all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* doc-view zoom level
@ 2009-01-27 16:47 Nurullah Akkaya
From: Nurullah Akkaya @ 2009-01-27 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am trying to read pdf's using doc-view. It is working great but i can not
figure out how to zoom in on the document.
i want to create the png's with bigger fonts. if it is possible. i tried
different -r options as stated in the documentation without any luck.
I seem to get the same set of png's.

Emacs 23.0.60.1 on Mac Os X 10.4

thanks.
Nurullah.

* Re: doc-view zoom level
@ 2009-01-28  8:00 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-01-28  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nurullah Akkaya <nurullah.akkaya@blooby.com> writes:

Hi Nurullah,

> I am trying to read pdf's using doc-view. It is working great

I'm happy to hear that!

> but i can not figure out how to zoom in on the document.

Normally you just have to hit `+' to zoom in and `-' to zoom out.  This
will modify the -r parameter (`doc-view-resolution') and reconvert the
images.

> i want to create the png's with bigger fonts. if it is possible. i
> tried different -r options as stated in the documentation without any
> luck.

Hm, strange.  Could you please try the conversion in a shell?  I suspect
that your GhostScript somehow ignores the -r option.  The command is:

  $ gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=png16m -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dBATCH \
       -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 -dQUIET -r100 -sOutputFile=test.png \
       my-doc.pdf

Please try that with different -r values, maybe 50 and 150 and see if
the resolutions of the images differ or if gs prints some helpful
messages.

I use GPL Ghostscript 8.63 here which works just fine.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
VI VI VI - The Roman Number Of The Beast

* Re: doc-view zoom level
@ 2009-01-28  9:38   ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2009-01-28  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Nurullah Akkaya <nurullah.akkaya@blooby.com> writes:
>> but i can not figure out how to zoom in on the document.
>
> Normally you just have to hit `+' to zoom in and `-' to zoom out.  This
> will modify the -r parameter (`doc-view-resolution') and reconvert the
> images.

I can confirm that zooming does not work on Mac OS X when configured
with the --with-ns switch (i.e. using the native Cocoa API). I have the
same Emacs checkout also compiled for X11 on Mac OS X, and with this one
everything works without problems.

>> i want to create the png's with bigger fonts. if it is possible. i
>> tried different -r options as stated in the documentation without any
>> luck.
>
> Hm, strange.  Could you please try the conversion in a shell?  I suspect
> that your GhostScript somehow ignores the -r option.

No, that doesn't seem to be it. With the Cocoa engine, the images do get
more sharper/blurrier depending on the resolution, but their *size*
doesn't change. I'll try to investigate this further.

-David

* Re: doc-view zoom level
@ 2009-01-28 10:10     ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2009-01-28 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:
> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>> Nurullah Akkaya <nurullah.akkaya@blooby.com> writes:
>>> but i can not figure out how to zoom in on the document.
>>
>> Normally you just have to hit `+' to zoom in and `-' to zoom out.  This
>> will modify the -r parameter (`doc-view-resolution') and reconvert the
>> images.
>
> I can confirm that zooming does not work on Mac OS X when configured
> with the --with-ns switch (i.e. using the native Cocoa API). I have the
> same Emacs checkout also compiled for X11 on Mac OS X, and with this one
> everything works without problems.
>
>>> i want to create the png's with bigger fonts. if it is possible. i
>>> tried different -r options as stated in the documentation without any
>>> luck.
>>
>> Hm, strange.  Could you please try the conversion in a shell?  I suspect
>> that your GhostScript somehow ignores the -r option.
>
> No, that doesn't seem to be it. With the Cocoa engine, the images do get
> more sharper/blurrier depending on the resolution, but their *size*
> doesn't change. I'll try to investigate this further.

It seems to be a bug in Emacs/NS when determining image sizes. The
following

(image-size (create-image "/Users/david/test.png" 'png) t)

always returns (612 . 792) on my system, regardless of the actual size.

Can other people confirm this with Emacs 23 on Mac OS X, configured with
--with-ns? (With X11 on Mac OS X, everything seems to work OK.)

-David

* Re: doc-view zoom level
@ 2009-01-28 15:58       ` Nurullah Akkaya
From: Nurullah Akkaya @ 2009-01-28 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)