all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can emacs pick proper coding system intelligently?
@ 2008-04-28  0:04 Scott Heftler
From: Scott Heftler @ 2008-04-28  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Yesterday I have a problem.  I would read a RMAIL-mode file saved via
`gnus-summary-save-in-rmail' and the ellipses would be escape-quoted
and display as \205.

I was told that I needed to find the file using windows-1252 as my
coding system.  Now the windows-1252 ellipses display nicely when I
run `universal-coding-system-argument' (C-x RET c windows-1252) before
finding the file.

You'd think that, when emacs encounters these \205s, it would KNOW to
pick windows-1252.  But it doesn't.  I put these in my init file to
help it along:

(prefer-coding-system 'windows-1252)
(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

This makes sure utf-8 is top pick, and windows-1252 is second.  This
did nothing.

Is there no way to AUTOMATE emacs' pick of coding system?  I thought
it chose coding systems intelligently, based on file contents?  Do I
really have to open a file, see escape-quoted characters, guess what
coding system I should use, close the file, and then reopen it using
`C-x RET c' in a trial-and-error fashion?

-- Scott

* Re: Can emacs pick proper coding system intelligently?
@ 2008-04-28  1:04 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2008-04-28  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <m2mynekfox.fsf@mac.com>,
 Scott Heftler <lovecraftian@mac.com> wrote:

> You'd think that, when emacs encounters these \205s, it would KNOW to
> pick windows-1252.

How would it know that.  \205 is not unique to that coding system, it
exists in many different coding systems.

Think of it like Paint By Numbers.  The coding system is the translation
from numbers to colors.  You can't just look at a picture, and know
which translation scheme to use just because it contains the number 10.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: Can emacs pick proper coding system intelligently?
@ 2008-04-28  2:40   ` Scott Heftler
From: Scott Heftler @ 2008-04-28  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Wait a minute!  I forgot to mention that, when the article was first
loaded from usenet, it looked perfect -- there WERE no escaped
characters.  Only after saving and then re-opening did these post-127
chars get escaped.  Why can't gnus/emacs save the RMAIL file with some
kind of "open-me-with-coding-system"-type info?
--
Scott Heftler
 psyche@mail.utexas.edu

* Re: Can emacs pick proper coding system intelligently?
@ 2008-04-28  3:20 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-04-28  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Scott Heftler <lovecraftian@mac.com>
> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 19:04:30 -0500
>
> Is there no way to AUTOMATE emacs' pick of coding system?  I thought
> it chose coding systems intelligently, based on file contents?

It does when it can.  Unfortunately, with 8-bit encodings, they are
too similar to distinguish between them reliably and efficiently.

However, if you have specific suggestions for improvements in this
area, please feel free to post them to emacs-devel@gnu.org.