all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs fails to create frame at boot of OSX
@ 2014-10-26 10:25 Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2014-10-26 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I am running Emacs [GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS
apple-appkit-1265.21) of 2014-10-21 on builder10-9.porkrind.org] on OSX
[OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)].

When I boot my iMAC all apps that were running at the previous shutdown
are restarted by OSX. So Emacs is also started, but fails to create its
frame. It just hangs without frame. I have to kill it and restart
it. That always succeeds.

This problem is not limited to Emacs 24.4 nor to OSX 10.9.5. It also
occurred from time to time with earlier versions of Emacs and/or
OSX. But now it happens at every boot. I always have to kill Emacs and
restart it.

I realise that this is the kind of hickup that is very hard to
diagnose. I just wonder whether I am the only user suffering from
this. I hope others have been there, and somehow solved it so that I
could benefit from their experience.

Guido

--
It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech.
		-- Mark Twain

* Re: Emacs fails to create frame at boot of OSX
@ 2014-10-26 11:56 ` Mark Simpson
From: Mark Simpson @ 2014-10-26 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Guido> When I boot my iMAC all apps that were running at the
    Guido> previous shutdown are restarted by OSX. So Emacs is also
    Guido> started, but fails to create its frame. It just hangs without
    Guido> frame. I have to kill it and restart it. That always
    Guido> succeeds.

Guido -

You are not the only person with this problem - I have it too. Also it
sometimes happens after simply closing Emacs and trying to restart it,
without rebooting the machine.

I have been too lazy to investigate or even post here - so thank you for
doing so.

Ciao
Mark

* Re: Emacs fails to create frame at boot of OSX
@ 2014-11-03  9:44   ` Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2014-11-03  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Mark Simpson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Marc

On 26 October 2014 12:56, Mark Simpson <verdammelt@gmail.com> wrote:

> guivho@gmail.com> said:
>
>     Guido> When I boot my iMAC all apps that were running at the
>     Guido> previous shutdown are restarted by OSX. So Emacs is also
>     Guido> started, but fails to create its frame. It just hangs without
>     Guido> frame. I have to kill it and restart it. That always
>     Guido> succeeds.
>
> Guido -
>
> You are not the only person with this problem - I have it too. Also it
> sometimes happens after simply closing Emacs and trying to restart it,

​
Fortunately this is utterly rare here, but then, I seldom close Emacs :)
​

> without rebooting the machine.

​Just describing my current workaround, maybe it can help people suffering
from this problem.

Moved /usr/bin/emacs to /usr/bin/emacs_OSX and created a /usr/bin/emacs
script with following one-liner:
      open -a /Applications/Emacs.app

Used Automator to create a 'Utilities, Runs Shell Script' Application to
run following script:
    sleep 60 # wait long enough to ensure the frozen emacs is started
    pids=`/bin/ps -axo pid,command | grep [E]macs | awk '{ print $1 }' | tr
'\n' ' '`
    if [ "no$pids" != "no" ]; then
        kill -KILL $pids
    fi
    /usr/bin/emacs
Saved this as killAndRestartTheGodOfEditors.app and added it to my Login
Items.
(Note: having `open -a /Applications/Emacs.app` directly in the script
rather than via my `/usr/bin/emacs` to launch Emacs fails for some reason
that I have not yet investigated!)

So now the boot-time emacs (which lately always hangs) is killed off and a
new emacs is started. It's not ideal, but at least I've got a working emacs
when my iMac finishes booting. And I don't mind the 1 minute wait to ensure
it doesn't try to kill a not yet running emacs: I usually power on the Mac
and then only I brew some coffee, go get the newspaper etc etc while it's
booting anyhow.

​Hope this helps,

Guido​

@ 2015-08-22 13:03     ` Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2015-08-22 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Mark Simpson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

This problem still occurs, in fact just now after booting with the freshly
installed OSX 10.10.5 and
GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.21) of
2015-04-10 on builder10-9.porkrind.org

Anybody?