all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Unicode progress tooltip?
@ 2020-10-11 16:20 Skip Montanaro
From: Skip Montanaro @ 2020-10-11 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help GNU Emacs

I have a US layout keyboard. I occasionally need to type non-ASCII stuff
like ¾, ₤ or é. I've now memorized a few Compose key sequences (environment
is Ubuntu 20.04), but golly gee, there are a lot of them! I noticed that
when I mash down on the Compose key a little tooltip pops up

[image: Screenshot from 2020-10-11 10-59-29.png]

and is extended as more keys are pressed. Once a complete sequence is
entered, the appropriate glyph is rendered and the tooltip dismissed. This
is very nice.

Still, I wonder... Is there a way to get Emacs to display all the
possibilities for the next key and the resulting glyph? This would be sort
of like the long press over a key on my Android phone which brings up a
pop-up menu showing the various related characters you can select. For
example, after entering Compose L, it appears the "next set" only contains
eight characters (according to my computer's Compose file). Is there some
package which can parse the Compose file and present the next characters
and potentially the final possible glyphs? I poked around in the package
list on my Emacs install (v 26.3). None of the packages matching the search
string "unicode" seemed like what I was looking for.

Thanks,

Skip

[-- Attachment #2: Screenshot from 2020-10-11 10-59-29.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 2633 bytes --]

* Re: Unicode progress tooltip?
@ 2020-10-11 16:45 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-10-11 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 11:20:48 -0500
>
> I have a US layout keyboard. I occasionally need to type non-ASCII stuff
> like ¾, ₤ or é. I've now memorized a few Compose key sequences (environment
> is Ubuntu 20.04), but golly gee, there are a lot of them! I noticed that
> when I mash down on the Compose key a little tooltip pops up
>
> [image: Screenshot from 2020-10-11 10-59-29.png]
>
> and is extended as more keys are pressed. Once a complete sequence is
> entered, the appropriate glyph is rendered and the tooltip dismissed. This
> is very nice.
>
> Still, I wonder... Is there a way to get Emacs to display all the
> possibilities for the next key and the resulting glyph? This would be sort
> of like the long press over a key on my Android phone which brings up a
> pop-up menu showing the various related characters you can select. For
> example, after entering Compose L, it appears the "next set" only contains
> eight characters (according to my computer's Compose file). Is there some
> package which can parse the Compose file and present the next characters
> and potentially the final possible glyphs? I poked around in the package
> list on my Emacs install (v 26.3). None of the packages matching the search
> string "unicode" seemed like what I was looking for.

Try

  C-u C-\ TeX RET

and then

  C-h C-\ RET

to see the combinations.

* Re: Unicode progress tooltip?
@ 2020-10-11 16:52 ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2020-10-11 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Skip Montanaro; +Cc: Help GNU Emacs

On Sun, Oct 11 2020, Skip Montanaro wrote:

> I have a US layout keyboard. I occasionally need to type non-ASCII stuff
> like ¾, ₤ or é. I've now memorized a few Compose key sequences (environment
> is Ubuntu 20.04), but golly gee, there are a lot of them! I noticed that
> when I mash down on the Compose key a little tooltip pops up
>
> [image: Screenshot from 2020-10-11 10-59-29.png]
>
> and is extended as more keys are pressed. Once a complete sequence is
> entered, the appropriate glyph is rendered and the tooltip dismissed. This
> is very nice.

You need two things:

(1) Install which-key package, then
(2) Press ‘C-x 8’ (then wait for a second)

In step (2) if you press RET instead of waiting then you can enter
UNICODE CHARACTER NAME also.

The characters you have entered are unicode - FRACTION THREE QUARTER,
POUND SIGN, LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH ACUTE

* Re: Unicode progress tooltip?
@ 2020-10-11 17:33   ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2020-10-11 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Jangid, Skip Montanaro; +Cc: Help GNU Emacs

Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> writes:

> You need two things:
>
> (1) Install which-key package, then
> (2) Press ‘C-x 8’ (then wait for a second)

Well, as much as I love which-key, installing it is not strictly
required.  You can just say `C-x 8 C-h' to see all the bindings.

* Re: Unicode progress tooltip?
@ 2020-10-11 19:24 ` Skip Montanaro
From: Skip Montanaro @ 2020-10-11 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help GNU Emacs

Thanks for the various suggestions, all helpful. Can someone clue me in to
what's is responsible for the little tooltip shown in my original message?

[image: Screenshot from 2020-10-11 10-59-29.png]

I can't execute something like C-h k Compose L, so I assume it's something
X.org-ish, not Emacs-ish.

@ 2020-10-11 19:58   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2020-10-11 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Skip Montanaro, Help GNU Emacs

> Thanks for the various suggestions, all helpful. Can someone clue me in to
> what's is responsible for the little tooltip shown in my original message?
>
> [image: Screenshot from 2020-10-11 10-59-29.png]

I had no idea what it was.

Then I did `C-x 8 compos S-TAB', with `keysee.el' loaded,
and I saw this Unicode character as one completion
candidate: COMPOSITION SYMBOL

I picked that char and got the symbol/char that your
screenshot shows.  The `C-u C-x =' on it tells me:

Character code properties:
  name: COMPOSITION SYMBOL
  general-category: So (Symbol, Other)
  decomposition: (9092) ('⎄')

* Re: Unicode progress tooltip?
@ 2020-10-12  4:10   ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2020-10-12  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Oct 11 2020, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Try
>
>   C-u C-\ TeX RET

This (toggle-input-method) is much better when we have to type alot of
text. Nice. I didn't know about it.

I used to rely on operating system's interface for switching input
method. That is still useful when we have to work on multiple
applications. But then who cares about other applications. :p Now I can
portably type in multiple languages using just emacs.

Apart from this, (toggle-input-method), if I don't find mapping for any
character, then, as a last resort, I'll use (input-char).

* Re: Unicode progress tooltip?
@ 2020-10-12  4:24     ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2020-10-12  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: Skip Montanaro, Help GNU Emacs

On Sun, Oct 11 2020, Stefan Kangas wrote:

>> You need two things:
>>
>> (1) Install which-key package, then
>> (2) Press ‘C-x 8’ (then wait for a second)
>
> Well, as much as I love which-key, installing it is not strictly
> required.  You can just say `C-x 8 C-h' to see all the bindings.

Wow! I have disabled which-key now. I try to use as much built-in
features as possible. Not that I hate packages. But that the builtin
ones are really well thoughtout. I didn't know that we can use ‘C-h’
after typing a command sequence partially.

In a new post, I'll share my idea, and probably we all discuss how we
can improve in this area by slightly adjusting ‘help’ during idle
time. We have borrowed in 27.1 from ido-mode. We can do so to display
help after some idle timeout.

* Re: Unicode progress tooltip?
@ 2020-10-12 10:13   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2020-10-12 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Skip Montanaro; +Cc: Help GNU Emacs

    Pankaj> On Sun, Oct 11 2020, Skip Montanaro wrote:
    >> I have a US layout keyboard. I occasionally need to type non-ASCII stuff
    >> like ¾, ₤ or é. I've now memorized a few Compose key sequences (environment
    >> is Ubuntu 20.04), but golly gee, there are a lot of them! I noticed that
    >> when I mash down on the Compose key a little tooltip pops up
    >>
    >> [image: Screenshot from 2020-10-11 10-59-29.png]
    >>
    >> and is extended as more keys are pressed. Once a complete sequence is
    >> entered, the appropriate glyph is rendered and the tooltip dismissed. This
    >> is very nice.

    Pankaj> You need two things:

    Pankaj> (1) Install which-key package, then
    Pankaj> (2) Press ‘C-x 8’ (then wait for a second)

    Pankaj> In step (2) if you press RET instead of waiting then you can enter
    Pankaj> UNICODE CHARACTER NAME also.

    Pankaj> The characters you have entered are unicode - FRACTION THREE QUARTER,
    Pankaj> POUND SIGN, LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH ACUTE

Or you can search through the available names by prepending a '*'. Try

C-x 8 RET *FRACTION TAB TAB

Robert

* Re: Unicode progress tooltip?
@ 2020-10-13  5:38     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-10-13  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: Skip Montanaro, Help GNU Emacs

* Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> [2020-10-12 13:18]:

>     Pankaj> On Sun, Oct 11 2020, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>     >> I have a US layout keyboard. I occasionally need to type non-ASCII stuff
>     >> like ¾, ₤ or é. I've now memorized a few Compose key sequences (environment
>     >> is Ubuntu 20.04), but golly gee, there are a lot of them! I noticed that
>     >> when I mash down on the Compose key a little tooltip pops up
>     >>
>     >> [image: Screenshot from 2020-10-11 10-59-29.png]
>     >>
>     >> and is extended as more keys are pressed. Once a complete sequence is
>     >> entered, the appropriate glyph is rendered and the tooltip dismissed. This
>     >> is very nice.
>
>     Pankaj> You need two things:
>
>     Pankaj> (1) Install which-key package, then
>     Pankaj> (2) Press ‘C-x 8’ (then wait for a second)
>
>     Pankaj> In step (2) if you press RET instead of waiting then you can enter
>     Pankaj> UNICODE CHARACTER NAME also.
>
>     Pankaj> The characters you have entered are unicode - FRACTION THREE QUARTER,
>     Pankaj> POUND SIGN, LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH ACUTE
>
> Or you can search through the available names by prepending a '*'. Try
>
> C-x 8 RET *FRACTION TAB TAB

It is good using there some completion like ido, helm, etc.

There is one sign named HEXAGRAM FOR PROGRESS ䷢ but I do not see it
with DejaVu Sans Mono.

Jean

* Re: Unicode progress tooltip?
@ 2020-10-13 11:38   ` Skip Montanaro
From: Skip Montanaro @ 2020-10-13 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help GNU Emacs

It dawned on me yesterday that I might well be an idiot (not for the first
time). But now I'm even more confused about the source of the tooltip.
Picking a key sequence, say COMPOSE L =, allows me to insert ₤ into
whatever I'm editing, whether it's Emacs, this Gmail composition window, or
a LibreOffice document. It seems X.org must be the source of the magic,
"composing" the relevant character out of a sequence of two or more
keypresses which begin with COMPOSE. However... I only see the tooltip when
composing a multi-keypress character in Emacs. If X.org is ultimately the
source of the Unicode code point, how would Emacs even see the keystrokes
which are consumed by X.org so it could generate a tooltip? If Emacs isn't
doing this, X.org is the most likely candidate. That leaves me to wonder
why I never see it in those other applications. Maybe there's the ability
within Xlib to suppress or enable it?

Skip

* Re: Unicode progress tooltip?
@ 2020-10-13 14:17     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-10-13 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Or you can search through the available names by prepending a '*'. Try
> C-x 8 RET *FRACTION TAB TAB

Note that this is needed for "fraction" only because there are matches
with the "fraction" prefix.  If you do `C-x 8 RET fifth TAB TAB` you'll
already get the list of matches with have `fifth` as a substring.

This is because of `completion-category-defaults` which says:

    (unicode-name (styles basic substring))

so it first tries `basic` completion, and if that doesn't find anything
then it uses `substring` completion (and if that fails, it falls back
to the default which includes `partial-completion`).