all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Any hints for JavaScript development?
@ 2016-04-30  4:34 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-04-30  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw

Hi all,

are there any JS developers here who could share their knowledge/Emacs
setup?  There seems to be a few JS modes out there, and some things are
not clear to me.  For instance, it seems that the features of js2-mode
and flycheck overlap (I don't use either yet): does it make sense to use
them both?  What are the auto-completion options (besides plain vanilla
Emacs or things like ivy/helm/icicles and e.g. company)?  Any other
hints?  (I guess I should probably look at skewer-mode; any others?)

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Any hints for JavaScript development?
@ 2016-04-30  4:50 ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found] ` <mailman.1588.1461993634.7477.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-04-30  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> are there any JS developers here who could share
> their knowledge/Emacs setup? There seems to be a few
> JS modes out there, and some things are not clear
> to me.

Well, not a lot of people like JavaScript and those
who do don't brag about it but do it in secret,
I'd think.

Nonetheless, I checked out the normal places and here
are tons of stuff:

    https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryJavaScript

Just as a search of the ELPAs and MELPAs gets 20+ hits
for "JavaScript".

And what's more - don't do it :)

                   - so far: 29 Blogomatic articles -

* Re: Any hints for JavaScript development?
@ 2016-04-30  5:05   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-04-30  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> are there any JS developers here who could share
> their knowledge/Emacs setup?

On that note, are there currently any Emacs browsers
who do JavaScript?

I use Emacs w3m and it doesn't, and I always thought
that the powerhouse browser despite recent efforts
from the Gnus tower. (Emacs w3m is third-party
software but once you get it it is totally integrated
just like any other thing vanilla Emacs comes with.)

But it is an open question if a browser gets more
power by doing JavaScript...

If no browser does JavaScript, I think it should be
branded "counter-Emacsy", and after some show trials
with the predicted result we should purge the
repositories of all efforts in that deviation...

@ 2016-04-30  5:13 ` Jason Foreman
       [not found] ` <mailman.1588.1461993634.7477.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jason Foreman @ 2016-04-30  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> are there any JS developers here who could share their knowledge/Emacs
> setup?  There seems to be a few JS modes out there, and some things are
> not clear to me.  For instance, it seems that the features of js2-mode
> and flycheck overlap (I don't use either yet): does it make sense to use
> them both?  What are the auto-completion options (besides plain vanilla
> Emacs or things like ivy/helm/icicles and e.g. company)?  Any other
> hints?  (I guess I should probably look at skewer-mode; any others?)

Spacemacs' layer for javascript is a good starting reference:

https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs/blob/master/layers/%2Blang/javascript/packages.el#L12

While there may be some small overlap between js2-mode and flycheck
you'll most likely want them both: js2-mode gives you font lock and
indentation and potentially some syntax checking, but flycheck can hook
into a wide array of external tools that go beyond what js2-mode
provides.

Tern + company-tern appears to be the way to go for semantic
autocompletion, unless you're using Flow or Typescript in which case
those can also provide completion via their packages.

* Raspbian, Debian and Emacs/LaTeX repositories
@ 2016-04-30 10:19   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-04-30 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Speaking recently of LaTeX (well, Biblatex) and now
the ELPAs and MELPAs, I thought I'd tell you
I recently installed "Raspbian" on my 2014,
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B - made in the UK, by the way,
where else?

Anyway Raspbian is another distro based on Debian, and
you probably haven't been this surprised since you
heard the Pope is Catholic, but this time it actually
makes some sense, since the R-Pi is another piece of
hardware altogether, and this benefits from some
special stunts, with the distro, but also with the
software, e.g. the omxplayer which is optimized to
play media and so.

Now, after installing TeX Live, I compiled a LaTeX
document and as expected, it asked for several .sty
files with extentions and all kinds of stuff that
wasn't there, despite TeX Live already a huge thing.

What was unexpected tho was the program I had used on
my Debian, tlmgr (TeX Live Manager?) - that program
wasn't in the repositories, so I'd to track the files
one by one - this sure wasn't easy, but with
apt-file(1), I bagged it.

The reason for this castling is supposedly the
increased control of software that the distro people
are exercising. Now everyone should know LaTeX is
a HUGE world of software. Also LaTeX people are often
more gentle and appreciative, and much less combative
than the typical Lisp or C programmer...

One has to wonder, how this plays out with the
Emacs Lisp repositories, as 1) there is now way they
can ever bring all that in, and 2) there has already
been conflicts between the GNU and Debian projects
over much minor issues.

So my bet is, nothing will happen!

@ 2016-05-01  7:13   ` Sayth Renshaw
From: Sayth Renshaw @ 2016-05-01  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I would second the spaceemacs recommendation as a starting point.

For typescript you can use tide.
https://github.com/ananthakumaran/tide

However if you want it minimal then nsw mode and the company backend is a good start.

Sayth