming more trouble than its worth!  With limited
hard drive space, the excessive mechanics of a full install of all the
various libraries and binaries, sorting out all the dependencies,
etc., is too much of a PITA.  It's at times like these that the rather
Byzantine architecture of the Unix filesystem becomes annoying.

Pity, really, as it looks to me like LaTeX ought to be renderable
along the same lines as HTML and not require 100+ megabytes of stuff
to do even the simplest task.

> and besides, you will want to print out your stuff for editing.

A fountain pen is so much simpler.

* Re: Printing under OS X
@ 2004-01-22  0:03               ` leo
From: leo @ 2004-01-22  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi tim

"Tim McNamara" <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote in message
> Garglemonster <garglemonster@my-deja.com> writes:
>
> Ah, well, rapidly becoming more trouble than its worth!  With limited
> hard drive space, the excessive mechanics of a full install of all the
> various libraries and binaries, sorting out all the dependencies,
> etc., is too much of a PITA.  It's at times like these that the rather
> Byzantine architecture of the Unix filesystem becomes annoying.
>
> Pity, really, as it looks to me like LaTeX ought to be renderable
> along the same lines as HTML and not require 100+ megabytes of stuff
> to do even the simplest task.
>
> > and besides, you will want to print out your stuff for editing.
>
> A fountain pen is so much simpler.

you are looking for tex on the mac and you think its a PITA? i fully
understand:
_installing tex i never liked, but _using_ tex was always fun...

i've just started looking into tex on the mac(*) and i found
http://www.rna.nl/tex.html.
that might be interesting for you...

cheers, leo

(*) years ago at uni i was kind of a latex geek... but then came work, word
and
windows.... but now i'm privatly on the mac side of live and evenually i'll
be back
on the tex track!

* Re: Printing under OS X
@ 2004-01-22  7:08               ` Garglemonster
From: Garglemonster @ 2004-01-22  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

    >> the upshot is that you pretty much need a full tex installation
    >> even to preview files.  you could run latex on someone else's
    >> machine that you access remotely, but that's hardly worth the
    >> trouble.  if worse comes to worse, just get the source for
    >> tetex and compile it yourself.  texlive is another option.

    Tim> Ah, well, rapidly becoming more trouble than its worth!  With
    Tim> limited hard drive space, the excessive mechanics of a full
    Tim> install of all the various libraries and binaries, sorting
    Tim> out all the dependencies, etc., is too much of a PITA.  It's
    Tim> at times like these that the rather Byzantine architecture of
    Tim> the Unix filesystem becomes annoying.

I've only done this with a ppc mac running linux, but tetex is pretty
easy to compile and install.  Took a while, but it was
straightforward.  Dunno how much of a pain it would be on OSX.  (Does
it have tar, cc, make and all that?  Some of those commercial unices
were a pain that way.)  There's not much we can do about the drive
space problem, though.

    Tim> Pity, really, as it looks to me like LaTeX ought to be
    Tim> renderable along the same lines as HTML and not require 100+
    Tim> megabytes of stuff to do even the simplest task.

The point of tex & latex is to output stuff through the printer that
looks good.  That's not a big concern with html where you don't know
what browsers with what settings people will be pointing at your
document.  Anyway, if you don't mind html approximations of your latex
files, you could just "compile" them with one of the latex to html
converters.  You could even set up auctex to do that.  There are
several options on this front.

    >> and besides, you will want to print out your stuff for editing.

    Tim> A fountain pen is so much simpler.

Depends on how much text you have and what it is.  Editing longish
articles can be a pain with pens & notebooks.  Verse would be
different.  I do compose with a fountain pen, but at some point all my
writing goes through emacs/auctex to latex and out my printer.  Then i
unleash my editing "51" and m800...

--
garglemonster@my-deja.com

Are you mentally here at Pizza Hut??

* Re: Printing under OS X
@ 2004-01-22 12:36               ` Colin Marquardt
From: Colin Marquardt @ 2004-01-22 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:

> Pity, really, as it looks to me like LaTeX ought to be renderable
> along the same lines as HTML and not require 100+ megabytes of stuff
> to do even the simplest task.

It's designed to render the same output on every device it supports,
not to "put out some text". That said, it might be less hassle to
just use pdflatex and get PDF files as output (hyperlinked and all
if wanted), rather than going the DVI --> PS route.

Being increasingly OT here, the follow-up should probably go to
comp.text.tex, but I don't read that group at the moment...

Cheers,
  Colin