all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#3554: Emacsclient over SSH switches behavior of C-backspace and C-delete
@ 2009-06-13 18:06 Nobuko Three
From: Nobuko Three @ 2009-06-13 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bug-gnu-emacs

* Short description

Emacsclient that is X-forward over SSH switches bindings for C-backspace and
C-delete.

* How to reproduce the bug

First, run Emacs with -Q option on.

$ emacs -Q &

Then evaluate the following to start server:

(require 'server)
(server-start)

Now ssh into localhost

$ ssh -X localhost

And start an emacsclient frame by running the following command from the ssh
session.

$ emacsclient -c &

Try C-backspace (originally bound to backward-kill-word) and C-delete
(originally, kill-word), you'll see their behavior is switched.

When I start emacs (rather than emacsclient -c) from the ssh session,
there's no problem.
When I run emacsclient -c without involving an ssh session, there's no
problem either.

* Workarounds

1. Stick to M-DEL and M-d, which aren't affected.

* System

Emacs (version)
"GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.3)
 of 2008-10-14 on rothera, modified by Debian"

Ubuntu 8.10

* bug#3554: Emacsclient over SSH switches behavior of C-backspace and C-delete
@ 2016-05-17 18:08 ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2016-05-17 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nobuko Three; +Cc: 3554

Nobuko Three <nbko3@yahoo.com> writes:

> * Short description
>
> Emacsclient that is X-forward over SSH switches bindings for C-backspace and
> C-delete.
>

> * How to reproduce the bug
>
> First, run Emacs with -Q option on.
>
> $ emacs -Q &
>
> Then evaluate the following to start server:
>
> (require 'server)
> (server-start)
>
> Now ssh into localhost
>
> $ ssh -X localhost
>
> And start an emacsclient frame by running the following command from the ssh
> session.
>
> $ emacsclient -c &
>
> Try C-backspace (originally bound to backward-kill-word) and C-delete
> (originally, kill-word), you'll see their behavior is switched.

Hi, sorry it's taken so long for someone to respond to your bug report.
I can't reproduce this by sshing into a remote PC, and can't currently
check it over localhost.

Are you able to confirm whether you're still seeing this behaviour?
--
Alan Third

* bug#3554: Emacsclient over SSH switches behavior of C-backspace and C-delete
@ 2016-09-10 21:25   ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2016-09-10 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nobuko Three; +Cc: 3554-done

Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> writes:

> Hi, sorry it's taken so long for someone to respond to your bug report.
> I can't reproduce this by sshing into a remote PC, and can't currently
> check it over localhost.
>
> Are you able to confirm whether you're still seeing this behaviour?

As it's been over 16 weeks with no response, I'm going to close this
bug. If you're still seeing it let us know.
--
Alan Third