all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Font woes on OS X
@ 2002-10-15 13:49 Michael Hudson
From: Michael Hudson @ 2002-10-15 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I use customize-face to set the default face to

-apple-vt100-medium-r-normal--12-116-75-75-m-0-mac-roman

everything looks nice.  Unfortunately, when I restart emacs something
comes along *after* my .emacs is processed and changes the font-height
to 135, which looks atrocious.

Help?  I mean, I don't restart Emacs all that often, but...

This is on Mac OS X, built from CVS yesterday with Carbon support.

Cheers,
M.

--
  You owe The Oracle a TV with an 'intelligence' control - I've
  tried 'brightness' but that didn't work.

* Re: Font woes on OS X
@ 2002-10-22 12:23 ` Michael Hudson
From: Michael Hudson @ 2002-10-22 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Hudson <mwh@python.net> writes:

> If I use customize-face to set the default face to
>
> -apple-vt100-medium-r-normal--12-116-75-75-m-0-mac-roman
>
> everything looks nice.  Unfortunately, when I restart emacs something
> comes along *after* my .emacs is processed and changes the font-height
> to 135, which looks atrocious.

This has gone away following a reboot.  Wierd.  I thought I'd gotten
away from the reboot being the cure for all ills...

Cheers,
M.

--
  Indeed, when I design my killer language, the identifiers "foo" and
  "bar" will be reserved words, never used, and not even mentioned in

* Re: Font woes on OS X
@ 2002-10-22 14:43   ` Rodney Sparapani
From: Rodney Sparapani @ 2002-10-22 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

M:

Actually, most things in OS X can be fixed by logging off and logging
back on.  It's a pain, but much quicker than rebooting.  I have to do
the same thing on Solaris when I make changes to CDE (you can use xrdb,
but unless you have the commands memorized, logging is quicker).

--
Rodney Sparapani              Medical College of Wisconsin
Sr. Biostatistician           Patient Care & Outcomes Research

* Re: Font woes on OS X
@ 2002-10-22 15:54     ` ken
From: ken @ 2002-10-22 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Isn't it possible just to reload the font server?  I.e.,

/etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart

???
ken

--
AMD crashes?  See http://cleveland.lug.net/~ken/amd-problem/.

Spake Rodney Sparapani at 09:43 (UTC-0500) on Tue, 22 Oct 2002:

= M:
=

@ 2002-10-22 16:16     ` Michael Hudson
From: Michael Hudson @ 2002-10-22 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa@mcw.edu> writes:

> Actually, most things in OS X can be fixed by logging off and logging
> back on.

I guessed that would be the case, but I needed to reboot anyway after
an upgrade.  I don't log out very much more often than I reboot...

Cheers,
M.

--
  In the 1950s and 60s there was a regular brain drain of young
  Australians from the cities to London, but it was because of