all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GNU Elpa not reachable (possibly OT)
@ 2019-02-18 14:58 Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2019-02-18 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

The past few days I've been having trouble updating my packages,
which turns out to be caused by Emacs not being able to reach
<https://elpa.gnu.org>. The problem isn't that the server is down
(it isn't), but I'm not entirely sure what the problem is, so I
thought I'd post here, in case anyone can help, even though it may
not be an actual Emacs problem...

Trying to refresh my package list results in the following error:

error in process filter: Error retrieving:
https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/archive-contents (error http 400)

Funny thing is, I can paste that URI in the address bar of my
browser and the file loads just fine.

Looking at this reddit page:

https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/arnbhb/cant_reach_elpa_for_the_last_couple_of_days/

I tried the same thing as in one of the posts there, and indeed,
`nslookp elpa.gnu.org` gives me:

```
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   elpa.gnu.org
Address: 209.51.188.89
Name:   elpa.gnu.org
Address: 2001:470:142:5::89
```

and then `ping elpa.gnu.org` yields:

```
PING elpa.gnu.org(2001:470:142:5::89 (2001:470:142:5::89)) 56 data
bytes
From 2001:470:142::1 (2001:470:142::1) icmp_seq=1 Destination
unreachable: Address unreachable
```

Several IPv6 test sites tell me my IPv6 connectivity is fine,
except for one, which states that "Your router or firewall is
filtering ICMPv6 messages sent to your computer."

So I'm wondering if that may be the cause of the problem and if
yes, what can I do about it?

Thanks,

Joost

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: GNU Elpa not reachable (possibly OT)
@ 2019-02-18 16:19 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-02-18 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm>
> Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 15:58:19 +0100
>
> error in process filter: Error retrieving:
> https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/archive-contents (error http 400)
>
> Funny thing is, I can paste that URI in the address bar of my
> browser and the file loads just fine.
>
> Looking at this reddit page:
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/arnbhb/cant_reach_elpa_for_the_last_couple_of_days/
>
> I tried the same thing as in one of the posts there, and indeed,
> `nslookp elpa.gnu.org` gives me:
>

> ```
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:   elpa.gnu.org
> Address: 209.51.188.89
> Name:   elpa.gnu.org
> Address: 2001:470:142:5::89
> ```
>
> and then `ping elpa.gnu.org` yields:
>
> ```
> PING elpa.gnu.org(2001:470:142:5::89 (2001:470:142:5::89)) 56 data
> bytes
> >From 2001:470:142::1 (2001:470:142::1) icmp_seq=1 Destination
> unreachable: Address unreachable
> ```
>
> Several IPv6 test sites tell me my IPv6 connectivity is fine,
> except for one, which states that "Your router or firewall is
> filtering ICMPv6 messages sent to your computer."
>
> So I'm wondering if that may be the cause of the problem and if
> yes, what can I do about it?

Write to savannah-hackers-public@gnu.org with these details.

* Re: GNU Elpa not reachable (possibly OT)
@ 2019-02-18 17:08 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2019-02-18 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> The past few days I've been having trouble updating my packages, which
> turns out to be caused by Emacs not being able to reach
> <https://elpa.gnu.org>. The problem isn't that the server is down (it
> isn't), but I'm not entirely sure what the problem is, so I thought
> I'd post here, in case anyone can help, even though it may not be an
> actual Emacs problem...
>
> Trying to refresh my package list results in the following error:
>
> error in process filter: Error retrieving:
> https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/archive-contents (error http 400)

Do you get this error straight away, or after a timeout?

> Funny thing is, I can paste that URI in the address bar of my browser
> and the file loads just fine.
>
> Looking at this reddit page:
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/arnbhb/cant_reach_elpa_for_the_last_couple_of_days/
>
> I tried the same thing as in one of the posts there, and indeed,
> `nslookp elpa.gnu.org` gives me:
>

> ```
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:   elpa.gnu.org
> Address: 209.51.188.89
> Name:   elpa.gnu.org
> Address: 2001:470:142:5::89
> ```
>
> and then `ping elpa.gnu.org` yields:
>
> ```
> PING elpa.gnu.org(2001:470:142:5::89 (2001:470:142:5::89)) 56 data
> bytes
> From 2001:470:142::1 (2001:470:142::1) icmp_seq=1 Destination
> unreachable: Address unreachable
> ```

Any chance of you running tcpdump or wireshark to capture what traffic
Emacs is sending?

> Several IPv6 test sites tell me my IPv6 connectivity is fine, except
> for one, which states that "Your router or firewall is filtering
> ICMPv6 messages sent to your computer."
>
> So I'm wondering if that may be the cause of the problem and if yes,
> what can I do about it?

You may have a not-quite-working IPv6 setup, which is causing Emacs to
try to connect via IPv6 and failing rather than falling back to IPv4.

Could you let us know which version of Emacs this is? Also that
network trace would be *really* useful.

Thanks

Robert

* Re: GNU Elpa not reachable (possibly OT)
@ 2019-02-18 18:19   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2019-02-18 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> You may have a not-quite-working IPv6 setup, which is causing Emacs to
> try to connect via IPv6 and failing rather than falling back to IPv4.

Now that Iʼm actually back on an IPv6 network: it looks like
elpa.gnu.org is not actually reachable via IPv6 at the moment, so
contacting the savannah admins is the way to go.

Robert

* Re: GNU Elpa not reachable (possibly OT)
@ 2019-02-18 21:10   ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2019-02-18 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Feb 18 2019, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
[...]
> Write to savannah-hackers-public@gnu.org with these details.

Ok, done. Thanks.

--

@ 2019-02-19  0:17   ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2019-02-19  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Joost Kremers wrote:
> > PING elpa.gnu.org(2001:470:142:5::89 (2001:470:142:5::89)) 56 data
> > bytes
> > >From 2001:470:142::1 (2001:470:142::1) icmp_seq=1 Destination
> > unreachable: Address unreachable
>
> Write to savannah-hackers-public@gnu.org with these details.

The Savannah folks are a different set from the Emacs ELPA folks.
Although Ian, one of the FSF admins, is subscribed and therefore
perhaps he might jump in.  But talking to the Emacs ELPA folks
directly would be more direct.  I don't know who they are.

Bob

* Re: GNU Elpa not reachable (possibly OT)
@ 2019-02-19  3:37     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-02-19  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 17:17:12 -0700
> From: Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Joost Kremers wrote:
> > > PING elpa.gnu.org(2001:470:142:5::89 (2001:470:142:5::89)) 56 data
> > > bytes
> > > unreachable: Address unreachable
> >
> > Write to savannah-hackers-public@gnu.org with these details.
>
> The Savannah folks are a different set from the Emacs ELPA folks.
> Although Ian, one of the FSF admins, is subscribed and therefore
> perhaps he might jump in.  But talking to the Emacs ELPA folks
> directly would be more direct.  I don't know who they are.

Not sure what you mean.  ELPA is hosted on Savannah, it's a Git
repository, and the problem sounds like connectivity problem with
IPv6, so savannah-hackers-public sounds appropriate to me.

* Re: GNU Elpa not reachable (possibly OT)
@ 2019-02-19  5:07       ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2019-02-19  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > The Savannah folks are a different set from the Emacs ELPA folks.
> > Although Ian, one of the FSF admins, is subscribed and therefore
> > perhaps he might jump in.  But talking to the Emacs ELPA folks
> > directly would be more direct.  I don't know who they are.
>
> Not sure what you mean.  ELPA is hosted on Savannah, it's a Git
> repository, and the problem sounds like connectivity problem with
> IPv6, so savannah-hackers-public sounds appropriate to me.

But the report was about elpa.gnu.org:

> > error in process filter: Error retrieving:
> > https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/archive-contents (error http 400)

I see no *.savannah.gnu.org in that URL path.  elpa.gnu.org is a
separate machine.  (I can't log into it.  I have no access to it.  I
have no idea what happens there.  I don't know who administers that
system.  I am pretty sure it is another VM in the FSF hosting because
it is on the same subnet.  But that is as far I know anything about it.)

What is hosted on Savannah is the git repository, which is part of
Emacs and that is at one of these paths for git access.

  git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git
  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs.git
  ssh://git.savannah.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs.git

And the cgit web page of the git source.

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/

And the Savannah project page for Emacs is:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs

If it doesn't have savannah.gnu.org or savannah.nongnu.org in the URL
then the Savannah Hackers team doesn't have access to it.

[[Aside: Additionally for my involvement I also have limited access to
lists.gnu.org for mailing list stuff.  But that is a separate thing
almost entirely from Savannah.  Things like the OS on lists.gnu.org
and Mailman installation are almost entirely in the control of the FSF
admins.  (I would get in there and fix Mailman bugs if I could.)  I
have limited access however so you will see me answering mailing list
issues.  (And all of the anti-spam cancelbot "listhelper" happens on
my own server machines outside of any of the gnu.org systems.)  There
are a few very specific Savannah web UI actions that will trigger
things like new mailing list creation and password reset.  About half
of the mailing lists were created by web UI button push and the other
half were created outside of Savannah.  But other than that the
mailing lists are almost an entirely different area from Savannah.]]

Bob

* Re: GNU Elpa not reachable (possibly OT)
@ 2019-02-19 16:05         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-02-19 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 22:07:22 -0700
> From: Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Bob Proulx wrote:
> > > The Savannah folks are a different set from the Emacs ELPA folks.
> > > Although Ian, one of the FSF admins, is subscribed and therefore
> > > perhaps he might jump in.  But talking to the Emacs ELPA folks
> > > directly would be more direct.  I don't know who they are.
> >
> > Not sure what you mean.  ELPA is hosted on Savannah, it's a Git
> > repository, and the problem sounds like connectivity problem with
> > IPv6, so savannah-hackers-public sounds appropriate to me.
>
> But the report was about elpa.gnu.org:
>
> > > error in process filter: Error retrieving:
> > > https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/archive-contents (error http 400)
>
> I see no *.savannah.gnu.org in that URL path.  elpa.gnu.org is a
> separate machine.  (I can't log into it.  I have no access to it.  I
> have no idea what happens there.  I don't know who administers that
> system.  I am pretty sure it is another VM in the FSF hosting because
> it is on the same subnet.  But that is as far I know anything about it.)
>
> What is hosted on Savannah is the git repository, which is part of
> Emacs and that is at one of these paths for git access.
>
>   git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git
>   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs.git
>   ssh://git.savannah.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs.git

I assumed these were one and the same.  Apologies if I was mistaken.

* Re: GNU Elpa not reachable (possibly OT)
@ 2019-02-19 16:59           ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2019-02-19 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Feb 19 2019, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
[savannah.gnu.org != elpa.gnu.org]
> I assumed these were one and the same.  Apologies if I was
> mistaken.

OK, so then in that case, where *do* I send my message to?
<https://elpa.gnu.org> doesn't mention any webmaster or
anything... I'm still not able to connect, BTW. :-(

--

@ 2019-02-19 17:03   ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2019-02-19 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Feb 18 2019, Robert Pluim wrote:
>> error in process filter: Error retrieving:
>> https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/archive-contents (error http 400)
>
> Do you get this error straight away, or after a timeout?

It takes a bit of time. Sometimes it doesn't appear at all. I
normally use paradox, which just sits there trying to refresh the
package list. If I disable paradox, I get this error, though not
straight away.

> Any chance of you running tcpdump or wireshark to capture what
> traffic
> Emacs is sending?

tcpdump is installed on my machine, but the man page doesn't tell
me what command I'd have to enter to get the results you're
interested in, so you'd have to help me out a bit.

> You may have a not-quite-working IPv6 setup, which is causing
> Emacs to
> try to connect via IPv6 and failing rather than falling back to
> IPv4.
>
> Could you let us know which version of Emacs this is? Also that
> network trace would be *really* useful.

"GNU Emacs 26.1.91 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.22.30)\n of 2019-02-04"

--

@ 2019-02-19 17:05             ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2019-02-19 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joost Kremers wrote:
> OK, so then in that case, where *do* I send my message to?
> <https://elpa.gnu.org> doesn't mention any webmaster or anything... I'm
> still not able to connect, BTW. :-(

I just saw Ian (FSF admin) send a note saying that elpa.gnu.org was
back up again.

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2019-02/msg00024.html

I don't know anything more.  Other than that one of the admins
mentioned that they had 700 new tickets in the queue from the long
weekend to work through.

Bob

* Re: GNU Elpa not reachable (possibly OT)
@ 2019-02-19 17:27             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-02-19 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm>
> Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 17:59:06 +0100
>
> OK, so then in that case, where *do* I send my message to?

sysadmin@gnu.org.  But Ian already saw the complaint, and said he was
working on the problem, so no need to repeat this time.

* Re: GNU Elpa not reachable (possibly OT)
@ 2019-02-19 19:08     ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2019-02-19 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 18 2019, Robert Pluim wrote:
>>> error in process filter: Error retrieving:
>>> https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/archive-contents (error http 400)
>>
>> Do you get this error straight away, or after a timeout?
>
> It takes a bit of time. Sometimes it doesn't appear at all. I normally
> use paradox, which just sits there trying to refresh the package
> list. If I disable paradox, I get this error, though not straight
> away.

That does sound like some kind of networking issue, although
elpa.gnu.org was down for a while.

>> Any chance of you running tcpdump or wireshark to capture what
>> traffic
>> Emacs is sending?
>
> tcpdump is installed on my machine, but the man page doesn't tell me
> what command I'd have to enter to get the results you're interested
> in, so you'd have to help me out a bit.

tcpdump -i any 'host 209.51.188.89 or host 2001:470:142:5::89'

(perhaps with a 'sudo' in front of it, depending on your system)

Iʼm guessing this will show emacs connecting to the IPv6 address,
failing, and then falling back to the IPv4.

Iʼm seeing this now as well, and there does seem to be a bug in emacs,
which Iʼll take to emacs-devel.

>> Could you let us know which version of Emacs this is? Also that
>> network trace would be *really* useful.
>
> "GNU Emacs 26.1.91 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
> 3.22.30)\n of 2019-02-04"

Thanks

* Re: GNU Elpa not reachable (possibly OT)
@ 2019-02-20  9:10               ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2019-02-20  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Feb 19 2019, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm>
>> Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 17:59:06 +0100
>>
>> OK, so then in that case, where *do* I send my message to?
>
> sysadmin@gnu.org.  But Ian already saw the complaint, and said
> he was
> working on the problem, so no need to repeat this time.

Ok, thanks for letting me know.

--

@ 2019-02-20  9:42       ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2019-02-20  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Feb 19 2019, Robert Pluim wrote:
> That does sound like some kind of networking issue, although
> elpa.gnu.org was down for a while.

It's apparently up again, but my problem hasn't gone away.

> tcpdump -i any 'host 209.51.188.89 or host 2001:470:142:5::89'

```
joost@IdeaPad:~$ sudo tcpdump -i any 'host 209.51.188.89 or host
2001:470:142:5::89'
[sudo] password for joost:
tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full
protocol decode
listening on any, link-type LINUX_SLL (Linux cooked), capture size
262144 bytes
10:13:19.903664 IP6 IdeaPad.39970 > 2001:470:142:5::89.https:
Flags [S], seq 2316084917, win 28800, options [mss 1440,sackOK,TS
val 24582028 ecr 0,nop,wscale 7], length 0
10:13:20.917576 IP6 IdeaPad.39970 > 2001:470:142:5::89.https:
Flags [S], seq 2316084917, win 28800, options [mss 1440,sackOK,TS
val 24583042 ecr 0,nop,wscale 7], length 0
10:13:22.933580 IP6 IdeaPad.39970 > 2001:470:142:5::89.https:
Flags [S], seq 2316084917, win 28800, options [mss 1440,sackOK,TS
val 24585058 ecr 0,nop,wscale 7], length 0
^C
3 packets captured
3 packets received by filter
0 packets dropped by kernel
```

This is after calling `M-x list-packages` in Emacs. I let it run
for a few minutes at least, but this was all that tcpdump
reported.

I have no idea what you can tell from this dump, but do let me
know if you think it's something on my end.

TIA

Joost

--

@ 2019-02-20 10:15         ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2019-02-20 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 19 2019, Robert Pluim wrote:
>> That does sound like some kind of networking issue, although
>> elpa.gnu.org was down for a while.
>
> It's apparently up again, but my problem hasn't gone away.
>
>> tcpdump -i any 'host 209.51.188.89 or host 2001:470:142:5::89'
>
> ```
> joost@IdeaPad:~$ sudo tcpdump -i any 'host 209.51.188.89 or host
> 2001:470:142:5::89'
> [sudo] password for joost:
> tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol
> decode
> listening on any, link-type LINUX_SLL (Linux cooked), capture size
> 262144 bytes
> 10:13:19.903664 IP6 IdeaPad.39970 > 2001:470:142:5::89.https: Flags
> [S], seq 2316084917, win 28800, options [mss 1440,sackOK,TS val
> 24582028 ecr 0,nop,wscale 7], length 0
> 10:13:20.917576 IP6 IdeaPad.39970 > 2001:470:142:5::89.https: Flags
> [S], seq 2316084917, win 28800, options [mss 1440,sackOK,TS val
> 24583042 ecr 0,nop,wscale 7], length 0
> 10:13:22.933580 IP6 IdeaPad.39970 > 2001:470:142:5::89.https: Flags
> [S], seq 2316084917, win 28800, options [mss 1440,sackOK,TS val
> 24585058 ecr 0,nop,wscale 7], length 0
> ^C
> 3 packets captured
> 3 packets received by filter
> 0 packets dropped by kernel
> ```
>
> This is after calling `M-x list-packages` in Emacs. I let it run for a
> few minutes at least, but this was all that tcpdump reported.
>
> I have no idea what you can tell from this dump, but do let me know if
> you think it's something on my end.

Itʼs not responding on IPv6. Probably because it doesnʼt have that
IPv6 address configured, which its admins will be doing at some
point. If you'd left it longer you'd have seen it trying IPv4, and
failing, which is an Emacs problem.

The only workaround I can suggest in the interim is to use its IPv4
address explicitly in package-archives, ie

(setq package-archives '(("gnu". "https://209.51.188.89/packages/")))

which will probably elicit warnings from the network-security-manager,
but in this particular case they're harmless.

Robert

* Re: GNU Elpa not reachable (possibly OT)
@ 2019-03-01  7:27 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2019-03-01  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

just FYI, this issue appears to be resolved now. elpa.gnu.org is
pingable again (though it connects to the IPv4 address) and
updating my packages in Emacs also works again.

Thanks to all who helped fix this.

Best,

Joost

--

@ 2019-03-01 10:02   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2019-03-01 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> writes:

> Hi,
>
> just FYI, this issue appears to be resolved now. elpa.gnu.org is
> pingable again (though it connects to the IPv4 address) and updating
> my packages in Emacs also works again.

Thatʼs because the IPv6 DNS entry was removed :-)

> Thanks to all who helped fix this.

Youʼre welcome.

Robert

* Re: GNU Elpa not reachable (possibly OT)
@ 2019-03-01 21:06   ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2019-03-01 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers, help-gnu-emacs

Same trouble here until I installed a tls package, then all of that
trouble went away.