all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Open file.
@ 2004-02-18  8:23 Hubert Wisniewski
From: Hubert Wisniewski @ 2004-02-18  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
It is possible to open file from diffrent computer ?

Hubert

* Re: Open file.
@ 2004-02-18  9:24 ` Harold
From: Harold @ 2004-02-18  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hubert Wisniewski writes:

> It is possible to open file from diffrent computer ?

<sorry>
Try to reverse the process of opening different files from the same
computer.
</sorry>

--
Harold Gaspard
http://www.perdu.com

* Re: Open file.
@ 2004-02-18 12:52 ` Kai Grossjohann
       [not found]   ` <mailman.630.1077864933.340.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-02-18 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hubert Wisniewski <hubert_w76@yahoo.com> writes:

> It is possible to open file from diffrent computer ?

Emacs comes with Ange-FTP, which allows you to use FTP for this.  Just
type C-x C-f /user@host:/some/file RET.

There is also Tramp which is similar to Ange-FTP but uses a shell
connection obtained via ssh, rsh, telnet, or su.  Tramp can also use
smbclient.  Warning: I started the whole thing.

Kai

* Re: Open file.
@ 2004-02-27  6:53   ` Jiun-jie Huang
       [not found]   ` <mailman.630.1077864933.340.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jiun-jie Huang @ 2004-02-27  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:

> Emacs comes with Ange-FTP, which allows you to use FTP for this.  Just
> type C-x C-f /user@host:/some/file RET.
>
> There is also Tramp which is similar to Ange-FTP but uses a shell
> connection obtained via ssh, rsh, telnet, or su.  Tramp can also use
> smbclient.  Warning: I started the whole thing.
>
> Kai

Yes, Tramp is a wonderful tool. I use it to edit source code on remote
host, can I use it with compile and gdb? Well, maybe I'm too greedy,
okay, compile is enough. When I use M-x compile with Tramp-opened
file, Emacs will cd /ssh:user@host:/some/dir, then make, but the
directory was wrong. Is it possible to automatically make on remote
machine with issuing a new ssh make command?

J.J.
--
Jiun-jie Huang, aka Albert    E-mail: jjhuang AT cm.nctu.edu.tw
黃俊傑

* Re: Open file.
@ 2004-02-27  9:39     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-02-27  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jiun-jie Huang <jjhuang@cm.nctu.edu.tw> writes:

> Yes, Tramp is a wonderful tool. I use it to edit source code on remote
> host, can I use it with compile and gdb? Well, maybe I'm too greedy,
> okay, compile is enough. When I use M-x compile with Tramp-opened
> file, Emacs will cd /ssh:user@host:/some/dir, then make, but the
> directory was wrong. Is it possible to automatically make on remote
> machine with issuing a new ssh make command?

There is no great support for remote compilation, but Tramp comes with
a file tramp-util.el which defines a command tramp-compile or
similar.  It has the problem that you can't see the output as it is
arriving; you have to wait for the compilation to finish before you
can see the output.

But Michael has added functionality to the CVS version of Tramp which
supports async shell commands -- not sure if that helps, I haven't
looked at it, yet.

Kai

* Re: Open file.
       [not found]   ` <mailman.630.1077864933.340.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-02-27 16:41     ` Kin Cho
From: Kin Cho @ 2004-02-27 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jiun-jie Huang <jjhuang@cm.nctu.edu.tw> writes:

> Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:
>
> > Emacs comes with Ange-FTP, which allows you to use FTP for this.  Just
> > type C-x C-f /user@host:/some/file RET.
> >
> > There is also Tramp which is similar to Ange-FTP but uses a shell
> > connection obtained via ssh, rsh, telnet, or su.  Tramp can also use
> > smbclient.  Warning: I started the whole thing.
> >
> > Kai
>
> Yes, Tramp is a wonderful tool. I use it to edit source code on remote
> host, can I use it with compile and gdb? Well, maybe I'm too greedy,

Why not just start emacs on the remote host and display back on
your display -- then you can do anything you want.

-kin