all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* flyspell without a mouse
@ 2005-11-29  0:23 Shug Boabby
       [not found] ` <mailman.17132.1133226687.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Shug Boabby @ 2005-11-29  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

using Emacs without a pointing device, I am finding it impossible to
add a word to the dictionary in flyspell. Does anyone know of a
function to do this? The obvious flyspell-word requires the mouse (not
the cursor!) to be over the word in question.

* Re: flyspell without a mouse
@ 2005-11-29  0:31 ` Björn Lindström
       [not found] ` <mailman.17132.1133226687.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Björn Lindström @ 2005-11-29  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Shug Boabby" <Shug.Boabby@gmail.com> writes:

> using Emacs without a pointing device, I am finding it impossible to
> add a word to the dictionary in flyspell. Does anyone know of a
> function to do this? The obvious flyspell-word requires the mouse (not
> the cursor!) to be over the word in question.

You do just use the regular ispell.el binding for this. Press M-$ and
follow the instructions in the echo area.

* Re: flyspell without a mouse
       [not found] ` <mailman.17132.1133226687.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-11-29  1:39   ` Shug Boabby
From: Shug Boabby @ 2005-11-29  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

M-$, that'll be M-S-4 on my keyboard... "take screenshot" on Mac OS X.

drat :-/

cheers though, a little googling led me to the function it is bound to
"ispell-word" and it eventually (after a lot of user interaction) lets
me add a word to the dictionary. an "add to dictionary" function would
be handy, though probably dangerous to actually keybind to anything.

* Re: flyspell without a mouse
@ 2005-11-29  4:57     ` rgb
From: rgb @ 2005-11-29  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shug Boabby wrote:
> M-$, that'll be M-S-4 on my keyboard... "take screenshot" on Mac OS X.
>
> drat :-/
>
> cheers though, a little googling led me to the function it is bound to
> "ispell-word" and it eventually (after a lot of user interaction) lets
> me add a word to the dictionary. an "add to dictionary" function would
> be handy, though probably dangerous to actually keybind to anything.

It should only be 1 extra keystroke to add a word that isn't misspelled

to your dictionary.   If you remapped ispell-word to C-S-s then

C-S-s a

will add a word.

* Re: flyspell without a mouse
@ 2005-11-29 15:34       ` Shug Boabby
From: Shug Boabby @ 2005-11-29 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

then enter to confirm

* Re: flyspell without a mouse
@ 2005-11-30 18:03     ` Edward O'Connor
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2005-11-30 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> M-$, that'll be M-S-4 on my keyboard... "take screenshot" on Mac OS X.
>
> drat :-/

When I first started using OS X, that was one of the first system
keybindings I disabled, precisely because the Emacs binding of it is so
ingrained in my fingers.

Ted

--
Edward O'Connor
hober0@gmail.com

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.