all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* collaborative editing in emacs on macos
@ 2019-04-16  6:43 Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2019-04-16  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm going through some fun (?) C code with my 12 years old daughter and I'd love to be able to have her work on her machine (macOS 10.13 with emacs MASTER) while being able to share things with her from my machine (same emacs, on macOS 10.14)

Is there an orthodox way to do that ?

Jean-Christophe Helary

* Re: collaborative editing in emacs on macos
@ 2019-04-16  7:39 ` Paul W. Rankin
From: Paul W. Rankin @ 2019-04-16  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019, at 4:45 PM, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
> I'm going through some fun (?) C code with my 12 years old daughter and I'd love to be able to have her work on her machine (macOS 10.13 with emacs MASTER) while being able to share things with her from my machine (same emacs, on macOS 10.14)
>
> Is there an orthodox way to do that ?

There is Floobits [1] but I don't think it works as well as just running Emacs on one machine and ssh'ing in from the other.

[1] https://floobits.com/

* Re: collaborative editing in emacs on macos
@ 2019-04-16  7:44   ` Paul W. Rankin
From: Paul W. Rankin @ 2019-04-16  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> There is Floobits [1] but I don't think it works as well as just running Emacs on one machine and ssh'ing in from the other.

p.s. https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Emacs-Server.html

* Re: collaborative editing in emacs on macos
@ 2019-04-16  8:09   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2019-04-16  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thank you Paul.

> On Apr 16, 2019, at 16:39, Paul W. Rankin <hello@paulwrankin.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, 16 Apr 2019, at 4:45 PM, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>> I'm going through some fun (?) C code with my 12 years old daughter and I'd love to be able to have her work on her machine (macOS 10.13 with emacs MASTER) while being able to share things with her from my machine (same emacs, on macOS 10.14)
>>
>> Is there an orthodox way to do that ?
>
> There is Floobits [1] but I don't think it works as well as just running Emacs on one machine and ssh'ing in from the other.

So I'd ssh in from my machine, and would be able to edit a file she's working on ?

> [1] https://floobits.com/

I'll check it.

@ 2019-04-16 11:29   ` Noam Postavsky
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2019-04-16 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 at 03:40, Paul W. Rankin <hello@paulwrankin.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Apr 2019, at 4:45 PM, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
> > I'm going through some fun (?) C code with my 12 years old daughter and I'd love to be able to have her work on her machine (macOS 10.13 with emacs MASTER) while being able to share things with her from my machine (same emacs, on macOS 10.14)
> >
> > Is there an orthodox way to do that ?
>
> There is Floobits [1] but I don't think it works as well as just running Emacs on one machine and ssh'ing in from the other.
>
> [1] https://floobits.com/

There is also rudel in GNU ELPA, though it's not maintained very well.
Its server runs from Emacs, so you don't have to sign up on any
website, but it might mean you need some adjustments to your firewall.

* Re: collaborative editing in emacs on macos
@ 2019-04-16 12:05     ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2019-04-16 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you Noam. I'll try that too.

Jean-Christophe

@ 2019-04-17  2:04       ` Paul W. Rankin
From: Paul W. Rankin @ 2019-04-17  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is almost certainly the easiest way: https://tmate.io/

I think it would be great if there was an editor-agnostic collaboration protocol that used IRC maybe via CTCP. I know Emacs divides buffer changes into chunks somehow to make undo more intuitive. Maybe these could be sent as diffs and instantly applied to collaborators' buffers.

--
https://www.paulwrankin.com

* Re: collaborative editing in emacs on macos
@ 2019-04-17  3:23         ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2019-04-17  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Apr 17, 2019, at 11:04, Paul W. Rankin <hello@paulwrankin.com> wrote:
>
> This is almost certainly the easiest way: https://tmate.io/ <https://tmate.io/>
>
> I think it would be great if there was an editor-agnostic collaboration protocol that used IRC maybe via CTCP. I know Emacs divides buffer changes into chunks somehow to make undo more intuitive. Maybe these could be sent as diffs and instantly applied to collaborators' buffers.

There is one. MIT license since octobre 2018:
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SubEthaEditProtocol

@ 2019-04-18  4:47           ` Paul W. Rankin
From: Paul W. Rankin @ 2019-04-18  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 17 2019, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
> There is one. MIT license since octobre 2018:
> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SubEthaEditProtocol

To me this is *waaaaaaay* too complicated. I don't know how I'd
pronounce SubEthaEdit (and needed to double-check how to spell it) so
it'd be a rocky start to asking someone to collaborate with it.

I think collaboration needs to be as easy as: "Let's just collaborate
over email."

So "Let's just collaborate over IRC" seems like a low enough barrier to
entry, and from my noobish mind, sending short diffs via IRC seems
pretty tenable... the a/b file header stuff could be omitted, since
there would be only a single collaboration file, and this value would be
stored in a variable. Ideally this would occur within an IRC CTCP so you
could chat while also seeing the diffs fly back and forth in real time
(with some sort of prefix so the client program could read & apply
them).

Pie is sky of course...

--
https://www.paulwrankin.com

* Re: collaborative editing in emacs on macos
@ 2019-04-18  7:20             ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2019-04-18  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Apr 18, 2019, at 13:47, Paul W. Rankin <hello@paulwrankin.com> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Apr 17 2019, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>> There is one. MIT license since octobre 2018:
>> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SubEthaEditProtocol
>
> To me this is *waaaaaaay* too complicated. I don't know how I'd pronounce SubEthaEdit (and needed to double-check how to spell it) so it'd be a rocky start to asking someone to collaborate with it.

That's the protocol. The implementation is transparent to the user. SubEthaEdit was the first mac software to implement easy to use collaboration. It was commercial software but eventually was freed last year I think and they also documented the protocol.

> I think collaboration needs to be as easy as: "Let's just collaborate over email."

That was even simpler than that :)

> Pie is sky of course...

If a few guys in Germany made it 10 years ago, I have no doubt the Emacs team can do it :)

But I'll try the other solutions proposed in this thread meanwhile :)

@ 2019-04-18 21:25 ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2019-04-18 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jean-Christophe Helary <brandelune@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm going through some fun (?) C code with my 12 years old daughter
> and I'd love to be able to have her work on her machine (macOS 10.13
> with emacs MASTER) while being able to share things with her from my
> machine (same emacs, on macOS 10.14)
>
> Is there an orthodox way to do that ?

Depending on what you mean by collaborative editing, I used to do this
by simply screen sharing with VNC. It's "collaborative editing" in the
pair programming sense rather than in the "you work on one end of the
file, and I will work on the other".

Phil

* Re: collaborative editing in emacs on macos
@ 2019-04-19  1:12   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2019-04-19  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> On Apr 19, 2019, at 6:25, Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> wrote:
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary <brandelune@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm going through some fun (?) C code with my 12 years old daughter
>> and I'd love to be able to have her work on her machine (macOS 10.13
>> with emacs MASTER) while being able to share things with her from my
>> machine (same emacs, on macOS 10.14)
>>
>> Is there an orthodox way to do that ?
>
> Depending on what you mean by collaborative editing,

I mean this:
https://subethaedit.net

Or something like
https://etherpad.org
but within emacs

@ 2019-04-19 20:51 ` Jordan Wilson
From: Jordan Wilson @ 2019-04-19 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Rudel is the closest I've found to what you've described
   http://rudel.sourceforge.net/

it's available from GNU ELPA.
--
Jordan Wilson
    Sent from Gnus v5.13, GNU Emacs 26.2

* Re: collaborative editing in emacs on macos
@ 2019-04-26  7:29               ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2019-04-26  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean-Christophe Helary <brandelune@gmail.com> writes:

>> Pie is sky of course...
>
> If a few guys in Germany made it 10 years ago, I have no doubt the
> Emacs team can do it :)

A whiteboard or chalkboard on the cloud addressable as an IPFS object
editable by as many as you like Emacs sessions on invite is the way.

--
© 2019 Van L
gpg using EEF2 37E9 3840 0D5D 9183  251E 9830 384E 9683 B835

* Re: collaborative editing in emacs on macos
@ 2019-04-29  5:48                 ` Paul W. Rankin
From: Paul W. Rankin @ 2019-04-29  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Van L; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Apr 26 2019, Van L. wrote:
> A whiteboard or chalkboard on the cloud addressable as an IPFS object
> editable by as many as you like Emacs sessions on invite is the way.

A great name for it would be scratch.space :)

--
https://www.paulwrankin.com

* Re: collaborative editing in emacs on macos
@ 2019-04-29  7:42                   ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2019-04-29  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul W. Rankin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> On 29 Apr 2019, at 15:48, Paul W. Rankin <hello@paulwrankin.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Apr 26 2019, Van L. wrote:
>> A whiteboard or chalkboard on the cloud addressable as an IPFS object
>> editable by as many as you like Emacs sessions on invite is the way.
>
> A great name for it would be scratch.space :)

How about emacs.zone ;-)
3 less char to type