all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ToDo mode (completed items)
@ 2002-11-25 16:01 Mark Mynsted
From: Mark Mynsted @ 2002-11-25 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Would somebody direct me to information about working with completed
items from the todo list?

I am using emacs-version "21.2.1", and the todo that ships with the
calendar, i.e.

;; Version: $Id: todo-mode.el,v 1.47.4.1 2001/11/13 04:12:45 rms Exp $

All I see from the documentation, etc. is that completed items may be
moved to a file called .todo-done.  While this is good, I do not see a
way to review, print, or otherwise manipulate these completed items.

Is this because there is no mechanism to work with completed items?  I
do not want to write one if one exists.

Also, what todo list "tools" do you use from emacs?

Did Kia create one that worked with Gnus?  (I may have dreamed that...)

--
-MM
I rarely read email from this address          /"\

* Re: ToDo mode (completed items)
@ 2002-11-25 17:45 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-25 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Mynsted <mmynsted_news@gbronline.com> writes:

> All I see from the documentation, etc. is that completed items may be
> moved to a file called .todo-done.  While this is good, I do not see a
> way to review, print, or otherwise manipulate these completed items.

Ha!  I think C-x C-f ~/.todo-done RET is where the fun starts.  Or
ends, as the case may be.

Yeah, there should be a way to manipulate the items.

> Is this because there is no mechanism to work with completed items?  I
> do not want to write one if one exists.

Does it mean you want to write one if none exists? ;-)
*drool*

> Also, what todo list "tools" do you use from emacs?

I've heard reports from people using outline-mode.  C-k and C-y are
your friends for manipulating those :-)

Then there is records mode.

Then there is Hyperbole.

Then there is planner.el

Then there is organizer-mode.

Then there is todoo (note the extra o) which is kind of like a
cross-breed between outline mode and todo mode.

> Did Kia create one that worked with Gnus?  (I may have dreamed that...)

Oops.  Caught me...

It's called gnus-todo or todo-gnus I think.  But it was taken and
improved by John Wiegley.  Now it's called nntodo, if I'm not
mistaken.  I think John does not have time to maintain it anymore and
gave it back to me.  And I don't have time, either...

And then there is another alternative called nndiary.

Oh, there is also a package which provides an Rmail-like interface to
things which are like bug reports.  Sounds a lot like todo items, only
without deadlines.  IIRC, it had a way to interface with Rmail, the
thinking was that many such things are based on an email.  Maybe it
was called something with `bugtracker' in its name.

There is also GNATS (don't confuse it with GNAT), now called PRMS
maybe.  It has an Emacs interface which looks somewhat like MH-E.

Isn't it fascinating that there is such a large assortment of modes
and packages that you can use?  Maybe the way people want to interact
with their todo items is very diverse so that's where the many tools
come from.

kai

* Re: ToDo mode (completed items)
@ 2002-11-25 22:06   ` Mark Mynsted
From: Mark Mynsted @ 2002-11-25 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai> Mark Mynsted <mmynsted_news@gbronline.com> writes:
>> All I see from the documentation, etc. is that completed items may be
>> moved to a file called .todo-done.  While this is good, I do not see a
>> way to review, print, or otherwise manipulate these completed items.

Kai> Ha!  I think C-x C-f ~/.todo-done RET is where the fun starts.  Or
Kai> ends, as the case may be.

Hmmm.

Kai> Yeah, there should be a way to manipulate the items.

>> Is this because there is no mechanism to work with completed items?  I
>> do not want to write one if one exists.

Kai> Does it mean you want to write one if none exists? ;-)
Kai> *drool*

I must admit I would rather not, but if it proves to be the shortest,
most direct route to good "todo" management I guess I will do it.  I
will first check out the other options you discuss.

>> Also, what todo list "tools" do you use from emacs?

Kai> I've heard reports from people using outline-mode.  C-k and C-y are
Kai> your friends for manipulating those :-)

;-)

Kai> Then there is records mode.

Kai> Then there is Hyperbole.

That sounds like the "diary" content...

Kai> Then there is planner.el

Kai> Then there is organizer-mode.

Kai> Then there is todoo (note the extra o) which is kind of like a
Kai> cross-breed between outline mode and todo mode.

So many to try...

>> Did Kia create one that worked with Gnus?  (I may have dreamed that...)

Kai> Oops.  Caught me...

Ah Ha! :-)

Kai> It's called gnus-todo or todo-gnus I think.  But it was taken and
Kai> improved by John Wiegley.  Now it's called nntodo, if I'm not
Kai> mistaken.  I think John does not have time to maintain it anymore and
Kai> gave it back to me.  And I don't have time, either...

Kai> And then there is another alternative called nndiary.

Where can I get nntodo and nndiary?

Kai> Oh, there is also a package which provides an Rmail-like interface to
Kai> things which are like bug reports.  Sounds a lot like todo items, only
Kai> without deadlines.  IIRC, it had a way to interface with Rmail, the
Kai> thinking was that many such things are based on an email.  Maybe it
Kai> was called something with `bugtracker' in its name.

Kai> There is also GNATS (don't confuse it with GNAT), now called PRMS
Kai> maybe.  It has an Emacs interface which looks somewhat like MH-E.

Kai> Isn't it fascinating that there is such a large assortment of modes
Kai> and packages that you can use?  Maybe the way people want to interact
Kai> with their todo items is very diverse so that's where the many tools
Kai> come from.

Wow, there are so many!  (Mark is now assigning self many todos to
check out the many todo programs...  I can't help feeling like I am
somehow trapped in a circular dependency.)  ;-)

Thank you Kai!

--

@ 2002-11-26 16:03     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-26 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Mynsted <mmynsted_news@gbronline.com> writes:

> Where can I get nntodo and nndiary?

The server ls6-ftp.cs.uni-dortmund.de only allows active FTP, but we
have a mirror patty.informatik.uni-duisburg.de which ought to allow
both.  Directory is /pub/src/emacs.

The host name for patty will change.

kai

From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-26 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Mark Mynsted <mmynsted_news@gbronline.com> writes:
>
>> Where can I get nntodo and nndiary?
>
> The server ls6-ftp.cs.uni-dortmund.de only allows active FTP, but we
> have a mirror patty.informatik.uni-duisburg.de which ought to allow
> both.  Directory is /pub/src/emacs.

There you can get nntodo, nndiary has been announced to the Gnus
mailing list, not sure where to get it.

kai

* Re: ToDo mode (completed items)
@ 2002-11-26 20:12         ` Mark Mynsted
From: Mark Mynsted @ 2002-11-26 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>> Mark Mynsted <mmynsted_news@gbronline.com> writes:
>>
>>> Where can I get nntodo and nndiary?
>>
>> The server ls6-ftp.cs.uni-dortmund.de only allows active FTP, but we
>> have a mirror patty.informatik.uni-duisburg.de which ought to allow
>> both.  Directory is /pub/src/emacs.

Kai> There you can get nntodo, nndiary has been announced to the Gnus
Kai> mailing list, not sure where to get it.

Great.  Thank you!

--

@ 2002-11-26 23:42 Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2002-11-26 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 25 Nov 2002 10:01:05 -0600 Mark Mynsted <mmynsted_news@gbronline.com> wrote:

> Would somebody direct me to information about working with completed
> items from the todo list?
>
> I am using emacs-version "21.2.1", and the todo that ships with the
> calendar, i.e.
>
> ;; Version: $Id: todo-mode.el,v 1.47.4.1 2001/11/13 04:12:45 rms Exp $
>
> All I see from the documentation, etc. is that completed items may be
> moved to a file called .todo-done.  While this is good, I do not see a
> way to review, print, or otherwise manipulate these completed items.
>
> Is this because there is no mechanism to work with completed items?  I
> do not want to write one if one exists.

You may be interested in some functionality I've implemented to file
completed todo items within their category and further edit them, and
also send them to the .todo-done file if desired.  (I haven't added a
print function though.)  I posted a large patch for todo-mode.el to
gnu.emacs.bug last Spring that included this and other functionality,
as well as some bug fixes.  In response to your question, I've just
posted the latest version to gnu.emacs.sources (now just as the source
file instead of the large diff I posted to gnu.emacs.bug).  I hope you
find this useful and welcome any feedback.

--Steve Berman

* Re: ToDo mode (completed items)
       [not found] <mailman.1038354233.10867.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-12-03 19:13 ` Mark Mynsted
From: Mark Mynsted @ 2002-12-03 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen> On 25 Nov 2002 10:01:05 -0600 Mark Mynsted <mmynsted_news@gbronline.com> wrote:
>> Would somebody direct me to information about working with completed
>> items from the todo list?
>>
>> I am using emacs-version "21.2.1", and the todo that ships with the
>> calendar, i.e.
>>
>> ;; Version: $Id: todo-mode.el,v 1.47.4.1 2001/11/13 04:12:45 rms Exp $
>>
>> All I see from the documentation, etc. is that completed items may be
>> moved to a file called .todo-done.  While this is good, I do not see a
>> way to review, print, or otherwise manipulate these completed items.
>>
>> Is this because there is no mechanism to work with completed items?  I
>> do not want to write one if one exists.

Stephen> You may be interested in some functionality I've implemented to file
Stephen> completed todo items within their category and further edit them, and
Stephen> also send them to the .todo-done file if desired.  (I haven't added a
Stephen> print function though.)  I posted a large patch for todo-mode.el to
Stephen> gnu.emacs.bug last Spring that included this and other functionality,
Stephen> as well as some bug fixes.  In response to your question, I've just
Stephen> posted the latest version to gnu.emacs.sources (now just as the source
Stephen> file instead of the large diff I posted to gnu.emacs.bug).  I hope you
Stephen> find this useful and welcome any feedback.

Thank you Stephen.  I will check it out.  :-)

--

@ 2002-12-10 21:53 ` Mark Mynsted
From: Mark Mynsted @ 2002-12-10 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen> You may be interested in some functionality I've implemented to file
Stephen> completed todo items within their category and further edit them, and
Stephen> also send them to the .todo-done file if desired.  (I haven't added a
Stephen> print function though.)  I posted a large patch for todo-mode.el to
Stephen> gnu.emacs.bug last Spring that included this and other functionality,
Stephen> as well as some bug fixes.  In response to your question, I've just
Stephen> posted the latest version to gnu.emacs.sources (now just as the source
Stephen> file instead of the large diff I posted to gnu.emacs.bug).  I hope you
Stephen> find this useful and welcome any feedback.

Stephen,

I could not file this in gnu.emacs.sources.  Is it available some
other way, perhaps an ftp site?

--

@ 2003-01-01  2:00   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2003-01-01  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <m2of7ttuaq.fsf@mmynsted.corp.vha.com>,
>Stephen> You may be interested in some functionality I've implemented to file
>Stephen> completed todo items within their category and further edit them, and
>Stephen> also send them to the .todo-done file if desired.  (I haven't added a
>Stephen> print function though.)  I posted a large patch for todo-mode.el to
>Stephen> gnu.emacs.bug last Spring that included this and other functionality,
>Stephen> as well as some bug fixes.  In response to your question, I've just
>Stephen> posted the latest version to gnu.emacs.sources (now just as the source
>Stephen> file instead of the large diff I posted to gnu.emacs.bug).  I hope you
>Stephen> find this useful and welcome any feedback.
>
>Stephen,
>
>I could not file this in gnu.emacs.sources.  Is it available some
>other way, perhaps an ftp site?

Was it ever located?  (Perhaps by hint via email).

Post it here?  Or at least a notice of where it is.

(Since things fixed in it, I'd rather trust "from the
horse's mouth" than a simple google search to maybe
something older...)

David