Emanuel Berg writes: > BobD writes: > >> Is there a way I can specify on the command line >> which .emacs file to use? > > emacs(1) says: > > -u user, --user user > Load user's init file. > >> I am now using this command line: runemacs.exe -q -l >> /Directory/.emacs The "-q" means not to use a .emacs >> file. The "-l" loads the named file. But the "-q" >> suppresses saving customizations. > > Don't use customize, instead edit the .emacs file(s) > by hand using any text editor around - why not > Emacs itself? Agreed. But sometimes it is necessary to use customizations (or much easier, or di=one without my knowledge,...). So I have the following as the last statement in my .emacs file: ,---- | * Load customizations | Load customizations done through the Customization interface in emacs. | New customizations will be stored in this file. | #+begin_src emacs-lisp | (setq custom-file "~/.emacs.d/customfile.el") | (load custom-file) | #+end_src `---- This should load the customizations, even when using the -q approach mentioned. And the customizations are in their own file. Cheers, Rainer -- Rainer M. Krug email: Rainerkrugsde PGP: 0x0F52F982