all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 22 + tramp 2.0.55: password caching problem/question.
@ 2008-03-26 12:56 Michal
From: Michal @ 2008-03-26 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo Group Members

in my ~/.emacs I set:

(setq password-cache-expiry nil)

I visit remote folder with:
/scp:root@10.102.12.89:/etc

then emacs asks for password.

Since then everytime, when I visit remote directories I do not have to reenter password, but when I try to visit any remote regular file, it ALWAYS asks me for password.

Also from "TRAMP version 2.0.55 User Manual" info manual I can read:

   Implementation Note: password caching is based on the package
password.el in No Gnus.  For the time being, it is activated only when
this package is seen in the `load-path' while loading TRAMP.  It will
be activated mandatory once No Gnus has found its way into GNU Emacs.

but I do not have password.el* file in my system.

C-h v gnus-version:
gnus-version is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
Its value is "Gnus v5.11"

Both gnus and tramp packages used by me are ones provided with emacs 22.

Did You experience such problems?

regards,
Michal

* Re: emacs 22 + tramp 2.0.55: password caching problem/question.
@ 2008-03-26 14:04 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2008-03-26 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michal <rabbit50@tenbit.pl> writes:

> Hallo Group Members

Hi,

> in my ~/.emacs I set:
>
> (setq password-cache-expiry nil)
>
> I visit remote folder with:
> /scp:root@10.102.12.89:/etc
>
> then emacs asks for password.
>
> Since then everytime, when I visit remote directories I do not have to reenter password, but when I try to visit any remote regular file, it ALWAYS asks me for password.

That is OK. Tramp keeps a permanent ssh connection for retrieving
information about files. So you have to enter the password only
once. For copying a file, it opens a new subprocess for the respective
scp command, that's why you are asked about the pasword again.

> Also from "TRAMP version 2.0.55 User Manual" info manual I can read:
>
>    Implementation Note: password caching is based on the package
> password.el in No Gnus.  For the time being, it is activated only when
> this package is seen in the `load-path' while loading TRAMP.  It will
> be activated mandatory once No Gnus has found its way into GNU Emacs.
>
> but I do not have password.el* file in my system.

This happened now with Emacs 23 (the development version of
Emacs). The file is renamed to password-cache.el.

> C-h v gnus-version:
> gnus-version is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
> Its value is "Gnus v5.11"

No idea whether this Gnus version carries password.el.

> Both gnus and tramp packages used by me are ones provided with emacs 22.
>
> Did You experience such problems?

I would recommend you ssh-agent. If it is running, you need to enter
the passphrase of your local identity only once.

> regards,
> Michal

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: emacs 22 + tramp 2.0.55: password caching problem/question.
@ 2008-03-26 14:13 ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2008-03-26 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michal <rabbit50@tenbit.pl> writes:

> Hallo Group Members
>
> in my ~/.emacs I set:
>
> (setq password-cache-expiry nil)
>
> I visit remote folder with:
> /scp:root@10.102.12.89:/etc
>
> then emacs asks for password.
>
> Since then everytime, when I visit remote directories I do not have to reenter password, but when I try to visit any remote regular file, it ALWAYS asks me for password.
>
> Also from "TRAMP version 2.0.55 User Manual" info manual I can read:
>
>    Implementation Note: password caching is based on the package
> password.el in No Gnus.  For the time being, it is activated only when
> this package is seen in the `load-path' while loading TRAMP.  It will
> be activated mandatory once No Gnus has found its way into GNU Emacs.
>

> but I do not have password.el* file in my system.
>
> C-h v gnus-version:
> gnus-version is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
> Its value is "Gnus v5.11"
>
> Both gnus and tramp packages used by me are ones provided with emacs 22.
>
> Did You experience such problems?
>
> regards,
> Michal

password.el is included in my version of tramp(2.1.12)
May be you should consider upgrading.
your version, the one given with emacs 22 is also very slow.
Outside of tramp, you can configure your ssh with keys and
ssh-agent/ssh-add, like that you have to enter your password
only one time at beginning of your session.

--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu

* Re: emacs 22 + tramp 2.0.55: password caching problem/question.
@ 2008-03-26 14:44   ` Michal
From: Michal @ 2008-03-26 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> password.el is included in my version of tramp(2.1.12)
> May be you should consider upgrading.
> your version, the one given with emacs 22 is also very slow.
> Outside of tramp, you can configure your ssh with keys and
> ssh-agent/ssh-add, like that you have to enter your password
> only one time at beginning of your session.

Hallo Thierry!

it did the job.

Thank You

@ 2008-03-27 15:06   ` Michal