all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* running (ruby) scripts from within emacs
@ 2003-09-11  9:10 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-09-11  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Emacs users,

I edit a ruby script (or a shell-script or whatever) and I would like
to run this script with one or two keypresses (or M-x something) from
within emacs. What is the way to go? Is there (this sounds very
likely for me) a built in mechanism for this?

Patrick
--
Silent is the goldfish in its bowl

* Re: running (ruby) scripts from within emacs
@ 2003-09-14  3:13 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-09-14  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach <newsgroup@levana.de> writes:

> I edit a ruby script (or a shell-script or whatever) and I would like
> to run this script with one or two keypresses (or M-x something) from
> within emacs. What is the way to go? Is there (this sounds very
> likely for me) a built in mechanism for this?

In shell-script mode there's `C-M-x' for running the region, and
`C-c C-x' for running the file.  Do `C-h m' in the mode to see the
available commands.

I don't know about Ruby -- if there is a Ruby mode it probably offers
something equivalent.

* Re: running (ruby) scripts from within emacs
@ 2003-09-14 18:42   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-09-14 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

Hello,

> In shell-script mode there's `C-M-x' for running the region, and
> `C-c C-x' for running the file.  Do `C-h m' in the mode to see the
> available commands.

I should use describe-mode more often. Thanks for your answer.

> I don't know about Ruby -- if there is a Ruby mode it probably offers
> something equivalent.

There is a ruby-mode shipped with emacs but no keystroke like the ones
you mentioned. I think I need to cook something up myself.

Patrick