all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ? OSX compile from CVS (and some setup questions)
@ 2002-11-11 12:19 Heiko Hellweg
From: Heiko Hellweg @ 2002-11-11 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried (and failed) to build my own Emacs on Mac OSX.2
directly from CVS (checked out today: 11th. of Nov. 2002)
as described on http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-emacs/:

--->
  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
  cd emacs
  ./configure --with-carbon --without-x
  make bootstrap
<---

wich came up with the following error:

--->
Compiling /Users/hh/tmp/emacs/emacs/lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.el
>>Error occurred processing /Users/hh/tmp/emacs/emacs/lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.el: Symbol's function definition is void ((char-table-p))
make[1]: *** [compile] Error 1
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
<---

Is this a known bug in the current CVS? Or is there something obvious
i missed? I checked the recent emacs-devel archive
(http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/emacs-devel/2002-November/thread.html),
but most (end users) comilation problems there seemed to center
on trying just 'make' without the bootstrap ...

Failing that, i got myself a precompiled binary version
(GNU Emacs 21.3.50.2 (powerpc-apple-darwin6.1)) from
http://www.webweavertech.com/ovidiu/emacs.html (which i'm using
right now in conjunction with gnus...) and - well - i've still
got some questions:

first of all: when i start emacs from the commandline (Aqua or
tty via '-nw') with a filename as parameter, as in
        /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -nw textfile.txt
it starts up showing the general info (the usual 20 or such lines:
"Welcome to GNU Emacs ...") and only shows the contents of textfile.txt
after i pressed some key.
That is quite irritating. Is there a way to turn this of?

second: running that emacs on the tty, it seems not to honor
my colorized vt100 terminfo entry:

--->
hh@ifruit:emacs/ %infocmp vt100
#       Reconstructed via infocmp from file: /Users/hh/.terminfo/v/vt100
vt100-color,
        am, xenl,
        colors#8, cols#80, it#8, lines#24, pairs#64, vt#3,
        bel=^G, blink=\E[5m$<2/>, bold=\E[1m$<2/>,
        clear=\E[;H\E[2J, cr=^M, csr=\E[%i%p1%d;%p2%dr, cub1=^H,
        cud1=^J, cuf1=\E[C$<2/>, cup=\E[%i%p1%d;%p2%dH$<5/>,
        cuu1=\E[A$<2/>, ed=\E[J$<50/>, el=\E[K$<3/>, home=\E[H,
        ht=^I, ind=\ED$<2*/>, kbs=^H, kcub1=\EOD, kcud1=\EOB,
        kcuf1=\EOC, kcuu1=\EOA, kf1=\EOP, kf2=\EOQ, kf3=\EOR,
        kf4=\EOS, nel=\r\ED$<2*/>, op=\E[m, rc=\E8, rev=\E[7m$<2/>,
        rf=/usr/share/tabset/vt100, ri=\EM$<2*/>,
        rmkx=\E[?1l\E>, rmso=\E[m$<2/>, rmul=\E[m$<2/>,
        rs2=\E>\E[?3l\E[?4l\E[?5l\E[?7h\E[?8h\E[;r\E[0m\E(B\E)B\E[2J,
        sc=\E7, setab=\E[4%p1%dm, setaf=\E[3%p1%dm,
        setb=\E[4%p1%dm, setf=\E[3%p1%dm, sgr0=\E[m$<2/>,
        smkx=\E[?1h\E=, smso=\E[7m$<2/>, smul=\E[4m$<2/>,
<---

The apple supplied emacs (GNU Emacs 21.1.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin6.0)),
and a fink installation of (GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin, X toolkit))
[see http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/section.php/editors] used color for
font-lock-mode , while the Aqua 21.3.50.2 build reverts to bold/underline
on the tty...

I also tried the ~/.termcap suggestion from the (cvs source)/mac/INSTALL
file without success.

On the other hand, that 21.3.50.2 Aqua buld seems to be the only
one that accepts 8bit ISO8859-1 umlauts on the tty. the apple
supplied version always cut of the high bit (e.g. 'ä'=0xe4 becomes
'd'=0x64)... anyone got an idea, why they won't accept, that Terminal.app
is 8 bit clean? 'stty -a' says, among other things:

--->
cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl -clocal -cstopb -crtscts -mdmbuf
<---

... oh well ... seems like i'm stuck with either having color or umlauts
on the tty... (yes: for some reason, i prefer tty emacs).

I hope, all that rambling makes sense.
bye - Heiko

* Re: ? OSX compile from CVS (and some setup questions)
@ 2002-11-11 13:22 ` Hugo Wolf
From: Hugo Wolf @ 2002-11-11 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <m2fzu88fjx.fsf@ifruit.bonn.iz-soz.de>, Heiko Hellweg wrote:
> I tried (and failed) to build my own Emacs on Mac OSX.2

I can't help you with this.  Last time I built it from the cvs sources
(mid October), I had no problems.

> first of all: when i start emacs from the commandline (Aqua or
> tty via '-nw') with a filename as parameter, as in
>         /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -nw textfile.txt
> it starts up showing the general info (the usual 20 or such lines:
> "Welcome to GNU Emacs ...") and only shows the contents of textfile.txt
> after i pressed some key.

You can get around this in Aqua as follows:

 open -a /Applications/Emacs.app textfile.txt

I don't know how to avoid it in -nw mode.

> [color for font-lock-mode in a Terminal/console]

I do this by redefining faces, as below.  This works in all four emacs
variants I currently have installed (xemacs 21.4.10, gnu emacs 21.1.1
from Apple, gnu emacs 21.2.1 from fink, gnu emacs 21.3.50.1 from cvs):

(copy-face 'bold 'font-lock-preprocessor-face)
(copy-face 'bold 'font-lock-function-name-face)
(copy-face 'italic 'font-lock-comment-face)
(copy-face 'font-lock-comment-face 'font-lock-doc-string-face)
(copy-face 'italic 'font-lock-type-face)
(copy-face 'bold 'font-lock-keyword-face)

You probably only want to do this for terminal/console mode, since
it's somewhat ugly in Aqua or X11.  At the momemnt I conditionalize
this based on window-system.  Yes, I know, that may not be the right
variable in this situation.  But it _seems_ to be...

> On the other hand, that 21.3.50.2 Aqua buld seems to be the only
> one that accepts 8bit ISO8859-1 umlauts on the tty.

This is also my experience, though you can enter them with ^q followed
by the octal code, eg ^q-3-7-4 for ü.  You won't see the character
until you type the next one (I know this fixable but I can't remember
what the fix is -- iso-insert or something like that?).

Otoh I've never figured out how to display these special latin-1 chars
properly in any terminal gnu emacs under osx.  Do you know the answer
to that one? It works fine in terminal xemacs, X11 xemacs, X11 gnu
emacs, and Aqua/Carbon gnu emacs.

> ... oh well ... seems like i'm stuck with either having color or umlauts
> on the tty... (yes: for some reason, i prefer tty emacs).

Try the face hack, above, to get font-lock color.  Or use the octal
instead of the option-key style of entry in any emacs/xemacs in which
color is already working as you want it to.  If you don't plan to use
the Mac window system, I'm not sure it's worth bothering to build the
cvs sources at all.

* Re: ? OSX compile from CVS (and some setup questions)
@ 2002-11-11 17:39 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-11 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Heiko Hellweg <nospam@snark.de> writes:

> Compiling /Users/hh/tmp/emacs/emacs/lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.el
>>>Error occurred processing /Users/hh/tmp/emacs/emacs/lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.el: Symbol's function definition is void ((char-table-p))
> make[1]: *** [compile] Error 1
> make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
> <---
>
> Is this a known bug in the current CVS?

Yes, it's known.  A workaround is to edit cc-vars.el and comment out
the appropriate cc-bytecomp-defun statement on line 49 or so.

It's useful to read the Emacs developer list if you are using the CVS
version.

kai

* Re: ? OSX compile from CVS (and some setup questions)
@ 2002-11-12 15:54   ` Heiko Hellweg
From: Heiko Hellweg @ 2002-11-12 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Heiko Hellweg <nospam@snark.de> writes:
>
> > Compiling /Users/hh/tmp/emacs/emacs/lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.el
> > make[1]: *** [compile] Error 1
> > make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
> > <---
> >
> > Is this a known bug in the current CVS?
>
> Yes, it's known.  A workaround is to edit cc-vars.el and comment out
> the appropriate cc-bytecomp-defun statement on line 49 or so.

thanks - that helped to compile and install.

But then (for some stupid reason like 'now let's do it all over again'),
i did a 'make uninstall' and tried to - well - do it all over again
(and because the update to Max OS 10.2.2 seems to force recompiling emacs):

check out src from cvs, edit cc-vars.el, configure, make bootstrap

and this time, it dies with:

--->
(cd lisp; make  bootstrap EMACS=../src/bootstrap-emacs)
wd=/Users/hh/tmp/emacs/lisp; subdirs=`find $wd -type d -print`; for file in $subdirs; do case $file in */Old | */RCS | */CVS | */CVS/* | */=* ) ;; *) wins="$wins $file" ;; esac; done; \
for file in $wins; do \
   /Users/hh/tmp/emacs/lisp/../update-subdirs $file; \
done;
wd=/Users/hh/tmp/emacs/lisp; subdirs=`find $wd -type d -print`; for file in $subdirs; do case $file in */Old | */RCS | */CVS | */CVS/* | */=* ) ;; *) wins="$wins $file" ;; esac; done; \
echo Directories: $wins; \
../src/bootstrap-emacs -batch --no-site-file --multibyte -l autoload --eval '(setq generated-autoload-file "/Users/hh/tmp/emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el")' -f batch-update-autoloads $wins
Directories: /Users/hh/tmp/emacs/lisp /Users/hh/tmp/emacs/lisp/calc /Users/hh/tmp/emacs/lisp/calendar /Users/hh/tmp/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp /Users/hh/tmp/emacs/lisp/emulation /Users/hh/tmp/emacs/lisp/eshell /Users/hh/tmp/emacs/lisp/gnus /Users/hh/tmp/emacs/lisp/international /Users/hh/tmp/emacs/lisp/language /Users/hh/tmp/emacs/lisp/mail /Users/hh/tmp/emacs/lisp/net /Users/hh/tmp/emacs/lisp/obsolete /Users/hh/tmp/emacs/lisp/play /Users/hh/tmp/emacs/lisp/progmodes /Users/hh/tmp/emacs/lisp/term /Users/hh/tmp/emacs/lisp/textmodes /Users/hh/tmp/emacs/lisp/toolbar
make[1]: *** [autoloads] Error 139
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
<---

did 'make uninstall' break something critical? or did a new error creep into cvs
over the night?

> It's useful to read the Emacs developer list if you are using the CVS
> version.

i tried - but the archives at http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/emacs-devel/ didn't
really help - and subscribing to a devel-list seems not to appropriate for
one-time problems like these. I thougth, that's what usenet is for.

* Re: ? OSX compile from CVS (and some setup questions)
@ 2002-11-12 16:03   ` Heiko Hellweg
From: Heiko Hellweg @ 2002-11-12 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hugo Wolf <hwolf@deutsches.lieder.net> writes:

> In article <m2fzu88fjx.fsf@ifruit.bonn.iz-soz.de>, Heiko Hellweg wrote:
>
> > [color for font-lock-mode in a Terminal/console]
>
> I do this by redefining faces, as below.  This works in all four emacs
> variants I currently have installed (xemacs 21.4.10, gnu emacs 21.1.1
> from Apple, gnu emacs 21.2.1 from fink, gnu emacs 21.3.50.1 from cvs):
>
> (copy-face 'bold 'font-lock-preprocessor-face)
> (copy-face 'bold 'font-lock-function-name-face)
> (copy-face 'italic 'font-lock-comment-face)
> (copy-face 'font-lock-comment-face 'font-lock-doc-string-face)
> (copy-face 'italic 'font-lock-type-face)
> (copy-face 'bold 'font-lock-keyword-face)

that only switches the bold/underline attributes around a bit for me.

With the apple supplied emacs (and the fink build too), i got
real ansi colors in tty-emacs.
see http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20020408225741777

This whole termcap/terminfo setup seems to fail misreably with
the 21.3 build from my previous post.

> > On the other hand, that 21.3.50.2 Aqua buld seems to be the only
> > one that accepts 8bit ISO8859-1 umlauts on the tty.
>
> This is also my experience, though you can enter them with ^q followed
> by the octal code, eg ^q-3-7-4 for ü.  You won't see the character
> until you type the next one (I know this fixable but I can't remember
> what the fix is -- iso-insert or something like that?).
>
> Otoh I've never figured out how to display these special latin-1 chars
> properly in any terminal gnu emacs under osx.  Do you know the answer
> to that one? It works fine in terminal xemacs, X11 xemacs, X11 gnu
> emacs, and Aqua/Carbon gnu emacs.

They display them just fine! I just can't enter them :-(

I've set up Terminal.app for ISO Latin 1 and viewing a file
with iso encoded umlauts shows them correctly in tty emacs (all the
builds i mentioned). Entering them from my (german) keyboard
however results in stripped high-bits in the fink and apple versions.
The 21.3 build handlet that correctly - but colorless..

thanks - Heiko

* Re: ? OSX compile from CVS (and some setup questions)
@ 2002-11-12 16:48     ` Schone Mullerin
From: Schone Mullerin @ 2002-11-12 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

To answer your question about building from CVS (which I just had to
do, since the 10.2.1->10.2.2 osx upgrade broke my earlier build), you
really should follow the recommendations on Andrew Choi's page.  In
particular, check out the version from 1-November.

In article <m28yzydbbp.fsf@ifruit.bonn.iz-soz.de>, Heiko Hellweg wrote:
> that only switches the bold/underline attributes around a bit for me.

Yes, I realized after posting that this solution isn't appropriate in
this context.  It _can_ be made to work in xemacs, but not exactly in
the way I described it.

>> Otoh I've never figured out how to display these special latin-1 chars
>> properly in any terminal gnu emacs under osx.  Do you know the answer
>> to that one? It works fine in terminal xemacs, X11 xemacs, X11 gnu
>> emacs, and Aqua/Carbon gnu emacs.
>
> They display them just fine! I just can't enter them :-(

Try ^q with octal codes, as I described before.  Here's a little table
of octal codes I find handy:

     0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
240:   ¡ ¢ £ ¤ ¥ ¦ §
250: ¨ © ª « ¬ ­ ® ¯
260: ° ± ² ³ ´ µ ¶ ·
270:   ¹ º » ¼ ½ ¾ ¿
300: À Á Â Ã Ä Å Æ Ç
310: È É Ê Ë Ì Í Î Ï
320: Ð Ñ Ò Ó Ô Õ Ö ×
330: Ø Ù Ú Û Ü Ý Þ ß
340: à á â ã ä å æ ç
350: è é ê ë ì í î ï
360: ð ñ ò ó ô õ ö ÷
370: ø ù ú û ü ý þ ÿ

If you load iso-insert, you can also do it functionally (eg m-x
insert-u-umlaut).  Most of these functions also have global (?) key
bindings.  Not as easy as using the option key in macos, but usable.

> I've set up Terminal.app for ISO Latin 1 and viewing a file
> with iso encoded umlauts shows them correctly in tty emacs (all the
> builds i mentioned).

Well, I'm puzzled.

I also set Terminal.app to use iso-latin-1.  If I cat a file with
special latin1 characters in it, it looks fine. If I view it in xemacs
running either in a Terminal window or as an X11 client, it looks
fine.  If I view it in carbon emacs running in Aqua, and if I follow
the advice on Andrew Choi's page, it looks fine.  If I view it in gnu
emacs running as an X11 client, it looks fine.

But if I view it in any gnu emacs running in a Terminal window, I get
?'s or some other oddity.  I've never yet seen valid latin1 chars in
the high range when running gnu emacs in a Terminal.  What's your
secret?

* Re: ? OSX compile from CVS (and some setup questions)
@ 2002-11-13  7:48     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-13  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Heiko Hellweg <nospam@snark.de> writes:

> i tried - but the archives at
> http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/emacs-devel/ didn't really help -

This very same problem was discussed there recently.  It's not OS X
specific, though.

> and subscribing to a devel-list seems not to appropriate for
> one-time problems like these. I thougth, that's what usenet is for.

Are there any problems that are not one-time problems?  After you
solve them, they are gone...

If you use the CVS version, you should expect problems now and then.
Such is the nature of the development version.  Others will also see
the problems, so reading the mailing list tells you in advance which
problems might occur.

kai

* Re: ? OSX compile from CVS (and some setup questions)
@ 2002-11-13 20:59     ` Heiko Hellweg
From: Heiko Hellweg @ 2002-11-13 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Heiko Hellweg <nospam@snark.de> writes:

> and this time, it dies with:

> ../src/bootstrap-emacs -batch --no-site-file --multibyte -l autoload --eval '(setq generated-autoload-file "/Users/hh/tmp/emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el")' -f batch-update-autoloads $wins
> make[1]: *** [autoloads] Error 139
> make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

Got it:

the Mac OS X 10.2.2 update messed up file permissions all over
the place in a non deterministic way...
OK: not non deterministic - but nobody came up with a predictable pattern
on when this happens to whom, why, how, where...

Running 'fix permission' from Apples Disk Utility AND rebooting cleaned
it all up so i can now compile my own emacs again.

Trying to rebuild inbetween (after fix-permissions, before reboot) did
not work. apparently, some shared libraries were in memory in an inconsistent
state. There goes your uptime :-}

thanks for all your replies - Heiko